Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Find the best move: r2q1rk1/p1p2p2/bp2p1np/n2pP1p1/2PP1N1B/P1P2P2/2Q3PP/RB2K2Rb KQ - 0 0 by raylopez99
Kotov-Keres, Budapest 1950 Black is NOT ok though a computer would never make the move that you might think is necessary. Find the best move for white: r2q1rk1/p1p2p2/bp2p1np/n2pP1p1/2PP1N1B/P1P2P2/2Q3PP/RB2K2R b KQ - 0 0
July 4th 10 12:31 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 511
Lopez v. GM James Plaskett (my most famous game): [FEN"r3kbnr/1bqp1ppp/p3p3/1p6/2nNPP2/2N1BB2/PPP1Q1PP/2KR3R b kq - 0 0"] by raylopez99
From James Plaskett's flawed but interesting book comes this position, against a fellow surnamed kinsman of mine. I am taking the full 10 points even though Plaskett only discusses the main line below, which is not the best line of play, as I saw. But I got the two key moves, the first two moves. RL
July 2nd 10 11:53 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 553
Another cook in Plaskett's book: 8/6k1/1p1Q2q1/p1pP1r1p/P1PbN1p1/1P4P1/6KP/4R3b - - 0 0 by raylopez99
8/6k1/1p1Q2q1/p1pP1r1p/P1PbN1p1/1P4P1/6KP/4R3 b - - 0 0 The above position is from Grenewald v. Lematschko, Swiss Championship 2000. James Plaskett in his book claims the best continuation is...you figure it out...but it involves a pseudo Queen sac at the knight. He however fails to find the best move, which is paradoxically Qf7. I guessed Rf2+ then Qf7, but Plaskett wrongly thinks the King...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 2nd 10 03:43 AM
by None Go to last post
20 1,174
Endgame finesse: another RayLopez Instructional Game (TM) by raylopez99
8/8/p7/2p5/8/P7/3K3k/7Q b - - 0 48 From the above position, White to move and draw! Another Heirloom Chess (TM), Mistake-Free (TM), RayLopez Instructional Game (TM) of blitz by Ray Lopez, playing the endgame ala Rubinstein to salvage a half point. I stretched the board like Reti did in that famous study where the king prevents the pawn from queening despite looking impossibly out of position.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 30th 10 05:19 AM
by Mark Houlsby[_2_] Go to last post
34 1,251
An intriguing, unusual game by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
Below is an interesting game I just finished playing over. It's several decades old. Although it involved prominent masters, and was published in a national magazine, it is not on any database I know of. It intrigued me because of the unusual conditions under which it was played. 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. g3 O-O 6. Bg2 e5 7. Nge2 Bg4 8. f3 Be6 9. b3 c6 10. O-O Qc7 11. d5 Bd7 12....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 29th 10 07:02 AM
by micky Go to last post
15 826
My Game Against Louis Petithory by samsloan
I basically learned chess by playing correspondence chess. My family moved to Lynchburg Virginia when I was ten. The club there met once a week at the Virginian Hotel. Most of the players were elderly men, the main one being Captain Robert Abernathy. When Captain Abernathy and the others all died within a few years, the club folded. There was a strong player in Lynchburg, John L. Buck, who had...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 28th 10 10:14 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
40 1,692
White to promote pawn...and lose! by raylopez99
A classic pseudo "underpromotion" theme--if white promotes the pawn, white loses; otherwise white can draw with best play if it leaves its pawn on the seventh rank. What a problem like finish! And if I was "modest" like TK, I would claim I played this game in correspondence, spending weeks on each move. In fact, it was five minute blitz. Another quality Mistake-Free (TM), Heirloom Chess (TM),...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 28th 10 09:57 PM
by sd Go to last post
13 861
Another rook-pawn endgame with magic squares by raylopez99
8/7p/8/7k/2K4P/8/8/8 w - - 0 41 From the above position, reached from a blitz game I won (naturally), find the ONE move that draws. All other moves are mate in 44 says Fritz. Naturally my opponent did not pick that one move. As we all know, if the opponent can reach the corner in a rook pawn endgame, it's a draw-- but how to do that?
June 27th 10 03:15 PM
by sd Go to last post
3 507
Positional Sacrifice: Serper-Nikolaidis by raylopez99
From Neil McDonald's book. Ioannis Nikolaidis (GRE) is about 2490 presently, and Serper (USA) is about the same, both born around 1970. The below game was awarded the Best Game prize. RL
June 25th 10 09:11 AM
by Alan OBrien[_2_] Go to last post
5 807
Bishop sacrifice. Black wins in 19 moves. by greg
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Bb4 3.c3 f5 4.cxb4 fxe4 5.Nxe5 Nf6
June 24th 10 01:50 PM
by Rob Sharp Go to last post
2 475
Mate in 6 (my Perfect Game for 6.21.2010) by sd
On Jun 20, 6:05*pm, Alan OBrien wrote: raylopez99 wrote: I could of won 1 move quicker You could of what!?? He doesn't have a clue. It's just all about representing Ray as the greatest 1500 player of all time.
June 22nd 10 01:01 PM
by sd Go to last post
0 415
My Game Against Leon Stolzenberg by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Jun 20, 6:24*pm, raylopez99 wrote: On Jun 20, 9:45*pm, sd wrote: Interesting, thanks Neil. It should be noted that there have been chess problemists with a similar history, in at least one case the family did not not know how important the preservation of the individual's papers would have been and simply threw them away. And...
June 22nd 10 02:45 AM
by None Go to last post
6 520
My Game Against Leon Stolzenberg by raylopez99
On Jun 21, 3:45*am, jkh001 wrote: Problems and studies are artistic creations. Their preservation is worthwhile a priori. Clearly you are not interested in them, but that's a statement about you, not about them. I find the art of Dali and the poetry of Angelou boring or distasteful, but that's hardly an argument for discarding their works. Well that's all in the eye...
June 21st 10 09:36 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 507
Another cook in Plaskett's book Test 3: Puzzle 10 by raylopez99
6k1/p4r1p/2p1p1p1/2bqPp2/2bN1P2/2PpB2P/r2R1QPK/1R6 w - - 0 0 In the above position, from Plaskett - Tiviakov, Dhaka 1997, Plaskett in his error filled book "Can you be a Tactical Chess Genius?" (2002) awards 10 points for the dubious Nxe6?, which loses to...can you find it? I picked the obvious Rxa2, which is Fritz's first choice (even). Plaskett awards it no points, but I'm taking the full 10...
June 20th 10 12:08 AM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
7 538
Tal - NN (white to move) by raylopez99
2r1k3/1p1bppb1/p2p1np1/q3n1P1/3NP3/2N1BP2/PPPQB3/1K1R3r w - - 0 0 White is Tal. What do you THINK he's going to play? If I was playing this, I also would make the same move as Tal did. That must mean I play like Tal? Poor NN--I always see him on the losing end for some reason. RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 19th 10 04:53 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
17 869
Could you have beat Kasparov in this position? by raylopez99
8/4k3/8/1P1b1p2/R4p1p/3B2nP/3N1bPK/8 w - - 0 60 Position above; game below. This game is cited, after White missed the best continuation above, as an example of Kasparov's drawing prowess. After knowing the best move wins nearly two pawns (but without peaking further in Chessbase), I found the winning stem move, but it was only knowing the move made in the actual game was not best-- so I can't...
June 19th 10 01:20 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 423
Post your game of the week here by micky
micky wrote: micky wrote: ChessFire wrote: 1. e2-e4 e7-e5 2. f2-f4 exf4 3. Ng1-f3 Nb8-c6 4. d2-d4 g7-g5 5. d4-d5 Nc6-a5 6. Bf1-d3 f7-f6 7. Nf3xg5 fxg5 8. Qd1-h5 Ke8-e7 9. Qh5xg5 Ke7- e8 10. Qg5-h5 Ke8-e7 11. Bc1xf4 Ng8-f6 12. Bf4-g5 Bf8-g7 13. e4-e5 Ke7- f8 14. O-O d7-d6 15. exf6 Bg7xf6 16. Bg5xf6 1-0
June 18th 10 08:14 PM
by micky Go to last post
0 445
Find the best move for white: a self-pin! by raylopez99
Position below. Game that followed from this position, at move 17, also below. Though I won, thanks to Black's blunder, the best move you probably will never guess without computer help--at least it seems counterintuitive to me. Hint in title. RL r2q1rk1/2p1b1pn/p1n4p/1p1p1N2/8/2PP1p1P/PPB2PP1/R1BQR1K1 w - - 0 17
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 18th 10 01:05 AM
by The Master Go to last post
30 1,465
Another bust in Plaskett's tactics book, p.26 by raylopez99
See the below. From this position, after Rxh7, Plaskett recommends 2. Rxg7+, which I also saw, but then says 3. Nf5+ is the best continuation. I disputed that, suggesting another move involving the queen, Qh6+, and sure enough the computer backs me--it's nearly 5.00 points better. This is the position: 4r3/ p2bp1k1/3p2p1/1p1q4/2rN1QP1/4BP2/PPP5/1K1R4 w - - 0 3 RL
June 16th 10 05:38 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 458
Find the *best* move...you'll never guess it, as there are other goodmoves by raylopez99
r2r2k1/pbqn1p1p/1p1bp1p1/8/3P3R/3BQN2/PP1B1PPP/R5K1 w - - 0 1 In the above position, white to move, from Plaskett's book p. 19, Hansen - Vescovi, Copenhagen 1995, I chose Ng5, which gives white a 0.85 advantage, the book suggests even better Hansen's move Bxg6!, which gives a two pawn advantage, but Fritz suggests a move that is thematically related to these two moves but that you'll never...
June 16th 10 02:08 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
6 511
Post New Thread