CB CA

Old July 20th 03, 10:57 PM
the-fighter

Default CB CA

CA6.1 seems very faster than CB8.
True?
According to search games, copy and paste...
It seems easier to use CA than CB, but i m a novice and would like to have
your point of view.

Thx
Old July 21st 03, 04:28 AM
Anon Anonymous

I can't say that I agree 100%. CA is great, but try accomplishing the
following task with CA:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1069

nm

"Alberich" wrote in message
. ..
In article , the-
says...
You're not imagining it. CA is better than CB. Enjoy.

Old July 21st 03, 08:17 AM
Russell Reagan

"Anon Anonymous" wrote

I can't say that I agree 100%. CA is great, but try accomplishing the
following task with CA:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1069

Why do you need ChessBase for that? grep can do that, and it's free. If you
wanted to get really exact, you might need sed and awk, but they're free
too.

Old July 21st 03, 05:38 PM
Michael Heesemann

Hi,

Anon Anonymous wrote:
Could you post your scripts that would accomplish the task here?

Try
grep -A 1 -B 20 '[\.[:space:]][a-h]x..#' games.pgn

Michael

Old July 21st 03, 05:51 PM
Russell Reagan

"Anon Anonymous" wrote

Could you post your scripts that would accomplish the task here?

I don't have any scripts that will do this, but they wouldn't be difficult
to write. For instance if you had one game per file, you could use this to
find files containing pawn captres with mate.

grep -l '[a-h]x[a-h][1-8]#' *.pgn

Of course, it's not perfect, but you could make it so. You could write
little grep scripts like this and then make a shell script to drive the
whole thing and find the particular pattern you want. You get the idea.

Old July 21st 03, 09:35 PM
Karl Müller

For me it seems, there must be a real alternative for CB8, because it´s very
bugy and
thats something i really hate. After the latest update, Fritz 8 doesnt work
correct anymore.
So maybe there is something on the market i still don´t know and could be
interesting.
I just want a stable program that must not do everything but should have a
nice gui.
Thanks for your suggestions.

[email protected]

Old July 22nd 03, 02:07 AM
Chet Marino

I have never had a problem with the stability of Chessabse products. I
have repeatedly gotten error messages with 2 CA products I have on my
computer.

C. Marino

Old July 22nd 03, 03:44 AM
Anon Anonymous

Thanks

nm

(now I have to convert hugebase to pgn ... ;-) )

news:[email protected]

Old July 22nd 03, 09:21 AM
John

Yeah right, spoken like a true programmer would.
Please bear in mind that most users of the programs
will not be computer experts. For them grep/sed/awk are
not an option at all. They must have it in the GUI.