Ruy López - Exchange Variation

Old February 4th 04, 01:54 PM
Holbox

Default Ruy López - Exchange Variation

Hi people,

I would like to improve my end game skills that's why i try to play this
variation, whenever i can, to simplify the game. I usually play in this way:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6
4. BxNc6 dxNc6
5. Nc3... (threatening Nxe5)

Here black usually plays : f6 or Bg4

5. ... f6
6. d4 exd4
7. Qxd4 QxQd4
8. NxQd4

At this point black sometimes plays : c5 (where should i put the
knight, e2, b3,f3?) And which would be the plan?

5. ... Bg4
6. h3 (I will rock long and i *want* to excange a knight for a bishop)

6.... BxNf3 (if Bh5 then g4!)
7. QxBf3 Qf6

What should i do here? Exchange queens? Qe2? Qe3?

Thx
Old February 5th 04, 03:58 PM
Ajeje Brazov

Holbox wrote in message
Hi people,

I would like to improve my end game skills that's why i try to play this
variation, whenever i can, to simplify the game. I usually play in this

way:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6
4. BxNc6 dxNc6
5. Nc3... (threatening Nxe5)

You will surely know that Fischer's (Lasker's) 5.0-0 is better (there's no
point in long castle since white must win with the majority in the
kingside).

Here black usually plays : f6 or Bg4

5. ... f6
6. d4 exd4
7. Qxd4 QxQd4
8. NxQd4

At this point black sometimes plays : c5 (where should i put the
knight, e2, b3,f3?) And which would be the plan?

The best is Ne2 with the idea of supporting the bishop in f4, because it has
to be exchanged with black's darksquared bishop.
The best endgame that white can get, infact, is not the endgame with only
king and pawns (of course black will never allow it!), but an endgame in
which white has a Knight and black has the lightsquared bishop, and where
white's queenside pawns are in black squares, so that black's bishop turns
out to be completely unuseful, and white can complete his goal of advancing
his kingside pawns and create a passed pawn. Of course all these things
happen in the ideal world, but Ne2 is the only way for a try

5. ... Bg4

This move is completely pointless here, and black loses the great strategic
imbalance of the bishop pair without compensation (he gave structural
weakness for bishop pair and activity, and in one move he gives away
activity and bishop pair but still has doubled pawns!)

6. h3 (I will rock long and i *want* to excange a knight for a bishop)

6.... BxNf3 (if Bh5 then g4!)
7. QxBf3 Qf6

What should i do here? Exchange queens? Qe2? Qe3?

Everything is playable here, I think (QxQ, Qg3, Qh5). I would probably play
d3. If black takes the queen, white gets the g file and can fight easily for
the centre (f3-f4).

Ciao,
Ajeje Brazov

Old February 5th 04, 11:20 PM
Holbox

You will surely know that Fischer's (Lasker's) 5.0-0 is better (there's no
point in long castle since white must win with the majority in the
kingside).

I know the games but, sorry, I don't understand this. Do you mean King
should remaind at the side where can get a passed pawn? Is it an
unrefutable "dogma" in pawn's ending?

Everything is playable here, I think (QxQ, Qg3, Qh5). I would probably

play
d3. If black takes the queen, white gets the g file and can fight easily

for
the centre (f3-f4).

I like this line! I will probably play some games in this way to check it!

Thx

Old February 6th 04, 10:51 AM
Ajeje Brazov

Terry wrote in message

You will surely know that Fischer's (Lasker's) 5.0-0 is better (there's

no
point in long castle since white must win with the majority in the
kingside).

According to you the ruy lopez is a forced win for white.
This is obviously not true.

I should have written "might" instead of "must". Sorry. English is not my
first language. Of course i didn't mean that white has a forced win, and I
know that: I always play this line as black.

Ciao,
Ajeje Brazov

Old February 6th 04, 11:09 AM
Ajeje Brazov

Holbox wrote in message ...

You will surely know that Fischer's (Lasker's) 5.0-0 is better (there's

no
point in long castle since white must win with the majority in the
kingside).

I know the games but, sorry, I don't understand this. Do you mean King
should remaind at the side where can get a passed pawn? Is it an
unrefutable "dogma" in pawn's ending?

It's not a dogma. It's just common sense: in the endgame the king usually
supports the pawn advances. If the enemy king is closer to your pawns he can
be a "wolf among sheeps".

I forgot to tell you one thing: if u want to improve your endgame skills
this is a good opening, but not the best. I think u should go for some
openings that are likely to end in rook endings (eg: Queen's gambit
declined) because it's the most common and most difficult type of endgame.
In the Spanish Exchange usually rooks are changed in the middlegame (because
only the d file is opened). A very good way to improve the endgame (besides
studying a manual) is trying to guess the moves of strong players when they
play it (Capablanca and Rubinstein games in the Queen's gambit are excellent
for this purpose).

Ciao,
Ajeje Brazov

Old February 7th 04, 02:50 AM
SEdwardWilson

I say: Play other Spanish lines (ruy lopez) and learn how to mate your opponent
before you get to an end game.

Or, learn how to be up a peice in the end game and beat him/her that way.

BRILLIANT!
Old February 9th 04, 09:29 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Default Ruy L?pez - Exchange Variation

Ajeje Brazov wrote:

Everything is playable here, I think (QxQ, Qg3, Qh5). I would probably play
d3. If black takes the queen, white gets the g file and can fight easily for
the centre (f3-f4).

After 8.d3 Qxf3 9.gxf3 Bd6 black is fine. 8.Qxf6 is the best move, obviously.

Ciao,
Ajeje Brazov

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il