Results of 2003 Pan-American InterCollegiate Team Chess Championships?

Old January 3rd 04, 04:39 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default Results of 2003 Pan-American InterCollegiate Team Chess Championships?

Does anybody know of a website that lists the results of 2003
Pan-American InterCollegiate Team Chess Championships, held in Miami,
Florida, this past weekend? I've heard that UT--Dallas won, while UMBC
could only garner 2nd. UMBC lost its big match vs.
UT-Dallas....However, I have yet to be able to find a crosstable, or
find out how the rest of the teams fared. Any information is
appreciated. Thanks!

Old January 3rd 04, 07:10 AM
sandirhodes

"Isidor Gunsberg" wrote
Does anybody know of a website that lists the results of 2003
Pan-American InterCollegiate Team Chess Championships, held in Miami,
Florida, this past weekend? I've heard that UT--Dallas won, while UMBC
could only garner 2nd. UMBC lost its big match vs.
UT-Dallas....However, I have yet to be able to find a crosstable, or
find out how the rest of the teams fared. Any information is
appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm. Isn't 'Pan-American' a trademark of the Olympics, therefore not usable?

Old January 7th 04, 09:50 PM
Bruce Leverett

I found the following website, which is an article about the
tournament:

http://www.thechessdrum.net/newsbrie..._PanAms03.html

Still waiting to see a complete list of all teams, all players, etc.

It appears they have made a significant start on reform of eligibility
requirements. Last year I complained noisily in this forum about
teams having middle-aged chess professionals on their top boards. It
appears I was not the only one (and probably not the first one or the
most serious one, either). Of course the reforms they have enacted
are only a beginning; the issues are very complicated and will take
years to sort out (as in other sports).

Thanks to "The Chess Drum" for this interesting article.

Bruce Leverett

Old January 9th 04, 02:31 PM
KidDon

(Isidor Gunsberg) wrote in message . com...
Does anybody know of a website that lists the results of 2003
Pan-American InterCollegiate Team Chess Championships, held in Miami,
Florida, this past weekend? I've heard that UT--Dallas won, while UMBC
could only garner 2nd. UMBC lost its big match vs.
UT-Dallas....However, I have yet to be able to find a crosstable, or
find out how the rest of the teams fared. Any information is
appreciated. Thanks!

_____________________________________
I e-mailed the full results to those of you who had serious inquiries
here. Here are some partial results. The UMBC B Team, led by GM Alex
Shertzer and IM Eugene Perelshteyn took a clear 1st. The UMBC A Team,
consisting of GM Alex Onischuk, GM Alex Wojkiewicz, GM Pawel Blehm,
and IM Pascal Charbonneau finished second. The UTD A team, led by GM
Yury Shulman, IM Dmitry Schneider and GM Marcin Kaminski, finished
3rd. Close behind was the team of young men from Miami-Dade
Community College, led by FM Bruci Lopez, Alberto Hernandez, and FM
Javier Torres. The New York University team led by IM Irina Krush and
WIM Jennifer Shahade finished 9th (note: this team was strong on the
1st two boards, but board three was a 1589 player, and it went down
from there). The Brooklyn College team led by GM Boris Kreiman and FM
Yevgeniy Gershov finished a disappointing, distant 10th, even though
it had Mikhail Belorusov and Peter Aravena on boards 3 and 4. The MIT
team featuring Yelena Gorlin and WIM Elina Groberman finished 12th.
30 teams participated, including teams from Peru, Canada and Puerto
Rico. The event is moving to KC next year, although I wonder if as
many teams will travel to 0 - 20 degree weather rather than Miami's
60-75 degree weather in December. We'll wait and see.

KidDon
Old January 9th 04, 02:38 PM
KidDon

(Isidor Gunsberg) wrote in message . com...
Does anybody know of a website that lists the results of 2003
Pan-American InterCollegiate Team Chess Championships, held in Miami,
Florida, this past weekend? I've heard that UT--Dallas won, while UMBC
could only garner 2nd. UMBC lost its big match vs.
UT-Dallas....However, I have yet to be able to find a crosstable, or
find out how the rest of the teams fared. Any information is
appreciated. Thanks!

Pam Am Intercollegiate Team Championship
Embassy Suites Hotel, Miami, Florida
December 27 30, 2003
Chief TD: Dr. Ira Lee Riddle
Organizers: Arden & Suzie Dilley
Place School Match Points
1st University of Texas, Dallas A - Team 5.5
2nd University of Maryland, Baltimore County A-Team 5.0
2nd University of Texas, Dallas B-Team 5.0
4th Miami-Dade College 4.5
5th Brooklyn College A-Team 4.0
5th (6th) University of Maryland, Baltimore County B-Team 4.0
5th (7th) University of Toronto A-Team 4.0
5th (8th) (Pontifica Universidad Catolica 4.0
9th Massachssetts Institute of Technology 4.0
10th Princeton University 3.5

1st Board 1 GM Leonil Yudasin (Brooklyn College A-Team)
1st Board 2 Vladimir Pechenkin (Toronto A-Team)
1st Board 3 Eugene Perelshtein (UMBC A- Team)
1st Board 4 Jeff Hawel (Western Ontario B-Team)
Top Alternate Michal Kujovic (UTD B-Team)

Top Under 2000 Emory University
Top Under 1800 Duke University
Top Under 1600 CUNY Baruch College (MD)
Top Under 1400 Monroe College A-Team
Top 2 Year School Montgomery College (MD)
Top Small School (Inter American University of Puerto Rico

Temperature in Miami: 73 in Kansas City: 0 + winds! J
Old January 9th 04, 11:50 PM
KJ2350

Some of you noticed already, but the first results I posted were from
2002, not 2003. The organizer had sent me the wrong file. The second
post he sent me (and which I posted) supposedly has correct, albeit
incomplete results. Sorry for any confusion.

KidDon

Yeah, you got the temperature in KC wrong , too! (Go CHIEFS!)

Ken