CJ Purdy books

Old February 17th 04, 08:25 PM
Ivan

Default CJ Purdy books

Does anyone like these books?
Are they good?

Who was CJ Purdy??
Old February 17th 04, 08:35 PM
John Swartz

CJS Purdy was one of Australia's finest players, and a World
Correspondence Chess champion. He wrote a number of articles for a
chess publication in Australia for many years. I've picked up a number
of his books and find them very interesting. His "Guide to Good Chess",
while mostly a beginners book, highlights many of the strategic/tactical
fundamentals for the 3 main phases of the game. His "Search for Chess
Perfection" is contains many great articles on how to think/analyze. I
believe Bobby Fischer thought very highly of Purdy's writing. Most of
his books (with the exception of "Guide to Good Chess") are really
collections of articles which have been assembled into books since
Purdy's death.

John

Old February 17th 04, 09:49 PM
John Swartz

Paul Rubin wrote:

The book titled something like "C.J.S. Purdy: His Life,
Games, and Work" has a bunch of those articles and is excellent.

This book is also known as "The Search for Chess Perfection".

Most of Purdy's books can be ordered from Chessco (www.chessco.com)
Old February 17th 04, 09:59 PM
Paul Rubin

John Swartz writes:
The book titled something like "C.J.S. Purdy: His Life,
Games, and Work" has a bunch of those articles and is excellent.

This book is also known as "The Search for Chess Perfection".

Oh cool, I didn't know that was the same book. Good thing I didn't
buy it under both titles. Thanks.
Old February 18th 04, 04:29 AM
King Leopold

I just recently baught his end-game book and its excellent.
Leopold

om...

Old February 19th 04, 02:11 AM
Geoff

I had always heard that his books were sooooo good so I bought several. I
have no idea what all the praise was about. Even the annoted games had few
annotations. One of the guy at my local chess club brought in one of the
Thinker's Press books that collected his old magazine articles. Junk. Not
all of the articles were in the book so when Purdy referred to one that was
not there, you were lost.
There are plenty of better books: Silman's Amateur's Mind or Reassess
Your Chess, Tarrasch's The Game of Chess, Simple Chess by Michael Stean.

Geoff
om...

Old February 19th 04, 03:58 AM
Paul Rubin

"Geoff" writes:
I had always heard that his books were sooooo good so I bought
several. I have no idea what all the praise was about. Even the
annoted games had few annotations. One of the guy at my local chess
club brought in one of the Thinker's Press books that collected his
old magazine articles. Junk. Not all of the articles were in the
book so when Purdy referred to one that was not there, you were
lost.

I thought he explained chess principles in a very clear way. I wasn't
too concerned about annotations of master games, since I'm not a master.
Old February 19th 04, 11:07 AM
SEdwardWilson

I wasn't
too concerned about annotations of master games, since I'm not a master.

Please don't take this wrong, but this is an asinine statement. Do you plan on
improving by going through annotation of Class C players? Or Class A players
for that matter. Master games and above, you learn how to play correctly by
studying games played correctly. However, with the logic you seem to possess, I
don't think you'll ever make it.

Steve