View of the Chessboard from opposite sides

Old February 22nd 04, 02:53 AM
Samik

Default View of the Chessboard from opposite sides

As some of you will agree ( I am not sure if anybody can
disagree) that the a given chess position looks entirely different
from the 2 different sides of the board. I find this to be
really fascinating, which gives rise to lots of questions.
This has been discussed before in this forum, in case of
openings, where it was generally agreed that a White player
studies the opening he wants to play from the White side of
the board, and vice versa. My question is relevant to
middlegame. I have noticed that NOT ONLY DOES THE BOARD
LOOK DIFFERENT FROM THE 2 SIDES, MY EVALUATION OF THE
POSITION COMPLETELY CHANGES ! For example, many a time I
thought I had the better position, but when I walked over
to the other side the position looked crappy and
vulnerable, with
lots of tactical/strategic threats against me ! MY FIRST
QUESTION IS, IS THIS A SIGN OF MY WEAKNESS/IMMATURITY OR
THIS HAPPENDS TO THE EXPERTS, TOO ? My second question is,
what does one do in such situations ? (in practice sessions
as well as in tournament games).
It would really be nice to have a discussion on this
interesting topic.
Cheers !
Samik
Old February 22nd 04, 06:25 PM
Mark S. Hathaway

Samik wrote:

As some of you will agree ( I am not sure if anybody can
disagree) that the a given chess position looks entirely different
from the 2 different sides of the board. I find this to be
really fascinating, which gives rise to lots of questions.

Yes, it is rather amazing.

This has been discussed before in this forum, in case of
openings, where it was generally agreed that a White player
studies the opening he wants to play from the White side of
the board, and vice versa. My question is relevant to
middlegame. I have noticed that NOT ONLY DOES THE BOARD
LOOK DIFFERENT FROM THE 2 SIDES, MY EVALUATION OF THE
POSITION COMPLETELY CHANGES ! For example, many a time I
thought I had the better position, but when I walked over
to the other side the position looked crappy and
vulnerable, with
lots of tactical/strategic threats against me ! MY FIRST
QUESTION IS, IS THIS A SIGN OF MY WEAKNESS/IMMATURITY OR
THIS HAPPENDS TO THE EXPERTS, TOO ?

happens to everybody. That's one reason Kotov suggested we
stand up, walk around, and take a look during a game; being
careful to not disturb the opponent too much.

My second question is,
what does one do in such situations ? (in practice sessions
as well as in tournament games).
It would really be nice to have a discussion on this
interesting topic.
Cheers !
Samik

You become aware of it and adjust your thinking a little
to try to remain aware that the opponents thoughts and
ideas are going to be the flip side of the coin you are
viewing from your side. Just being aware of that means
you're going to give a bit more thought to what that
evil guy across the board might have in store for you.
It really helps a lot.

Old February 24th 04, 09:33 AM
SEdwardWilson

Just like my arse looks different from the front than from the behind -
.....and?

Old March 2nd 04, 11:32 AM
matt -`;'-

"SEdwardWilson" wrote in message
Just like my arse looks different from the front than from the behind -
....and?

Did you realize that the back of your front is the front of your back?

: 0

Old March 4th 04, 10:54 AM
matt -`;'-

"Samik" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yes there are distict differences. Your King is on your left instead of
your right. This can be a little disorienting at times if you have played
mostly with the White pieces. You have to have a different kind of strategy
to play Black. I notice when I have been playing just White for a long
while, then switch to Black I have to adjust. It is a little wierd. When
playing White I usually start out with an attacking style of play, trying to
keep Black offguard and building up positional advantages. When I play
Black I have to force myself to play defensively and look for sneaky
counterattacks. I don't feel my play with the darker pieces is quite as
strongly as with the lighter ones. I think I'll have to start playing 2/3
of my PC games against Black to build up my playing strength. -matt

Old March 5th 04, 10:20 PM
Mike Leahy

Another "angle" on this is whether a player recognizes his opening
moves from the normal perspective, or whether he understands
and spots the patterns no matter how the board is shaped.

For instance a White 1.e4 player meets the French Defense after
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5. Would he recognize his opening after 1.d3 e5
2.e3 d5 3.d4 ?

I recommend doing this with one's Bookup repertoire to check
how much one understands/recognizes versus how much one
might just be memorizing lines.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com