Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Perpetual Check by Smag
Is Perpetual Check in the Chess rules, or is it really a subset of the 3-move repetition draw? -- "u've never been a tree have u"
March 31st 14 06:57 PM
by abc Go to last post
3 899
My Games from the National Chess Congress by [email protected]
I should not let anyone know about this game because I will never live this down. But I cannot bear to give up the notoriety. My opponent was a 14-year-old girl from Belarus with a rating of 2030. I had decided to give up my Damiano's Defense because I have lost almost every game with it recently, as my opponents have been preparing for it. However, I figured that a 14-year-old girl would not...
March 31st 14 02:49 AM
by abc Go to last post
2 1,521
general question about knights by Jules W.
In the knight's first move he lands in front of a pawn and prevents it from advancing. Is it good play to advance the pawn two squares before moving the knight out in general? //
March 12th 14 12:53 PM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 844
question on scheveningen defense... by Raj Sekhar
I recently played the following game as white... 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 e6 7. Be2 Nc6 8. f4 Be7 9. O-O O-O 10. Qe1 Nxd4 11. Bxd4 b5 12. a3 Bb7 13. Bf3 Nd7 14. Rd1 Qc7 15. Qg3 e5 16. fxe5 dxe5 17. Be3 Rad8 18. Kh1 Kh8 19. Rd3 { to prevent 19...Bxa3 and 20...Qxc3} Bc5 20. Nd1 a5 21. Qh4 Rfe8 * I read somewhere that in the scheveningen, allowing 10...Nxd4 is a...
February 4th 14 06:24 AM
by Raj Sekhar Go to last post
2 717
Bill Gates vs. Magnus Carlsen by [email protected]
Bill Gates vs. Magnus Carlsen 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nf3 d5 3.Bd3 Nf6 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.Nc3 Qh5 6.O-O Bg4 7.h3 Ne5 8.hxg4 Nfxg4 9.Nxe5 Qh2# 0-1
January 25th 14 06:00 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 647
What's the biggest material advantage that cannot mate? by abc
Actually, I'll repost here since the question went unnoticed in the other group for several months: Chris F.A. Johnson wrote: On 2012-08-26, abc wrote: What's the biggest material advantage that cannot mate against a lone king? Two knights and a king cannot *force* mate against a lone king,
September 11th 13 09:39 AM
by abc Go to last post
5 1,930
Greed Question by Tanzen
Say I can get a rook from play. Or, if I take one extra move I can get set up to take a queen. Have the possibility that something will go wrong and be back to even play. Are there any chess proverbs about this? -- Pirouette
July 18th 13 11:25 PM
by Tanzen Go to last post
1 721
In Defence of FM Borislav Ivanov - An Observers (Not Blind) BriefPerspective. by Anonymous
I've given this topic a lot of agonizing thought. Please pardon my English. I am a long time observer of the game of Chess. First, l have read numerous blogs/forum/a buffalo professors claim (consequently inadmissible in a US court of law), and various claims (chess trainers) on the suspension of Bulgarian Foreign Chess Master (FM) Borislav Ivanov. From what Ive surmised? Ivanov plagiarized...
June 24th 13 03:05 PM
by Luigi Caselli[_3_] Go to last post
1 1,029
My Games from the New Yorker Open May 25-27, 2013 by Joe keane
In article , samsloan wrote: 1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 c6 I was planning to write a book "How to beat Sam Sloan if he's White", but you just published the whole thing.
June 3rd 13 10:34 PM
by Joe keane Go to last post
0 505
HEY - What fool opening is this ??? by abc
I just had someone play 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5? against me as white where I'm sure I handled the opening badly, and things just went downhill from there. What the xxx is going on with this opening? Please give a plan for white to smash the clown playing that in a few moves. abc
March 28th 13 08:58 PM
by Rainer Go to last post
1 666
More Russian Chess Books under consideration by samsloan
I have now reprinted all three volumes of "Botvinnik's Chess Creativity" or . Please take a look: http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871875938#reader_4871875938 Here are links to the three volumes http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871875938
March 17th 13 07:36 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 633
Did Fischer work at McDonald's ? by [email protected]
I just finished reading Frank Brady's biography about Robert James Fischer called "Profile of a Prodigy" In the book, the author writes that Fischer dropped out of high school to play chess professionally. Nowadays I guess making a living playing chess is not so much a struggle because of the Internet and numerous tournaments paying huge prizes and appearance fees. Your average American GM like...
January 28th 13 05:06 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 589
Starting over by mdavis
I apologize for a repeat of the most frequently asked question on chess sites. Perhaps my question is a bit more specific than most. I was a former USCF member and played for a short time in tournaments in the Kansas City area back in the '70's (USCF ~1450 - no idea how that compares with the Elo system now in use). Time and family took me away. I did have an old copy of Chessmaster...
December 14th 12 03:50 PM
by mdavis Go to last post
0 627
Knight and multiple pawn ending - I can't find the draw by [email protected]
This position occurred in a game between Ivan Farago and Momcilo Raicevic at Balatonbereny (Hungary) in 1984. 8/5p2/8/5kp1/3K3P/p1N2P2/7P/8 b - - 0 1 It is from a endgame collection and comes under the heading "The weaker side draws". Can anyone find a drawing line for black? Ciao, Chappy.
November 8th 12 11:59 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
8 1,016
Italian Gambit Trouble by Pilotknight
If you "google" THE ITALIAN GAMBIT you'll locate this title (above) on the first or second page as a past "Chessbanter" subject. 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. d4!? (the Italian gambit). The discussion concerns 4....Nxd4 were the standard reply by White is 5. Nxe5?!, if Black replies with 5. Qe7!, White's got some real problems--this discussion and analysis is fairly comprehensive so I'll...
October 29th 12 12:04 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 682
Fischer vs. karpov by Zero
Why didn't Karpov agree to play Fischer for the World Championship. I don't understand why he didn't agree to play but then FIDE decided to make Karpov the world champion afterwards.
October 19th 12 07:36 PM
by None Go to last post
1 698
Life of a Chess Professional by Zero
What is it like being a professional chess player? Is the lifestyle easy and do you make a good living. I was wondering why some people decide to become GMs while other decide to give after getting to a certain level of chess ability. Do you think it is a good idea for someone to spend 4 years and go to college and get a college degree or is it better to devote 4 years to studying and playing...
October 16th 12 11:15 PM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 601
Bookmarking in Chessbase by sirlocks[_2_]
When studying an ebook in Chessbase and you have to leave... it would be nice to come right back to where you were the last time.,, If you use Fritz to look at the book.... Fritz will bring you right back to where you were the last time. Why don't they have the same feature for Chessbase? Also I think it would be a good idea to have a previously view feature in these products where you could...
September 17th 12 01:41 AM
by sirlocks[_2_] Go to last post
0 596
Can somebody explain me this study? by jmrw
1. Kf3 Kg5 2. Ke4 Kg4 3. Kd5 Kh5 4. Kc6 Kg5 5. Kc5 Kg4 6. Kd6 MayKh5 7. Kd5 Kh4 8. Ke6 Kg5 9. Ke5 Kg4 10. Kf6 Kh4 11. Kf5 Kg3 12. Kg5 1-0 Maybe wiht corresponding squares theory Thanks jmrw
September 8th 12 08:39 AM
by jmrw Go to last post
2 628
Dearly Dangerous Damiano's Defense Drives Down Duo with Two More Wins by samsloan
I won two more games with my Damiano's Defense last night. The only time recently where I have lost a game with this Dangerous Defense was when Grandmaster Smirin eked out a win against. Last night was a gala event given by Steve Immitt to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of him holding these events every Thursday night, and also to introduce the players to the new venue at the New Yorker Hotel on...
July 14th 12 03:37 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
3 741
Post New Thread