Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
general question about knights by Jules W.
In the knight's first move he lands in front of a pawn and prevents it from advancing. Is it good play to advance the pawn two squares before moving the knight out in general? //
March 12th 14 11:53 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 725
question on scheveningen defense... by Raj Sekhar
I recently played the following game as white... 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 e6 7. Be2 Nc6 8. f4 Be7 9. O-O O-O 10. Qe1 Nxd4 11. Bxd4 b5 12. a3 Bb7 13. Bf3 Nd7 14. Rd1 Qc7 15. Qg3 e5 16. fxe5 dxe5 17. Be3 Rad8 18. Kh1 Kh8 19. Rd3 { to prevent 19...Bxa3 and 20...Qxc3} Bc5 20. Nd1 a5 21. Qh4 Rfe8 * I read somewhere that in the scheveningen, allowing 10...Nxd4 is a...
February 4th 14 05:24 AM
by Raj Sekhar Go to last post
2 649
Bill Gates vs. Magnus Carlsen by [email protected]
Bill Gates vs. Magnus Carlsen 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nf3 d5 3.Bd3 Nf6 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.Nc3 Qh5 6.O-O Bg4 7.h3 Ne5 8.hxg4 Nfxg4 9.Nxe5 Qh2# 0-1
0 591
What's the biggest material advantage that cannot mate? by abc
Actually, I'll repost here since the question went unnoticed in the other group for several months: Chris F.A. Johnson wrote: On 2012-08-26, abc wrote: What's the biggest material advantage that cannot mate against a lone king? Two knights and a king cannot *force* mate against a lone king,
September 11th 13 08:39 AM
by abc Go to last post
5 1,828
Greed Question by Tanzen
Say I can get a rook from play. Or, if I take one extra move I can get set up to take a queen. Have the possibility that something will go wrong and be back to even play. Are there any chess proverbs about this? -- Pirouette
July 18th 13 10:25 PM
by Tanzen Go to last post
1 651
In Defence of FM Borislav Ivanov - An Observers (Not Blind) BriefPerspective. by Anonymous
I've given this topic a lot of agonizing thought. Please pardon my English. I am a long time observer of the game of Chess. First, l have read numerous blogs/forum/a buffalo professors claim (consequently inadmissible in a US court of law), and various claims (chess trainers) on the suspension of Bulgarian Foreign Chess Master (FM) Borislav Ivanov. From what I▓ve surmised? Ivanov plagiarized...
June 24th 13 02:05 PM
by Luigi Caselli[_3_] Go to last post
1 952
My Games from the New Yorker Open May 25-27, 2013 by Joe keane
In article , samsloan wrote: 1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 c6 I was planning to write a book "How to beat Sam Sloan if he's White", but you just published the whole thing.
June 3rd 13 09:34 PM
by Joe keane Go to last post
0 450
HEY - What fool opening is this ??? by abc
I just had someone play 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5? against me as white where I'm sure I handled the opening badly, and things just went downhill from there. What the xxx is going on with this opening? Please give a plan for white to smash the clown playing that in a few moves. abc
March 28th 13 07:58 PM
by Rainer Go to last post
1 602
More Russian Chess Books under consideration by samsloan
I have now reprinted all three volumes of "Botvinnik's Chess Creativity" or Шахматное творчество Ботвинника. Please take a look: http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871875938#reader_4871875938 Here are links to the three volumes http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871875938
March 17th 13 06:36 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 550
Did Fischer work at McDonald's ? by [email protected]
I just finished reading Frank Brady's biography about Robert James Fischer called "Profile of a Prodigy" In the book, the author writes that Fischer dropped out of high school to play chess professionally. Nowadays I guess making a living playing chess is not so much a struggle because of the Internet and numerous tournaments paying huge prizes and appearance fees. Your average American GM like...
0 527
Starting over by mdavis
I apologize for a repeat of the most frequently asked question on chess sites. Perhaps my question is a bit more specific than most. I was a former USCF member and played for a short time in tournaments in the Kansas City area back in the '70's (USCF ~1450 - no idea how that compares with the Elo system now in use). Time and family took me away. I did have an old copy of Chessmaster...
December 14th 12 02:50 PM
by mdavis Go to last post
0 557
Knight and multiple pawn ending - I can't find the draw by [email protected]
This position occurred in a game between Ivan Farago and Momcilo Raicevic at Balatonbereny (Hungary) in 1984. 8/5p2/8/5kp1/3K3P/p1N2P2/7P/8 b - - 0 1 It is from a endgame collection and comes under the heading "The weaker side draws". Can anyone find a drawing line for black? Ciao, Chappy.
November 8th 12 10:59 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
8 898
Italian Gambit Trouble by Pilotknight
If you "google" THE ITALIAN GAMBIT you'll locate this title (above) on the first or second page as a past "Chessbanter" subject. 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. d4!? (the Italian gambit). The discussion concerns 4....Nxd4 were the standard reply by White is 5. Nxe5?!, if Black replies with 5. Qe7!, White's got some real problems--this discussion and analysis is fairly comprehensive so I'll...
1 587
Fischer vs. karpov by Zero
Why didn't Karpov agree to play Fischer for the World Championship. I don't understand why he didn't agree to play but then FIDE decided to make Karpov the world champion afterwards.
October 19th 12 06:36 PM
by None Go to last post
1 604
Life of a Chess Professional by Zero
What is it like being a professional chess player? Is the lifestyle easy and do you make a good living. I was wondering why some people decide to become GMs while other decide to give after getting to a certain level of chess ability. Do you think it is a good idea for someone to spend 4 years and go to college and get a college degree or is it better to devote 4 years to studying and playing...
October 16th 12 10:15 PM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 529
Bookmarking in Chessbase by sirlocks[_2_]
When studying an ebook in Chessbase and you have to leave... it would be nice to come right back to where you were the last time.,, If you use Fritz to look at the book.... Fritz will bring you right back to where you were the last time. Why don't they have the same feature for Chessbase? Also I think it would be a good idea to have a previously view feature in these products where you could...
September 17th 12 12:41 AM
by sirlocks[_2_] Go to last post
0 529
Can somebody explain me this study? by jmrw
1. Kf3 Kg5 2. Ke4 Kg4 3. Kd5 Kh5 4. Kc6 Kg5 5. Kc5 Kg4 6. Kd6 MayKh5 7. Kd5 Kh4 8. Ke6 Kg5 9. Ke5 Kg4 10. Kf6 Kh4 11. Kf5 Kg3 12. Kg5 1-0 Maybe wiht corresponding squares theory Thanks jmrw
September 8th 12 07:39 AM
by jmrw Go to last post
2 574
Dearly Dangerous Damiano's Defense Drives Down Duo with Two More Wins by samsloan
I won two more games with my Damiano's Defense last night. The only time recently where I have lost a game with this Dangerous Defense was when Grandmaster Smirin eked out a win against. Last night was a gala event given by Steve Immitt to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of him holding these events every Thursday night, and also to introduce the players to the new venue at the New Yorker Hotel on...
July 14th 12 02:37 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
3 676
Damiano Defense (was: My Game against Grandmaster Smirin) by samsloan
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6 3.Nxe5 fxe5 4.Qh5+ Ke7 5.Qxe5+ Kf7 6.Bc4+ d5 7.Bxd5+ Kg6 8.Qg3+ Qg5 9.Qxc7 Nd7 10.O-O Ngf6 11.Be6 Qe5 12.Bf5+ Kf7 13.Qc4+ Ke8 14.d4 Qa5 15.Qe6+ Kd8 16.Bg5 Be7 17.Qf7 h6 18.Bd2 Qc7 19.Nc3 Nb6 20.Bxc8 Rxc8 21.e5 Ne8 22.Rad1 Rf8 23.Qh5 Qd7 24.d5 Rf5 25.Qe2 Bc5 26.e6 Qe7 27.Nb5 a6 28.d6 Nxd6 29.Nxd6 Bxd6 30.Bb4 Rc6 31.Qe4 Rf6 32.Rxd6+ Rxd6 33.Bxd6 Qxd6 34.Qxb7 Rxe6 35.Qxa6 Ke8...
July 10th 12 03:36 AM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
1 576
My Game against Grandmaster Smirin by samsloan
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 O-O 5.Nc3 d6 6.Nf3 c5 7.d5 Na6 8.O-O Nc7 9.e4 Bd7 10.a4 b6 11.Re1 a6 12.e5 Nfe8 13.Bg5 dxe5 14.d6 Nxd6 15.Nxe5 Bxe5 16.Bxa8 Nxa8 17.Rxe5 f6 18.Bxf6 Rxf6 19.Nd5 Rf7 20.Nxe7+ Rxe7 21.Qxd6 Rxe5 22.Qxe5 Bf5 23.a5 bxa5 24.Qxc5 Nc7 25.Qxa5 Qd6 26.Qa3 Qc6 27.Rd1 Ne6 28.f3 Qxc4 29.Qe3 Qc2 30.Rd2 Qc5 31.Kf2 Kf7 32.g4 Bb1 33.Rd7+ Kf6 34.g5+ Qxg5 35.Qc3+ Qe5 36.Rf7+ Kxf7...
July 8th 12 01:26 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 557
Post New Thread