I love handheld chess computers

Old July 29th 03, 03:45 PM
mafergut

Default I love handheld chess computers

"Dan Yobry"wrote this
No, but really folks. I am a huge fan of my Palm Pilot with Chess Tiger.
Chess Tiger puts up a good fight. Actually, when I jack up the trainer

level
on it, it routinely kicks my ass (I'm not that good).

How would compare in playing strength one of this chess handhelds against a
Pocket PC with a chess software? It varies you will say, and I know but, in
general terms, if you would buy lets say one of those Touch Chess or an iPAQ
h1910, taking for granted you buy the iPAQ only to play chess, would the
improvement in playing strength compensate the increase in price?

And, by the way, which chess programs are available por Pocket PC and which
are the strongers ones? There are any freeware?

Thanks in advance,
mafergut

Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 29th 03, 08:00 PM
Sam Stark

Posted earlier.

If anyone is interested I thought I would share my experience with portable
computer chess. Forgive the rambling but here is a stream of consciousness.
I've played computer chess sporadically over the years. It's more
convenient and I have more free time away from a desktop. I've never found
a laptop really effective and since I rarely travel I never bothered with
one. I used to use a Saitek Cavalier since 1989. It still works which is
surprising but it plays poorly- I'd say 1500 to 1600 at 40 moves /80
minutes. I splurged after doing some research and went for a PDA which is
really devoted to nothing but chess. I've found that pen and paper and cell
phone really takes care of all the PDA PIM functions. I tried an HP LX100
a dozen years ago as a PIM and gave up on PDA's then. For chess I decided
on a PocketPC instead of a Palm. The hardware is more capable, cheaper and
the Chess software more varied. I bought an HP Ipaq 1910 at Office Depot
for $250 with coupon. It's a stripped down Ipaq, no wifi. Display is
great, absolutely gorgeous, smaller than a pack of cigarettes ( half the
size), connection to PC is very easy and all games played on the PocketPC
can be downloaded to desktop. The software is surprisingly diverse. Pocket
Fritz2 is really slick and plays well-$50. Pocket Grandmaster 2, $20, is
truly excellent. The interface is as slick as Fritz but you can use
alternative engines 3 in all, Gromit, Ruffian and SOS. They are remarkably
different. Pocket Crafty, free, is equally strong but the user interface
poor. I can play chess using any of the 3. I also bought an 128 meg SD
card, $30 with coupon at Costco, and downloaded enormous game databases.
The Pocket Grandmaster2 database interface is clearly better than Fritz. As
to playing strength, I play only at 40/80, I would almost equally match the
Gromit engine with Fritz (really Shredder I believe) but all of them are
surprisingly strong. Next in strength Crafty then Ruffian and then SOS;
these ratings are anecdotal. If I had to buy only one Chess program it
would be Pocket Grandmaster2-note its bought on-line via download. None in
strength match a desktop. If I had to rate them like SSDF, again
anecdotally, on a relative basis compared to games I've played 40/80 on the
desktop using Crafty, CM etc I'd say 200-300 points lower so say 2200-2300.
I'd be curious to hear from anyone on their perceived or scientific ratings
of these pocket chess programs. Overall delighted with the PocketPC
approach to chess. Only drawback is the battery lasts about 5 hours and
that's with not toning down the chess program at all, e.g. pondering on.
Note that model 1910 has replaceable batteries. Again, I have no financial
or other interest in any of the above vendors, I just wanted to share with
other members of the newsgroup my experience to assist them in evaluating
any future purchase.

Old July 30th 03, 11:52 AM
mafergut

Thanks for this helpful information.
I think then, that an h2215 or better PDA, with faster CPU (400Mhz vs 200 in
the 1910) would play really strong!!! Not that I like the prospect of
getting wiped out of the board by a cigarrette pack but only amazed by
the numbers of 2300 Elo in this tiny thing!
mafergut

Old July 30th 03, 01:43 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
"mafergut" wrote:

How would compare in playing strength one of this chess handhelds against a
Pocket PC with a chess software? It varies you will say, and I know but, in
general terms, if you would buy lets say one of those Touch Chess or an iPAQ
h1910, taking for granted you buy the iPAQ only to play chess, would the
improvement in playing strength compensate the increase in price?

According to the SSDF list, Chess Tiger for the Palm has a rating of
over 2000, and Chess Genius over 1800 (I forgot the exact figures), and
this is for "slow" Palms with processors around 40 mHz. Faster
processors on some new palms should yield even higher ratings, and
Pocket PCs do have much faster processors. Unless you are a master,
these programs will beat you every time on the highest settings.

Henri