Shredder Breaks 2800

Old July 9th 03, 08:25 PM
Michael Ferguson

Default Shredder Breaks 2800

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:58:44 GMT, "Gunny Bunny"
wrote:

First Chess Program to ever to do on SSDF !

http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1048

Wow. Now that a $500 eMachines PC can outplay most Grandmasters, we
really have to wonder, is there any point to chess anymore?

-- mcf

Old July 9th 03, 11:21 PM
Jenö Nyerges

wrote:

First Chess Program to ever to do on SSDF !

http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1048

Wow. Now that a $500 eMachines PC can outplay most Grandmasters, we
really have to wonder, is there any point to chess anymore?

I think thats a strange logic.Look, cars are faster than humans yet we have sprinting and marathon... so what counts is competition between humans.See my point?

Cheers

Jenö Nyerges

-- mcf

Old July 13th 03, 08:58 AM
marc margolies

Everyone says that but is bad arithmetic, Euclid. If you are the best in a
group, you are then statistically forced to play weaker opponents and the
results will show it.
"Euc1id" wrote in message
"qwerty" wrote in message
Gunny Bunny wrote:
First Chess Program to ever to do on SSDF !

http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1048

No offense to Shredder but it broke 2800 due to its relatively easy
opponents it has played. Av. opponent rating for Shredder 7.04 is 2607,
while av. opponent rating for Deep Fritz 7 is 2637.
Also, Shredder 7.04 is not tested against Deep Fritz 7, who is proven to
beat Shredder with ease. (Shredder 7 15˝-24˝ Deep Fritz 7)

I think you are correct. It may not have gone over 2800 if it had played a
match vs Deep Fritz. That is presumably an oversight(?).

However I'll note that I've just bought and installed Shredder 7 and am
happy with it so far. Things seems to work OK, including the 7.04 UCI
engine. A friend of mine reports having a problem with the Classic

Shredder
6 GUI, but is seems to work OK on my W98se system, as well as the Fritz

GUI.
I believe my friend is probably running Windows XP(?).
--
Euc1id