5334 Polgar PGN Project

Old July 11th 03, 05:13 PM
Ari Makela

Default 5334 Polgar PGN Project

In article , Sleightly wrote:
I heard of 53 some-odd owners of Laszlo Polgar's Chess: 5334 problems
getting together and making a composite PGN file of the problems from the
book. There doesn't seem to be any problem with copyright, as you are
allowed to reproduce a printed item you own for personal use...

Copyright laws are different in different countries but at least in
Finland, where I live, yes, you can copy, but you are not allowed to
distribute the data *if* a collection of chess positions is protected by
copyright laws. Is such a collection protected? I just don't know.

I have the book and I really would like have it as a file, too. It would
be more useful as a studying tool.

--
Ari Makela http://arska.org/hauva/

"Deux fous gagnent toujours, mais trois fous, non!" - Alexander Alekhine

Old July 12th 03, 01:06 AM
Greg Teets

As another poster suggested, this has been done but under copyright
laws distribution is limited to the 53 or so people who did it.

I assumed that your question was to get another team together to do it
for that team's personal benefit.

Correct?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:37:26 GMT, "Sleightly"
wrote:

I heard of 53 some-odd owners of Laszlo Polgar's Chess: 5334 problems
getting together and making a composite PGN file of the problems from the
book. There doesn't seem to be any problem with copyright, as you are
allowed to reproduce a printed item you own for personal use...

I am interested in collaborating with others who have this book to make a
composite file that I can load on a PDA or on my computer...

Any takers?

ajp

Old July 12th 03, 02:33 PM
Dirk

I do have the book(s) of Polgar as well ,and I am verry interested in the
files.
regards dirk

Old July 12th 03, 03:17 PM
Sleightly

Manuel:

Tried to email you to ask some questions about the existing project, it
bounced back... Please drop me a line at and
I'll start coordinating... (lose *spamalert*)...

Thanks!

Andrew

"M. Wehrmann" wrote in message

"Sleightly" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I heard of 53 some-odd owners of Laszlo Polgar's Chess: 5334 problems
getting together and making a composite PGN file of the problems from

the
book. There doesn't seem to be any problem with copyright, as you are
allowed to reproduce a printed item you own for personal use...

I am interested in collaborating with others who have this book to make

composite file that I can load on a PDA or on my computer...

That job is already done.
I've got the pgn file.

Manuel Wehrmann

Old July 12th 03, 07:49 PM
mdamien

"Sleightly" wrote in message
Yup, I don't mind reinventing the wheel to operate within the constraints

of
the law...

Andrew

email me at and I'll start coordinating...
(obviously remove the *spamalert* from the above address...

news

wrote:

I heard of 53 some-odd owners of Laszlo Polgar's Chess: 5334 problems
getting together and making a composite PGN file of the problems from

the
book. There doesn't seem to be any problem with copyright, as you are
allowed to reproduce a printed item you own for personal use...

I am interested in collaborating with others who have this book to make

composite file that I can load on a PDA or on my computer...

Any takers?

ajp

I have the book and wouldn't mind helping out.