Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is Closing Right Now by samsloan
"Potemkin village" has come to mean, especially during Soviet times, any hollow or false construct, meant to create the illusion that the common people were living well. Potemkin villages were constructed along the sides of railroad lines, so that passing travelers could not see the true living conditions of the people. The Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is not a Potemkin village. It is or...
October 7th 10 12:17 AM
by micky Go to last post
2 675
Kirsan Promises One Million Dollars to FIDE Trainers by samsloan
Kirsan Promises One Million Dollars to FIDE Trainers The FIDE Trainers Committee met on Sunday, September 26, 2010 at the “Chess Academy” in Khanty-Mansiysk, Siberia, Russia. This was a free day for the players. The meeting was chaired by Grandmaster Adrian Mykhalchyshyn. Among other things, he spoke of the need to translate and publish books in English about how to train chess players. There...
September 29th 10 04:42 PM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
1 509
Conditions Great, Nearly Perfect for 2010 World Chess Olympiad by samsloan
Conditions Great, Nearly Perfect for 2010 World Chess Olympiad After all the fears of gloom and doom, it was wonderful when things turned out to be perfect here in Khanty-Mansiysk in South-Western Siberia. The just completed Olympiad Hotel is wonderful. The “Chess Academy” where the FIDE Congress Meetings are being held was completed on September 8, 2010. Perhaps even more importantly, the...
September 28th 10 04:23 PM
by None Go to last post
1 466
Why this move score difference in this position? From a women's GMblitz game r1b1k1nr/p4ppp/n1pQp3/p7/2P1q3/8/PP2BPPP/R3K1NR w KQkq - 0 11 by RayLopez99
r1b1k1nr/p4ppp/n1pQp3/p7/2P1q3/8/PP2BPPP/R3K1NR w KQkq - 0 11 In the above position, why does 11. Rd1 get +1.29 from Fritz 9 while the seemingly similar move 11. O-O-O only get -0.90? A real conundrum. Note in the actual game, both 26. Rxd7?? and 32...Rd7?? were real stinkers by these two women GMs. Remember Alekhine's admonition, as quoted by TK, that there's no excuse for mistakes even in...
September 22nd 10 06:31 PM
by RayLopez99 Go to last post
1 525
Two instructive beginner positions from an Instructive Blitz Game (TM) by raylopez99
Here are two positions of interest in a badly played game that nevertheless qualifies, for beginners, as an I.B.G. (TM). (1) Black to play and win: 8/5kp1/1P3p1p/4rP2/6P1/4p3/1R1pK2P/8 b - - 0 44 hint: do not do what Black did, and retreat the rook. (2) Why doesn't e3 win here? I was afraid I made a blunder, but Fritz says e3 is not even in the top five moves!:...
September 16th 10 08:24 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 463
What to do? r3k2r/p2p1ppp/1pn1p3/2p5/2PP4/P4PP1/1P3P1P/3RKB1R wKkq - 0 14 by sd
It's too bad you are such a hateful impudent troll most of the time; this is an interesting position that requires a good understanding of both pawn structure and endgame tactics. I'd love to reply, but any answer by you would be along the lines of "You are such a poo-poo head, Dr. Fart" or "Pawn structure? **** you Dowd. Let me show you this game where I shoved my pawn structure right up (some...
September 15th 10 08:04 PM
by None Go to last post
4 515
What to do? r3k2r/p2p1ppp/1pn1p3/2p5/2PP4/P4PP1/1P3P1P/3RKB1R wKkq - 0 14 by sd
It's too bad you are such a hateful impudent troll most of the time; this is an interesting position that requires a good understanding of both pawn structure and endgame tactics. I'd love to reply, but any answer by you would be along the lines of "You are such a poo-poo head, Dr. Fart" or "Pawn structure? **** you Dowd. Let me show you this game where I showed my pawn structure right up (some...
September 14th 10 01:36 PM
by sd Go to last post
0 495
How to take the d4 pawn? r1bq1rk1/ppp1bppp/2n5/1B1pP3/3pn3/5N2/PPP2PPP/RNBQR1K1w - - 0 9 by raylopez99
I dedicate this game to Bent Larsen. Don't get BENT out of shape guys. Har har har. An Irish wake for Bent. Now, how to win the d4 pawn in this position? r1bq1rk1/ppp1bppp/ 2n5/1B1pP3/3pn3/5N2/PPP2PPP/RNBQR1K1 w - - 0 9 As Eugene A. Znosko-Borovsky might say, white shows how NOT to win the pawn.
September 11th 10 07:56 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 549
Article Recommends that Obama Play the Grob by ZucchiniMann
There is an entertaining book by Michael Basman where he says: ""Pieces go into the center in reverse order of strength (or value)". Having decided that the pawn is the weakest piece, we should consider "what is weaker than a pawn?". The answer is, clearly, that NOTHING is weaker than a pawn. It follows, with inexorable logic, that you should place NOTHING in the center at the start of the...
September 9th 10 01:49 PM
by ZucchiniMann Go to last post
0 461
Why did Black resign in this position? r6k/1r1qnppp/NPp2n1b/2Pp4/3Pp3/1RB1P1PP/R1Q2P2/K4B2b - - 0 45 by raylopez99
True, black is a pawn down with no counterplay, but you'd think a machine would never tire. I think the humans decided to throw in the towel, probably after consulting GMs on their side, to make the match more interesting to the public. RL r6k/1r1qnppp/NPp2n1b/2Pp4/3Pp3/1RB1P1PP/R1Q2P2/K4B2 b - - 0 45
September 8th 10 09:06 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
6 605
T or F? Black is lost in this position: r1n2rk1/pp3ppB/1qb1p3/3pP3/1b6/2N5/PP1BQPPP/1R2R1K1b - - 0 16 by raylopez99
In the title position, black is lost if it takes the bishop, and lost if it does not. True or false? Analysis below for those of you that don't have a search engine (i.e., "Dr" Fart). RL r1n2rk1/pp3ppB/1qb1p3/3pP3/1b6/2N5/PP1BQPPP/1R2R1K1 b - - 0 16
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 3rd 10 12:56 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
18 1,064
r4rk1/ppp2ppp/2nq1n2/1B2p3/P1P3b1/B2P1N2/2P2PPP/R2Q1RK1 b - - 0 12 -defense, defense. Find the best by raylopez99
Incredibly, with the Queen under an x-ray attack, the title position can be defended. What are the saving moves? Complete game below (black failed to find the best defense). RL r4rk1/ppp2ppp/2nq1n2/1B2p3/P1P3b1/B2P1N2/2P2PPP/R2Q1RK1 b - - 0 12
September 2nd 10 11:36 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 534
CFA johnson beat the Easy Level by Chris F.A. Johnson
On 2010-08-29, Sanny wrote: CFA johnson beat the Easy Level and got $1.00 for this win. He can beat easy level 5 times and get $5.00 every month. Also He will get $2.00 for beating the Normal Level. I'm waiting for normal level to make its second move. It has already taken more than 20 minutes. Any other chess program would make a move of GetClub's quality in a fraction of a...
August 31st 10 09:38 PM
by Mark Houlsby[_5_] Go to last post
3 570
3r3k/2q2pbp/p4p2/2rPpP1Q/1nB5/1PN3R1/1P4PP/1K1R4 w - - 0 28 chessbabe finds the right move--can u? by raylopez99
Chess babe Lisa Lane made the right move above in 1961--can you? But she failed to find the best followup, though her subsequent moves were strong and she did win this game. RL 3r3k/2q2pbp/p4p2/2rPpP1Q/1nB5/1PN3R1/1P4PP/1K1R4 w - - 0 28
August 25th 10 02:11 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 496
Tim Harding on a neglected C44 opening... by Mark Houlsby[_3_]
http://www.chesscafe.com/Tim/kibb.htm
August 23rd 10 03:06 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
5 537
Sam's Games from the 2010 US Open Championship by samsloan
I started off very badly in the 2010 US Open Chess Championship (and Jerry Hanken Memorial), losing to or drawing with players rated far below me (and lucky to do that). I recovered or got back into practice somewhat near the end and had an outside chance to win a smal money prize. However, I lost in the last round and ended with an even score of 4.5 - 4.5 . My most interesting game was against...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 20th 10 11:31 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
32 1,813
How to improve on this position: 4r1k1/ppp2R2/2bbP3/7p/7B/1BP5/PPP3rP/3RK3w - - 0 25 by raylopez99
I could not get anything more than a draw out of this position, even up +3.xx pawns says Fritz. Could not queen the e-pawn. Perhaps keeping both bishops on the board was advised, but I feared black's attack. RL
August 20th 10 11:09 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
5 529
The Wonders of Google Books by Mark Houlsby[_3_]
Some time ago (by now I've forgotten where) I read either in a book or a magazine (not the one below) that the game Pachman-Szabo, Hilversum 1947 featured an interesting strategy:
August 20th 10 07:41 PM
by sd Go to last post
4 557
Recommend a book for me by Mike
Hi everyone. I used to play chess a bit in the late 70s and early 80s (I reached 2052 rating). I haven't played any serious chess for a while and would like to get back into it. Unfortunately my library is quite dated. I assume that some great games have been played during the last couple decades that I would like to go over. Can anyone recommend a book with a good collection of annotated...
August 14th 10 05:46 PM
by Mark Houlsby[_5_] Go to last post
1 513
rnb1kb1r/ppq5/2p1ppp1/3nN2Q/3P4/2N5/PPPB1PPP/R4RK1 w kq - 0 12 -find the best move by raylopez99
Hint: it's not the obvious rook capture, which in the pressure of a blitz game I took (and drew this game). RL rnb1kb1r/ppq5/2p1ppp1/3nN2Q/3P4/2N5/PPPB1PPP/R4RK1 w kq - 0 12
August 13th 10 07:16 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
3 594
Post New Thread