Chessmaster 9000 help please!

Old January 15th 05, 07:39 AM
Adrian MacNair

Default Chessmaster 9000 help please!

I own the Chessmaster 9000 2-CD disk and after installation I ran the
executable but it crashes because I don't own a sound card. I don't have one
because I don't want one, and I don't want to get one. The error message is:

"A fatal error occurred initializing Sound playback. The program will now
terminate."

Then it just crashes! There is no option for disable sound! Is there a fix
for this ridiculousness?

Old January 16th 05, 02:36 AM
Brian Sheeres

Hmm. The minimum requirements don't explicitly require a sound card.
But it does state that only Win98 and XP are supported and that a
DirectX8.1 compatible video card is required. Does your box meet those
requirements?

As workaround you might try installing sound some card drivers to trick
the software.

Old January 16th 05, 06:05 AM
IglooLegend IglooLegend is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian MacNair
I own the Chessmaster 9000 2-CD disk and after installation I ran the
executable but it crashes because I don't own a sound card. I don't have one
because I don't want one, and I don't want to get one. The error message is:

"A fatal error occurred initializing Sound playback. The program will now
terminate."

Then it just crashes! There is no option for disable sound! Is there a fix
for this ridiculousness?
This may or may not help you but you could try disabling the intro movie that plays everytime Chessmaster 9000 is started. That movie has sound.

You disable the movie by locating the file cm.ini. I found the file on my computer in the Chessmaster 9000 programs file directory.

Open the cm.ini file. I can click on the cm.ini file and it opens but you could use a text editor such as notepad if necessary.

Scroll down in the file until you locate the [settings] list. Then change the numerical value beside the entry IntroMovie=1 (I think 1 was originally there) to zero. It will now look like this: IntroMovie=0

Save the changes and try to open Chessmaster.

I found out about disabling the intro movie from somewhere else on the Internet and I did disable the Intro movie in Chessmaster by this method.

There are other sounds associated with the Chessmaster program such as pieces moving, The tutorials, etc. and these may cause you problems but I have never tried to disable these sounds through the cm.ini file or elsewhere so I can't help you there.

Before making changes I would save a copy of the cmi.ini file to some other place on your computer in case you should need the original.
Old January 16th 05, 05:47 PM
[email protected]

Adrian MacNair wrote:
I own the Chessmaster 9000 2-CD disk and after installation I ran the
executable but it crashes because I don't own a sound card. I don't

have one
because I don't want one, and I don't want to get one. The error

message is:

"A fatal error occurred initializing Sound playback. The program will

now
terminate."

Then it just crashes! There is no option for disable sound! Is there

a fix
for this ridiculousness?

Yes, Chessmaster 9000 does "require" a sound card. However, there is a
way to avoid this requirement.

Here's what the CM9000 FAQ says:

-----------
Question
Can I play Chessmaster 9000 without a sound card?

Answer
You must first download and install the v1.0.1 patch for Chessmaster
9000. This adds support for a special CM.INI debugging setting. Then,
you will need to add the following to your CM.INI file (found in the
folder where you installed Chessmaster 9000):

[debug]
NoAudio=1

Chessmaster should start up properly with this setting enabled. This is
intended strictly for debugging purposes only and may cause the game to
become unstable. For best results, you will want to install a DirectX 8
compatible sound card.
-----------

There you go,

jm

Old January 16th 05, 07:11 PM
Adrian MacNair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Answer
You must first download and install the v1.0.1 patch for Chessmaster
9000. This adds support for a special CM.INI debugging setting. Then,
you will need to add the following to your CM.INI file (found in the
folder where you installed Chessmaster 9000):

[debug]
NoAudio=1

Wow, thanks a lot, it worked! And thanks to all who answered me!