Timman-Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1) [Best Game of 1979]

Old January 16th 04, 06:04 AM
Gregory Topov

Default Timman-Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1) [Best Game of 1979]

Does anyone have any information or annotations on the following game?
Timman - Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1)
I have been able to find very little information about it, even though it
makes for some spectacular chess.

It's a fascinating game, as Karpov (black) first launches a knight sacrifice
that Timman (white) can't afford to take, and then makes white's helpless
king dance from one side of the board to the other with some astonishing
tactics, weaving his spell of magic to win a game that was judged the best
game played in 1979!

In particular the position and line that develops after Karpov's amazing
15...Nxh2! is amazing! Some terrific tactics here that will really set your
mind whirring.
Also check out 27...c5! as Karpov attacks Timman's bishop with an
unprotected hanging pawn, and Timman with white has no option but to capture
it because his bishop has nowhere to go...but he really doesn't want to
capture it because of the consequences that follow!
These two positions and their implications are probably the highlight of the
game.

A great game, apparently judged the best game of 1979, and worth playing
through. The PGN follows below. I'd welcome any comments/analysis!
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

[Event "Montreal"]
[Site "Montreal"]
[Date "1979"]
[EventDate "?"]
[Round "?"]
[Result "0-1"]
[White "Timman, Jan"]
[Black "Karpov, Anatoli"]
[ECO "A28"]
[PlyCount "62"]

1. c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 e5 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. e3 Be7 5. d4 exd4 6. Nxd4 O-O 7. Nxc6 bxc6
8. Be2 d5 9. O-O Bd6 10. b3 Qe7 11. Bb2 dxc4 12. bxc4 Rb8 13. Qc1 Ng4 14. g3
Re8 15. Nd1 Nxh2 16. c5 Nxf1 17. cxd6 Nxg3 18. fxg3 Qxd6 19. Kf2 Qh6 20. Bd4
Qh2+ 21. Ke1 Qxg3+ 22. Kd2 Qg2 23. Nb2 Ba6 24. Nd3 Bxd3 25. Kxd3 Rbd8 26.
Bf1 Qe4+ 27. Kc3 c5 28. Bxc5 Qc6 29. Kb3 Rb8+ 30. Ka3 Re5 31. Bb4 Qb6 0-1

Old January 16th 04, 09:40 AM
Antonio Torrecillas

Hello Gregory,

I remember to have read that that line was prepared to be played versus
Korchnoi in Baguio, but it did not happen in any game. Karpov finally
used this laboratory analysis a year later in this game.

The move key was 11...dxc4 (Zaitsev idea) which was analyzed very
depply. It's a very nice game.

AT

En/na Gregory Topov ha escrit:

Old January 16th 04, 10:54 AM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Gregory Topov ha escrit:

Does anyone have any information or annotations on the following game?
Timman - Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1)

I have searched in my library, ... here you have some sources:

- Anatole Karpov, Parties choisies 1969-1979
Ed du progres Moscou

- Chess Informant 28, game 40

Old January 16th 04, 02:24 PM
Bob Musicant

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have any information or annotations on the following game?
Timman - Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1)
I have been able to find very little information about it, even though it
makes for some spectacular chess.

Contact me privately through www.musicant.com and I will get a copy of
Karpov's annotations to you.

Bob

Old January 16th 04, 03:55 PM
EZoto

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:04:04 -0500, "Gregory Topov"
wrote:

Does anyone have any information or annotations on the following game?
Timman - Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1)
I have been able to find very little information about it, even though it
makes for some spectacular chess.

If you really enjoy that game then you can hear karpov analyse it
himself. It is on CM3000 Multimedia edition for Windows 3.1 and 95.
That was when CM3000 was the premier software at the time. Karpov
analysed and commented on 10 of his favorite games in CM3000 and they
moved some of those game to CM4000 MM. It is really amazing listening
to him talk about that game.

EZoto
Old January 16th 04, 05:07 PM
Gregory Topov

s.com...
wrote:

Does anyone have any information or annotations on the following game?
Timman - Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1)

If you really enjoy that game then you can hear karpov analyse it
himself. It is on CM3000 Multimedia edition for Windows 3.1 and 95.
That was when CM3000 was the premier software at the time. Karpov
analysed and commented on 10 of his favorite games in CM3000 and they
moved some of those game to CM4000 MM. It is really amazing listening
to him talk about that game.

I recently purchased ChessMaster 9000, which comes with 825 annotated (text,
not audio) games, but unfortunately the 1979 Timman-Karpov game isn't one of
them. Thanks for the tip though.

Old January 16th 04, 06:04 PM
TomD

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message ...
Does anyone have any information or annotations on the following game?
Timman - Karpov, Montreal 1979 (0-1)
I have been able to find very little information about it, even though it
makes for some spectacular chess.

It's annotated by Karpov in _Anatoly Karpov's Best Games_, Batsford
(Henry Holt), 1996. Including the anecdote re. novelty previously
prepared for Korchnoi/Baguio.
Old January 16th 04, 06:43 PM
kempelen

Here you have a short comments (sorry, only spanish):

Timman - Karpov [A28]
Montreal, 1979

1.c4 f6 2.c3 e5 3.f3 c6 4.e3 Ms comn es g3. 4...e7 5.d4 Como
pronto quedar claro, est jugada natural permitira a las negras un
maravilloso juego 5...exd4 6.xd4 [6.exd4 d5! 7.cxd5 xd5 8.b5 0-0
Con buen juego para las negras.] 6...0-0 7.xc6 bxc6 8.e2 d5 9.0-0
d6 10.b3 e7 11.b2
r1b2rk1/p1p1qppp/2pb1n2/3p4/2P5/1PN1P3/PB2BPPP/R2Q1RK1 b - - 0 11
11...dxc4! Las negras solucionan su problema fundamental ampliando el
radio de accin de sus piezas, dispuestas para emprender un ataque en
el flanco de rey. 12.bxc4 b8 13.c1 g4 El ataque negro se desarrolla
facilmente, con naturalidad. 14.g3 e8 15.d1 xh2! 16.c5 xf1!
17.cxd6 xg3!
1rb1r1k1/p1p1qppp/2pP4/8/8/4P1n1/PB2BP2/R1QN2K1 w - - 0 18
18.fxg3 xd6 19.f2 h6 20.d4 h2+ 21.e1 xg3+ 22.d2 g2 23.b2 a6
24.d3 xd3 25.xd3 bd8 26.f1 e4+ 27.c3 c5! 28.xc5 c6 29.b3
b8+ 30.a3 e5 31.b4 b6 0-1

There are a lot of comments on Karpov's best games book

Old January 16th 04, 11:34 PM
KJ2350

See also the tournament book!
Old January 17th 04, 12:04 AM
John McCumiskey

Greetings all!

I don't have it in front of me, but wasn't the Timman-Karpov game
analyzed in "Montreal 1979: Tournament of Stars". It may be available
at Amazon.com ... excellent book!

It is lightly annotated at http://www.endgame.nl/montreal.htm

John McCumiskey

Antonio Torrecillas wrote:
[...]

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn
the world, but to save the world through Him. John 3:17