CM ratings vary depending on processor power - WHY???

Old July 10th 03, 03:27 PM
John Grabowski

Default CM ratings vary depending on processor power - WHY???

Brian wrote:
If you look at the chessmaster personality, it will be dynamic based on what
the computer says. For example, it will say, "On this computer, Chessmaster
is rated 2740" or something like that. I don't think (though I could be
wrong) that the other personalities are dynamic, so a 1600 won't change
based on processor.

So, at any rate, I'd be surprised if the difference between your old
computer and new computer is more than 50 points or so. Believe me,
computer chess programs do NOT vary as much as you're thinking. Maybe it is
a bit more than 50 points if you haven't updated your computer in a long
time... but I believe your drastic difference your seeing is not based on
this.

Well, lesse, on my old laptop, the personality "Luke" is rated 1799. On
my new computer he's 1910. Yeah, pretty big difference.

John

--
Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean something is true. --Gen. Richard
Meyers, on why we haven't found WMDs in Iraq

Old July 10th 03, 03:36 PM
John Grabowski

You wrote something that intrigued me, which is

Brian wrote:

Lastly, you're putting too much faith in the CM personalities being the
rating they are stated as. As someone who played them religiously as you
have done for years, I was very surprised when I played OTB tournaments.
Their ratings are too low in general,

Are you saying the CM personalities are rated too low, as in a 2000 CM
personality should really be rated higher? If so, that's the first time
I've ever heard that said about the CM personalities.

Or am I misunderstanding?

John

Old July 10th 03, 03:36 PM
Beery

I'm using a Pentium 4 2.65Ghz with 512MB RAM (or higher) computer. Is
anyone here using a comparable machine? Is it possible that on such a
fast machine there could be some issue that's causing this problem? I
suspect that most players who aren't experiencing this issue may be
using significantly slower machines.
Old July 10th 03, 03:45 PM
John Grabowski

Beery wrote:

If, as others have argued, the CPU speed doesn't really affect the
ratings too much, and if we assume that the personality ratings are
indeed correct, then perhaps it's a certain style of play that's
causing me to choke.

THAT is very likely. There are some CM personalities I can't beat, even
though I can beat personalities above their level. One of the great
benefits of the CM program is how it gives you a broad range of playing
styles and quirks. I, as most people do, play better against some than
others. For example, I found the personalities that moved quickly after
I did would often rattle me even if they weren't as strong as others I
could beat. I find it disconcerting to play someone who moves
*immediately* after I do. By playing these CM personalities a lot, I
learned to overcome that and slow down and take my time, at least somewhat.

That's one of the top reasons I recommend CM to people. If you can
forgive the god-ugly GUI, it's very useful for simulating a large,
varied chess club.

John

Old July 10th 03, 07:36 PM
John Merlino

John Grabowski wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:
[...]

If you're using CM8000, then your new computer is over four times as
fast as your old laptop. If you're using CM9000, then it is almost
eight times faster.

Am I right?

jm
Old July 13th 03, 08:13 PM
Brian

That's 111 points; I guess "pretty big difference" is relative. That number
your looking at is based off of some type of algorithm the GUI produces that
tries to account for processor specs, it isn't a true rating (SSDF for
example) and is generalized for average play, not taking into account time
controls, etc.

Generally you won't find that big of a difference in engine strength as
processors increase. In your case maybe you will have that big of a
difference (I said 50 points or so) if you haven't updated your computer in
eons, but again on tournament time controls I stand by what I said. In part
this is because of the number of moves chess engines can see (from
XBitLabs):

CPU
Calculation depth (half moves)

1GHz
6

1000GHz
8

1000THz
10

Brian

Old July 13th 03, 08:20 PM
John Grabowski

John Merlino wrote:

If you're using CM8000, then your new computer is over four times as
fast as your old laptop. If you're using CM9000, then it is almost
eight times faster.

Roughly, I think.

John

--
No matter what defeatist tack liberals take, real Americans are behind
our troops 100 percent, behind John Ashcroft 100 percent, behind locking