ChessBase Searches

Old July 20th 03, 12:57 AM
gordon.houlsby

Default ChessBase Searches

Lukino wrote in message =
Hi everybody. I've a little problem with ChessBase searching
functions... Let's say...
How can I find positions in which, for ex, a player has 2 pawns and a
rook, and the other player 2 pawns (specular to others), a rook AND a
passed pawn?
I've tried, but I can't found how
=20
Thanks a lot.
Luca
=20
=20

Which version of ChessBase are you using? What is the format of your =
database (PGN, CBF, CBH)?

If you're using CBLight or CB6 or better, then this should work:

For a .cbh database, omit the first two steps.

If your database is in PGN or CBF format:

1) Make a backup of your database

2) In the databases window, right-click the icon associated with your =
database.
A menu will appear. Select "Convert to new format" and left-click.

3) Install an endgame key, which automatically lists all R+2 vs R+3 (1 =
passed) games in your database.

HTH

Old July 20th 03, 01:24 AM
Lukino

3) Install an endgame key, which automatically lists all R+2 vs R+3 (1
passed) games in your database.

ChessBase 8 and a CBH database. So no problem. Thanks it worked quite
well... But the search function would be more accurate, I think... I can
write, for example something like R+3p vs R+2p. The 2p in the strongest
side are speculars to 2 of the other side pawns, the other is passed. In
Endgame Key I don't think I can do this, right?

Thanks.

Luca

Old July 20th 03, 01:29 AM
gordon.houlsby

Lukino wrote in message =
3) Install an endgame key, which automatically lists all R+2 vs R+3 =

(1
passed) games in your database.
=20
ChessBase 8 and a CBH database. So no problem. Thanks it worked quite
well... But the search function would be more accurate, I think... I =

can
write, for example something like R+3p vs R+2p. The 2p in the =

strongest
side are speculars to 2 of the other side pawns, the other is passed. =

In
Endgame Key I don't think I can do this, right?

Wrong. There is a subkey in "Pure Rook Endings/Reine Turmendspiele"

In the game list, click the "Endgames" tab. Next, click R + 3P : R + 2P

Now click=20

R + 3P (symbol for passed pawn: circle with vertical arrow on top) : R + =
2P; passed vs. no passed pawns. =20

=20
Thanks.
=20
Luca
=20
=20

YW

Old July 20th 03, 01:41 AM
Lukino

R + 3P (symbol for passed pawn: circle with vertical arrow on top) : R +
2P; passed vs. no passed pawns.

Best would be R+pp(not passed)(.)p(passed) vs R+pp(not passed)
with the "." meaning that passed pawn is isolated
Thanks

Old July 20th 03, 02:23 AM
gordon.houlsby

Lukino wrote in message =
R + 3P (symbol for passed pawn: circle with vertical arrow on top) : =

R +
2P; passed vs. no passed pawns.
=20
=20
Best would be R+pp(not passed)(.)p(passed) vs R+pp(not passed)
with the "." meaning that passed pawn is isolated
Thanks
=20
=20

The nearest I can get to that is this: ignore the endgame key.

In the game list, hit Alt+M

check the "Material" box.

"Ignore colours" should be checked as a default... ensure that it is.

wR 1 - 1 bR 1 - 1

wP 3 - 3 bP 2 - 2

check box w Passed check box b Connect b !Passed

This lists some games which meet your criteria, some which do not.

Anyone have any better ideas?