Chessbase: Explanations and Recommendations Needed

Old July 24th 03, 06:05 PM
Mike Ogush

Default Chessbase: Explanations and Recommendations Needed

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:39:22 GMT, Joshua Houk
wrote:

(Mike Ogush) wrote in
:

Databases vary in price: Chessbase 8 Basic (Does not include any
games) a t$139.and Chess Assistant 7.1 at about $90 are on the high
end.

Just a correction: Chessbase 8 Basic does include the Big Database 2003
with 2 million+ games. The Mega edition comes with the Megabase (basically
same games, but with about 50,000 with analysis) CorrDatabase, and other
assorted goodies.

I also would follow the recommendation of getting Scid or Chessbase Light
to see what database programs can do before spending the money. Scid might
be all you need.

Joshua Houk

Thanks for the correction I bought Chessbase 8 two years ago and
forgot that it did include BigDatabase (2001 at the time). One aside:
I believe you can get the equiivalent of the Chessbase 8 Mega package
for less money by purchasing "Chessbase 8 Basic" and the "Opening
Encylopedia" (which I think contains all of the annotated games).
This is what I mought at the time.

Mike Ogush
Old July 26th 03, 04:19 PM
Jim Roe

For what you want to do, Fritz is mor than enough.
Using Fritz aalone, the answer to all your questions is yes, yes, yes . . .

Chess Assistant 7.1 is also an excellent choice.

Personally, having both, I would give the nod to CA only because it has a
100
page manual compared to Fritz's 19 pages of incredibly small font.

"dan foley" wrote in message
om...
I need advice on Chessbase - I am thinking of purchasing it and don't
exactly know what I'm buying. Is ChessBase just the software that is
required to use databases of games and openings, or does it actually
come with games and the ability to do queries against the games
database? How would you recommend starting out with this program?
I would also like to be able to analyze games as well, so I think I
would want the Fritz software too.

Thanks,
Dan Foley