Diary Problem 17 (advanced) vs Fritz 6

Old July 17th 03, 11:35 PM
Fernando

Default Diary Problem 17 (advanced) vs Fritz 6

r6k/7p/2P1p1p1/p7/4P3/7P/1P4P1/2K1R3 w - - 0 29

Fritz suggests 29.Rd1

What is white's best move?

Best regards,
Fernando

Old July 18th 03, 12:41 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Alberich wrote:

Actually, Fritz 6 gave you a very good move here. 29.Rd1 indirectly
defends the advanced c pawn on c6 and also lays a clever trap. Because
if Black responds with 29...Rc8? 30.Rd6! simultaneously defending the c
pawn and attacking the vulnerable pawn on e6. Black would have to waste
a tempo defending the attack on the e6 pawn and White responds simply
with 31.c7 advancing the passed pawn forcing Black to choose either
defending the e pawn or stopping the passed pawn on c7.

31. c7 doesn´t work because Black can take it (the white rook is on
d6). Instead White walks his king up the queenside and supports the
c-pawn with his king. Then White captures the a-pawn and walks up the
b-pawn.

The other plan would be 29. Kd2 supporting the c-pawn with the rook
from behind. Then the white king walks up to the queenside and helps
promoting the pawn. White can still capture the a-pawn and walk up
the b-pawn if the need arises. White could even let Black conquer
the c-pawn if the rooks are traded because the pawn endgame would be
won for White.

Claus-Juergen
Old July 20th 03, 12:35 AM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Fernando wrote:

White can actualy go a lot of ways from this position.

I agree with that. I meant there are two principle ways for White
to defend the c-pawn: from the side or from behind. There are
several ways to do this but basically White will do one or the other.

weak is:
29.Re3 a4!

I don´t understand this. I agree that 29. Re3 is not the best. Re3 is
a tempo loss of one move that will result in one of the two methods
(following Rd3 or Rc3). White´s position is so good that it doesn´t
change the outcome. I think 29...a4 simplifies White´s task somewhat
because it makes the a-pawn more vulnerable. For example:

30. Rc3 Kg7 31. c7 Rc8 32. Kb1 and White kills the a-pawn. Black
can conquer the c-pawn but after trading the rooks the pawn endgame
is easily won for White.

But after 29. Re3 Black can block the c-pawn with the king: 29...Kg7
30. e5 Rc8 31. Rc3 Kf7 32. Kc2 Ke7 33. Kb3 Kd8 and now White best
shifts his rook with 34. Rd3+ Kc7 35. Rd6 attacking the e-pawn. This
should still be won for White, but Black has a slightly better
position than in the Rd1 or Kd2 (or b4) lines because of the white
time loss.

Claus-Juergen
Old July 21st 03, 06:12 PM
Fernando

"Claus-Jürgen Heigl" schreef in bericht
Fernando wrote:

[...]

You are right about 29... a4. it's not blacks best move, but Kg7 is.
I didn't looked into it that well.

one thing with your line though: 35... Rb8+!
36.Ka3? Rb4 effectively blocking the Kings advance
36.Ka4? Rxb2 again an annoying place of Blacks Rook for White.

the line you would get is:
29.Re3 Kg7 30.Kc2
{as opposed to e5. If black goes after white's e4 pawn that black is forced
to keep his rook on c8 while white captures black's a5 pawn and advances the
King towards black's Rook. Black won't have a chance to advance his passed
e5 pawn.}
30... Rc8 31.Rc3 a4 {Minor inconvenience for white, black might as well play
31...Kf7 32.Kb3 Ke7 33.Ka4 Kd6 34.c7!}
32.Rc4 {Giving room for the King}
32... Kf7 33.Kc3 Ke7 34.Kb4 {And now the white King is ready to capture the
black pawn.}
34... Kd6 35.c7! {Denies black the Kc7 move}

Thank you for commenting, and comments always welcome.

Best regards,
Fernando

Old July 23rd 03, 02:16 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Fernando wrote:

one thing with your line though: 35... Rb8+!
36.Ka3? Rb4 effectively blocking the Kings advance

White still wins the e6 pawn and, while the black rook is annoying,
should win the endgame. The white rook can attack the black pawns on
the kingside. The black rook can´t remain on b4 forever. If you look
at the position you will find that black doesn´t have many waiting
moves.

For example: 37. Rxe6 Kb6 38. c7+ Kxc7 39. Re7+ Kc6 40. Rxh7.

g6 will fall soon, then a5 may be attacked by the rook or White
advances the kingside pawns.

Claus-Juergen
Old July 23rd 03, 05:40 PM
Fernando

Fernando wrote:

one thing with your line though: 35... Rb8+!
36.Ka3? Rb4 effectively blocking the Kings advance

White still wins the e6 pawn and, while the black rook is annoying,
should win the endgame. The white rook can attack the black pawns on
the kingside. The black rook can´t remain on b4 forever. If you look
at the position you will find that black doesn´t have many waiting
moves.

For example: 37. Rxe6 Kb6 38. c7+ Kxc7 39. Re7+ Kc6 40. Rxh7.

g6 will fall soon, then a5 may be attacked by the rook or White
advances the kingside pawns.

For convenience, below the position:

2r5/2k4p/2PRp1p1/p3P3/8/1K5P/1P4P1/8 b - - 0 35

35... Rb8 36.Ka3 Rb4

your proposition
37. Rxe6 Kb6 38. c7+ Kxc7 39. Re7+ Kc6 40. Rxh7
Better for black:
37.Rxe6 Re4 38.Kb3 Kb6 39.g4 g5 40.Kc3 Re2 41.b4

Postition resulting without King on c7:
2r5/2P4p/3kp1p1/8/pKR1P3/7P/1P4P1/8 b - - 0 35

35... Rxc7 36.Rxc7 Kxc7 37.Kxa4 Kb6
{and white just walks of to promote the b-pawn}

Best regards,
Fernando