Permanently adjusting rated game settings in CM9000?

Old July 10th 03, 11:59 PM
Beery

Default Permanently adjusting rated game settings in CM9000?

(John Merlino) wrote in message . com...
A 10-minute game is approximately what most people play. They just
want a quick fun game of chess. Default of White is probably an
oversight, and Random should probably be the default.

I should think that the target audience for this type of game would be
serious chess players. In my opinion 10 minutes isn't enough time for
a game of chess. It's enough time to pretend to play chess. Either
way, I think these settings should be user configurable and permanent
from one session to the next.

However, it is extremely easy to change these settings, and they
remain the defaults for the entire session. It takes less than 10
seconds to change them.

It is not easy to change them. It is relatively difficult when one
considers that 10 seconds is a long time to spend setting up a game
each session. I'd imagine players play on average one game per
session - so every time we play a game it means we have to waste 10
seconds setting up the game - time that could be better spent doing
virtually anything else. This flaw is extremely irritating and could
have easily been removed so that players could set up their
preferences once when they first booted up the game, and thereafter
get straight into each game. Over time, a one-time setup feature
could have saved hours of game time.

Also, I don't know how many times I've started a rated game and found,
after 5 minutes or so, that I've forgotten to make the necessary
changes and I'm stuck in a 10 minute RATED game. Over time I've lost
tens (perhaps even a hundred or more) of points off my rating simply
because I've run out of time because I occasionally forget to change a
value that I feel I shouldn't have had to adjust more than once. When
players forget to adjust these defaults it can end up wasting multiple
minutes, not seconds. The player should not be burdened with a clunky
set-up interface that punishes players for forgetting to adjust three
settings that should be one-time configurable.
Old July 11th 03, 06:04 AM
Justin Sane

Beery -

Hmmm - seems you are not going to
be satisfied with any explanation. You
have killed several seconds pursuing this
thread over several days, but then you
are making an issue over a relatively small
amount of time to set up. Moreover,
John Merlino has explained the selection
of the 10 min time control, and conceded
that the side assignment should have been
set to random.

What more do you want?

I would prefer not to be running Windows,
but I can live with it, so I don't complain. If
it bothered me enough I would change to
Linux and live with its deficiencies (if any!).

Failing to notice the first few times
the time/color assignment is something
I do understand. Given that you are aware
that CM has to be set up, and have played
many games against its personalities, you
should NOT be caught in the situation of
being midway through a 10-min rated game.

Unless you play tournaments your CM-
determined rating (or that from Yahoo,
or FICS, or ICC, or ...) hardly matters!!

Go buy another program, or write UbiSoft
to change it in the next CM edition!!

Cordially,

Justin

Old July 11th 03, 08:41 AM
Wilma

"Beery" wrote in message
m...
[snip]
Also, I don't know how many times I've started a rated game and found,
after 5 minutes or so, that I've forgotten to make the necessary
changes and I'm stuck in a 10 minute RATED game. Over time I've lost
tens (perhaps even a hundred or more) of points off my rating simply
because I've run out of time because I occasionally forget to change a
value that I feel I shouldn't have had to adjust more than once. When
players forget to adjust these defaults it can end up wasting multiple
minutes, not seconds. The player should not be burdened with a clunky
set-up interface that punishes players for forgetting to adjust three
settings that should be one-time configurable.

^You don't have be stuck with the game. You can simply exit it and not open
that game again. CM lets you start a new game and never mentions you have
one hanging.

Wilma

Old July 11th 03, 02:48 PM
Beery

"Justin Sane" wrote in message ...
Hmmm - seems you are not going to
be satisfied with any explanation.

I'm certainly NOT satisfied with the explanation that was given. I
asked for a reason why it was done this way and I was told that most
players prefer a 10 minute game!??? Then I was basically told that
it's not such a big deal anyway. A one-time adjustment feature is a
simple thing that could have been implemented in the game to save the
player a little time. What we're stuck with is a part of the game
that's needlessly time-consuming and which tends to promote user
error.
Old July 11th 03, 02:59 PM
Beery

"Justin Sane" wrote in message ...
Go buy another program, or write UbiSoft
to change it in the next CM edition!!

I am buying another program. I'm going to purchase Fritz 8. My point
is that this, and other silly defects, are causing me to buy another
program when in other respects CM9000 is all I should ever need.
That's yet another waste of my time and money. If the creators of
CM9000 had put a little more thought into the ease-of-use of the
interface, I would be perfectly happy with this game. As it is, I'm
constantly disappointed in what is a great game stuck inside a clunky
and time-consuming user interface.

I hope those who built this game will take criticisms like mine to
heart. All too often though, it seems as if software designers are
afflicted with a serious long-term memory loss, since they seem to
create game after game with the same basic and silly interface flaws.
Old July 11th 03, 03:09 PM
Beery

"Wilma" wrote in message rthlink.net...
^You don't have be stuck with the game. You can simply exit it and not open
that game again. CM lets you start a new game and never mentions you have
one hanging.

I realise that, but if it takes a couple of minutes to realise that
you forgot to change the setting it's still a monumental waste of time
and energy - you shouldn't need to take even a split second to worry
about whether you set the timer correctly while you're concentrating
on the game.

Also, you can't restart a game where you suddenly get the pop-up box
saying you ran out of time. That results in numerous points being
deducted from your rating simply because you failed to set the timer
properly (something I contend you shouldn't have to do each session)
and were unknowingly stuck with the ridiculous 10 minute default.
Old July 11th 03, 03:30 PM
Beery

"Justin Sane" wrote in message ...
Given that you are aware
that CM has to be set up, and have played
many games against its personalities, you
should NOT be caught in the situation of
being midway through a 10-min rated game.

Oh, so it's MY fault is it? Oh, it's all so obvious now! All the
time I was thinking it was the game's fault for having a clunky and
time-consuming interface, or that it was the designer's fault for
choosing default selections that no one uses, but all the time it was
MY fault! Well I should be punished then shouldn't I. You're a
naughty boy Beery, don't do it again!

When I start a chess game I put full concentration into the game. I
shouldn't be distracted by the need to cater to a game designers'
decision to burden me with an unnecessary responsibility. This is
supposed to be a chess program, not a NASA space flight simulator. I
shouldn't have to negotiate with the interface for even a split second
during a session. I should be able to configure the game (once only)
so that I can automatically be set up with the game as I like to play
it as soon as I click on the short-cut on my desktop. This is basic
game design 101 - get the player into the pre-configured game as
quickly and easily as possible. It's not rocket science.
Old July 11th 03, 03:40 PM
Justin Sane

It's not YOUR fault.

It IS your decision to continue to