chessmaster or fritz?

Old July 23rd 03, 08:04 AM
carnifex

Default chessmaster or fritz?

which is the best of the two? i have played chessmaster 6k 8k and 9k
but not played fritz.
Old July 24th 03, 03:08 AM
John Grabowski

Euc1id wrote:
fritz

Chessmaster!

--
I have more money than God, but not as much as Oprah. --Roseanne Barr

Old July 24th 03, 03:09 AM
John Grabowski

John Grabowski wrote:
Euc1id wrote:

fritz

Chessmaster!

Fritz!

--
I have more money than God, but not as much as Oprah. --Roseanne Barr

Old July 24th 03, 10:51 PM
Karl Müller

Fritz or Chessmaster ?
Try both, maybe elder editions CM8 and fritz6.
You nearly get it for nothing on ebay.

If your a beginner maybe you prefer cm, advanced player usually like Fritz
more,
because it offers more professional skills.
Try it and tell us later what you think
elbro

Old July 25th 03, 06:03 PM
Znarf

Once this question is settled and we have agreement among the users, we will
move on to less divisive subjects, such as deciding which God among the
faiths is the One True God.

Until then, I prefer Chessmaster - What can I say, I like bells and
whistles. Just my personal choice. Both are excellent software packages.

m...

Old July 27th 03, 03:08 PM
MC

I have both.

Some people say that Fritz8 is the stronger program, but on some recent
competition (I can't recall the URL) Chessmaster (or TheKing engine) took
first place in a field including Fritz.

I do like Fritz's analysis output a lot more than I do Chessmaster's; I
analyze all my games with Fritz8. Some people rave about the Fritz gui... I
think it utterly sucks...

For example, in Fritz8 if you want to play a G/60 rated game, you first have
to go to Game | Levels | Blitz Game... and set the clock there. Then you
have to go to File | New | Rated Game... It has a "doubling" feature that I
really don't care about; all I wanna do is play and try to beat the program.
Anyway, if you wanted to play Black but last time you played a rated game
you played Black, the computer will set the board with you as White... you
have to resign and play another game if you want to play as Black. (One
good thing about rated games is that you can set the specific elo you want
to play against all the way to Master - 2350). But the options are
scattered here and there... I don't see how anyone can tell me that the
Fritz gui is intuitive... that's why the Steve Lopez notes became so famous.

OTOH, if you want to play a game (rated/non-rated) on Chessmaster, ALL THE
SETTINGS for the game are right there on a single screen. You select the
opponent (and associated elo level), the time control, your side of the
board and voila! Off to play your game you go.

3-D (both programs). You need to drink some beer to really see it... I
mean, the pieces get so shiny... and the colour, the colour... burp! err
sorry!!! What I do is set up a real board and reproduce moves there.

My kids love CM. I have various programs (CM9K, Fritz8, Hiarcs8,
Shredder7.04, Crafty19.3, Ruffian1.0.1, Chess Tiger 15 for Palm) mainly
because every program has it's own unique "style" and I want to be sure that
I don't get used to any one style in particular.

Unless you want "bells and whistles", Crafty with Winboard and Scid to store
your games is a completely acceptable (and FREE!!!!!) solution for chess
training. I think everything boils down to personal preference, IMHO.
Unless your name is Garry Kasparov most of these programs (at full strength)
will in all likelihood kick your butt and hand it to you on a platter. Even
if your name is Garry you may end up just drawing and everybody hating you
for that.

So, make your pick. You just can't win.

MC
---

m...

Old August 3rd 03, 11:05 AM
Jim Roe

Comparing Chessmaster and Fritz is like comparing apples to oranges.
Fritz is for the quite strong player and will overwhelm
you unless you are quite active in online play.
Chessmaster is for the average player. Has many great features, easy to use,
great teacher.

Fritz is much stronger than Chessmaster but this matters little for us
mortals as they are both in the grandmaster strength.

Chessmasters strength is easily adjusted to suit your strength to give you a
chance of beating it. Fritz does the same in an awkward way.
Start with Chessmaster.
"John Grabowski" wrote in message
John Grabowski wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

John Grabowski wrote:

John Grabowski wrote:

Euc1id wrote:

fritz

Chessmaster!

Fritz!

Chessmaster!

Tastes great!

Less filling!

--
I have more money than God, but not as much as Oprah. --Roseanne Barr

Old August 3rd 03, 07:38 PM
John Merlino

"Jim Roe" wrote in message ...
Fritz is much stronger than Chessmaster but this matters little for us
mortals as they are both in the grandmaster strength.

Wrong. It has been proven many times over, as well as shown several
times on this and other boards, that Chessmaster and Fritz are of
"equal strength", meaning that it cannot be proven which one is
stronger than the other.

jm