I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
Scott

Default I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Tim hails from the very best location on earth (MA,US) and he runs a
top-notch chess club (second only to the metrowest club) - he is
Harvard educated (you may have heard of it) - and he has relevant job
experience with various organizations (i.e. Scleroderma and MACA) -
and more importantly - as a frequent newsgroup poster and prolific
chess journalist - Tim will keep us informed.

Sam hails from the second best location on earth (NY, US) and would be
a strong voice against the move to TN - and while the chess world no
longer has Bobby Fischer - at least we have someone nearly as
flamboyant - Sam Sloan. Although Sam may be a bit eccentric - I am
convinced that he truly has a passion for chess and that his
experience with finance and litigation would help greatly with the
various troubles of the USCF.

Lastly, a personal note in regards to the survival of the USCF:

I feel the key is keeping scholastic members on as adult members (for
life) - this can be accomplished by promoting chess in the schools -
chess should be given equal importance as English, Math, Science, etc.
Wouldn't it be great if chess puzzles were on the SAT? What is so
important about chess? Chess is the universe encapsulated - it is
representative of the evolution of consciousness and the human
condition and helps to promotes logical thinking and scientific
understanding. In my opinion the USCF survival IS the survival of
chess - one may argue that there are other organizations such as FIDE
and internet chess that help to popularize and promote chess - but
these are fractured groups and not a unifying stable force that will
continue the legacy of chess for future generations. The USCF is the
United States Chess Federation and as such has very strong name
recognition - representing the culture and values of the strongest and
richest nation in the world. What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world. It should be noted that
while chess originated elsewhere in the world - like many other things
- the United States has the unique ability to diffuse this knowledge
and promote learning, understanding, democracy, and peace - we are the
apex of the evolution of social and political organizations and as
such - if chess is to have a future - the United States represented by
the Unites States Chess Federation will have the essential role of
preserving and promoting the greatest creation of humanity - Chess.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:11 AM
Briarroot

Scott wrote:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Don't feel too bad. I voted for Hanke and Schultz! ;-)

Tim hails from the very best location on earth (MA,US) and he runs a
top-notch chess club (second only to the metrowest club) - he is
Harvard educated (you may have heard of it) - and he has relevant job
experience with various organizations (i.e. Scleroderma and MACA) -
and more importantly - as a frequent newsgroup poster and prolific
chess journalist - Tim will keep us informed.

What's all that got to do with the price of french fries?

Sam hails from the second best location on earth (NY, US) and would be
a strong voice against the move to TN - and while the chess world no
longer has Bobby Fischer - at least we have someone nearly as
flamboyant - Sam Sloan. Although Sam may be a bit eccentric - I am
convinced that he truly has a passion for chess and that his
experience with finance and litigation would help greatly with the
various troubles of the USCF.

PT Barnum.

Lastly, a personal note in regards to the survival of the USCF:

I feel the key is keeping scholastic members on as adult members (for
life) - this can be accomplished by promoting chess in the schools -
chess should be given equal importance as English, Math, Science, etc.
Wouldn't it be great if chess puzzles were on the SAT? What is so
important about chess? Chess is the universe encapsulated - it is
representative of the evolution of consciousness and the human
condition and helps to promotes logical thinking and scientific
understanding.

Heheh. This is a crock, but I like your attitude!

In my opinion the USCF survival IS the survival of
chess - one may argue that there are other organizations such as FIDE
and internet chess that help to popularize and promote chess - but
these are fractured groups and not a unifying stable force that will
continue the legacy of chess for future generations. The USCF is the
United States Chess Federation and as such has very strong name
recognition - representing the culture and values of the strongest and
richest nation in the world.

Guess what? Lots of people play chess in the USA and have never
heard of the USCF, and will go right on playing without ever
noticing if the USCF stands or falls.

What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world.

Wait! What's that theme song I hear playing in the background?

? It should be noted that
while chess originated elsewhere in the world - like many other things
- the United States has the unique ability to diffuse this knowledge
and promote learning, understanding, democracy, and peace - we are the
apex of the evolution of social and political organizations and as
such

Horse hockey! My cat is the apex of social and political evolution.
He reminds me of that fact every day.

- if chess is to have a future - the United States represented by
the Unites States Chess Federation will have the essential role of
preserving and promoting the greatest creation of humanity - Chess.

Whew! What a load. You must feel 10 pounds lighter!

I'll give you a 6.5 on the Rolf scale. Not a bad score! ;-)
Old July 22nd 03, 08:31 AM
Joshua Houk

(Scott) wrote in
m:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Remind me to stay as far away from you as possible.

Joshua Houk
jlhouk#comcast.net
Old July 22nd 03, 06:42 PM
Oreo Knight

Joshua Houk wrote in message ...
(Scott) wrote in
m:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Remind me to stay as far away from you as possible.

Joshua Houk
jlhouk#comcast.net

Agreed...let's hope that the disease is not contagious. :-P

O.K.
Old July 23rd 03, 06:23 AM
Noah Roberts

What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world.

What culture? Culture has died here. All we have is reality television
and the latest "stab your friend in the back for money" game shows where
you win by ****ing you best friend's wife...

What values? The values of the United States went down in flames during
the wake of fear following 9/11. The only thing valued here is money
and the almighty flag - a rag that people are willing to throw away
their rights for...the very rights that rag is supposed to symbolize.

The only things America has to share are greed, avarice, lust, wrath,
gluttony, pride, and envy. Which is truely unfortunate because there is
plenty of potential.

NR

Old July 23rd 03, 05:36 PM
Mr. Hat

Noah Roberts wrote in message ...
[...]

I agree...and what was the psychobabble about being the most powerful
and richest nation? Basically the the U.S. represents a big bully that
can't even take care of itself (rather it wants to just beat the hell
out of what it calls "weaker" nations in order to make itself look
good).
Old July 24th 03, 11:40 AM
Bo Persson

Default OT: Core Values

"Noah Roberts" wrote:

_______________________________________
We, the people of the USA certainly aren't perfect and have

admittedly
made our share of mistakes from which we will continue to learn

and
grow. The flag is not merely a "rag" (your term) but a strong and
powerful symbol of the freedoms for which many of our men and

women
have given the ultimate sacrifice for well over 200 years.

Those sacrifices may have been in vain (assuming you are right and

they
where to protect freedom, some where, most where just wasted). Like

said, in the wake of 9/11 we quickly lost many of the freedoms we

had
(or thought we had) and we are quickly loosing the rest. It also

must
be stated that these rights where being wittled away BEFORE 9/11,

that
tradgety just provided a catalyst in which value systems contrary to

our
foundational freedoms thrived.

And it is a rag, it is a piece of cloth. Many people forget that

all
too easily and some are so overcome by flag worship that they would
actually kill someone over it. It may be a symbol, but it is still

just
a rag and is insignificant in importance when weighed against the
foundational ideals of this country - the very ideals that rag is
supposed to symbolize. Someone who really believes in those ideals
would celebrate that flag being burned because it means we live in a
country where the rights of the people outweigh the value of a piece

of
cloth. Unfortunately this is NOT what happens and lawmakers and

other
minions have been trying to take that right away for years; the

latest
attempt an actual ammendment to the constitution.

After 9/11 when I saw all of those people waiving the flag about

while
also screaming for someone to silence anyone who spoke ill about the
president or questioned his integrity I have not been able to look

at
the flag without wanting to scream. I have come to view it as a

symbol
of the continuing collapse of our society. I don't see a free

system of
government, I see 600 people locked away without trial,

representation
by lawyer, or contact with their family members; I see 600 people

that
dissapeared. I see the PATRIOT act, the contined attempt to conceal
facts surrounding the tradgedy of 911, and the rights of everyone in
this country disappearing. I see society blindly saluting this flag
while saying "SHUSH". That is what the flag sybolizes to me; so

when it
comes down to it, I hate the flag.

applause!

It's easy to be a critic, at least in the USA where you have the
freedom to be one.

For now, in some cases. There are too many people, many in high

places,
trying to silence voices of descent among the populace. Hell, my
neighboring state recently tried to pass a law to declair protesting

"terrorist activity". Value the fact that I have the right to speak

out
against the actions of my government. For woe is the day when I no
longer can. And I am too afraid that day is nigh on hand.

And if you happen to live outside the US, like if you are a secretary
of state in France or Germany, you better shut up or your country will
be "punished" for not wanting to start a new war (for once).

Sigh!

Bo Persson

Old July 24th 03, 02:20 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

What really cracks me up is how the nations who behave like a Democracy and
follow the will of the MAJORITY (such as France and Germany) are criticised,
ridiculed, and hated. The nations who behave like DICTATORSHIPS and go
AGAINST the majority of the population, such as Great Britain, are praised.

I thought the USA was all pro-Democracy. If that`s so, why are they being
so hard on the nations who actually did what the majority wanted, and so
friendly with those who did the opposite?

- Joshua B. Lilly