Danish Gambit

Old July 14th 03, 12:06 AM
Radek Dobias

Default Danish Gambit

Anybody knows of any decent books on Danish Gambit?

It is a rather aggresive, wild opening. White sacrifices two pawns for a
strong attack in the opening. When I played it for the first time in a local
club, I defeated a 2000 player in the first 15 moves (I am about 1500). Of
course, he creamed me the next game (lol)....

It makes me wonder if the gambit is unsound, and if not, is there any decent
literature on it.

Radek Dobias

Old July 14th 03, 05:38 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I play it on the Internet pretty frequently for fun. ECO gives = in the
best line for Black, although ECO's main lines tend to emphasize giving back
material in gambits.

I have "Danish Gambit" by "W. John Lutes", which is reads more like my
grandmother's genealogy notes than an opening monograph, but it's a good
book to have if you play the Danish.

I always struggle the most against people who decline it, like 1. e4 e5 2.
d4 ed 3. c3 d5. When someone goggles up the material I tend to win quickly.

-Douglas

Old July 14th 03, 08:34 PM
Mike Ogush

Some other resources:

"Centre Game and Danish Gambit" by Picket [I think that his is out of
print, but still available on-line.]
"Play the Open Games as Black" by Emms [This is of course from
Black's point of view]

If you have access to a Windows PC then there is also some CDs you
might be interested in published by Franco Pezzi (see
http://www.gambitchess.com/gambitingly/gamb.htm and some other on-line
stores). He has three CD's on gambits: 1) King's Gambit 2) 1.e4
Gambits (except the King's Gambit) [This covers the Danish] and 3)
1.d4 gambits. You can buy all three on what CD called "The Gambitingly
Way". These are all e-books in Chessbase format. They include
collections of unannotated games, annotated games and presentation of
basic plans of in Chessbase opening report format. Each CD also has a
copy of ChessBase lite on it so you don't need to get any additional
software to view the books. One opteential difficulty of the CD:
there is a mixture of Italian and English text; however, I managed to
find my way around the e-book without knowing any Italian.

John Watson in one of his review colums commented that there is quite
a bit of coverage of the Danish Gambit in "Modern Chess Openings 14th
edition"

For further information on the Danish you may also want to check
issues of some magizines. I believe "Kaissiber", "Myers Opening
Bulletin", "Gambit Review" and "ChessMail"(covering correspondence
chess where the Danish shows up occasionally) all have had articles on
the Danish Gambit.

Mike Ogush

BTW: You can order the 2nd edition of the Lute's book from
www.chessdirect.co.uk.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:38:57 GMT, "Douglas L Stewart"
wrote:

I play it on the Internet pretty frequently for fun. ECO gives = in the
best line for Black, although ECO's main lines tend to emphasize giving back
material in gambits.

I have "Danish Gambit" by "W. John Lutes", which is reads more like my
grandmother's genealogy notes than an opening monograph, but it's a good
book to have if you play the Danish.

I always struggle the most against people who decline it, like 1. e4 e5 2.
d4 ed 3. c3 d5. When someone goggles up the material I tend to win quickly.

-Douglas

.. .

Old July 15th 03, 12:51 AM
Fritz Wuehler

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote:

I play it on the Internet pretty frequently for fun. ECO gives = in
the best line for Black, although ECO's main lines tend to emphasize
giving back material in gambits.

I have "Danish Gambit" by "W. John Lutes", which is reads more like
my grandmother's genealogy notes than an opening monograph, but it's
a good book to have if you play the Danish.

I always struggle the most against people who decline it,
like 1. e4 e5 2. d4 ed 3. c3 d5. When someone goggles up the
material I tend to win quickly.

-Douglas

What a loser. You play a bad line because you have no chance with
"normal" lines. You beat some beginners with some incorrect sacrifices,
that's all. You lose against reasonable play and probably disconnect
if the gambit doesn't work. A waste of time, especially for your
opponents. It is not a problem for you, of course, since you wouldn't
do less demented things ("fun") in your spare time anyway,
but for your opponents it is.
I think I can't go wrong by saying that you don't know anything about
the Ruy Lopez for example.
But you are not alone, boy! There are many posters here like this.
I just took your example.

Old July 15th 03, 04:32 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I guess I am being silly responding to a troll, but here goes anyway.

"I play it on the Internet frequently for fun." was what I said, wiith "for
fun" being the key part of that sentence. It is not part of my tournament
repertoire.

I'm actually rather clueless about the Ruy Lopez, since I usually drop the
bishop on c4 on the way to b5.

ll.eu.org...