Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago!

Old July 31st 03, 12:34 AM
Scott

Default Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago!

http://www.mrfixitonline.com/readTop...tingId=1366118

"Kasparov rather nervously asked me if I had a rating. I replied 2084
and he, not looking very happy, asked why I didn't write it down in
front of the board next to my name. I replied that no one asked me too
and that the Belzberg people knew my rating and only today OK my
playing since I am a client. He then stated that if he had known I was
rated that highly he would have played differently rather than getting
into a very theoretical line. Being aware of the 2000 cutoff I again
appologized for the misunderstanding and we quickly realized that the
Belzberg staff had erred in not telling people to write down their
ratings (these were different people than from the NYC event). I
simply stated "I'm sorry for the confusion, I won't play " and started
to get up and Garry, reiterating that he'd have played differently vs
a rated expert, started resetting the pieces to the starting position
and said we can restart. Being rather shocked by this and what was
over a minute of commotion and confusion I knew the gentlemanly thing
for me to do was to step away and let someone else under 2000 play."
Old July 31st 03, 02:36 AM
mondo

Scott wrote:
[...]

I think the whole situation was handled rather professionally. For his
trouble mr Kazaross was given some one on one time with Kasparov. Your
subject line while accurate doesn't relay the whole event.

Old July 31st 03, 04:19 AM
Wet_Chess_Dreams

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"gentlemanly"? ROFL you sir are no gentleman! You are a COWARD and a PHONEY!
You, a mere garden-variety expert, have an opportunity to play a second game
with one of the greatest chess minds ever and you act with such pomposity as
to decline? Jackasses like you make me sick to my stomach! You try to play
the role of everyone's "moral superiour" but in reality you are just a
little chicken **** hypocrite. Do us all a favour and find a hole in the
ground to bury your head in!!

WCD

Old July 31st 03, 04:48 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Wet_Chess_Dreams" wrote in
message . ca...

SNIP

Looks like Jason Repa has switched his synonym yet *again*.

sigh

Why does this child never learn?

Regards,

Matt

Old July 31st 03, 02:47 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
"Wet_Chess_Dreams" wrote:

"gentlemanly"? ROFL you sir are no gentleman! You are a COWARD and a PHONEY!
You, a mere garden-variety expert, have an opportunity to play a second game
with one of the greatest chess minds ever and you act with such pomposity as
to decline? Jackasses like you make me sick to my stomach! You try to play
the role of everyone's "moral superiour" but in reality you are just a
little chicken **** hypocrite. Do us all a favour and find a hole in the
ground to bury your head in!!

I disagree. both players did the right thing in a gentlemanly manner,
and neither player was responsible for the mistake. It is clear that if
the player had kept playing a new game against kasparov, the latter
would have put particular attention to that game, because losing it
would have been a great humiliation. The way it was handled was a
minimum-hassle solution. Kudos to all.

Henri
Old July 31st 03, 03:44 PM
Flobby Bischer

Your forgot a key rule....as soon as he started setting up the pieces you
should have yelled, "woo hoo I won!"

m...

Old July 31st 03, 05:28 PM
Nonyz

Judging from the original post, Kazaross [the OP] doesn't feel cheated
in any sense and isn't bitter about the way things went. It was a case
of simple misunderstanding, where both parties involved did the right
thing.

Slightly OT, would I, a player rated around 1500 on a good day,
enjoy/understand Kaspy's book about his match vs the world? I
remember, it was a big thrill participating in it and I got a
[cheaper] thrill in the end by calling Danny "The Dunce" King by that
name, when it was apparent that the game was over.

Old July 31st 03, 08:36 PM
Vince Hart

"John Smith" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Me don't get it! Mr. Whiner is actually preferring to play a theorical
sound opening against under 2000 players but not against a 2084 player?
Isn't the whole idea of studying opening so that you don't have to think
too much OTB?

I think he played theoretically sound openings against everyone,
however, I think he did not wish to play tactically sharp openings
against stronger players who might have tried to cook something up
from Fritz or Chess Base. From what I could tell, he played 1.e4
against most of his opponents who were or (he thought were) unrated.
He played 1.d4 against me which may have had something to do with the
fact that a 1950 rating was displayed next to my name. Against my
Nimzo-Indian, he played a rather obscure line without a lot of
tactical possibilities in which I quickly lost my way.

I suspect that Kasparov might have played 1.d4 against Mr. Kazaross if
he had known his rating and would have steered the game in a more
positional direction.

Vince Hart
Old July 31st 03, 10:42 PM
Ron Suarez

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:17:57 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Me don't get it! Mr. Whiner is actually preferring to play a theorical
sound opening against under 2000 players but not against a 2084 player?
Isn't the whole idea of studying opening so that you don't have to think
too much OTB?
"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I was at the event as a spectator. The above quote is taken out of
context. Following is the fellow's complete statement. As one will
note, everything is fine:

The Kasparov Simul in Chicago at the CBOE last night

Last evening Garry Kasparov came to the CBOE sponsered by Belzberg
Technologies and after an entertaining speech after the opening
cocktail party, the charming Kasparov put on a simul vs 24 players.
The CBOE is the stock option exchange in Chicago where I trade and
help manage a trading firm. When I signed up for the event it was
requested that I sign an affidavit stating that I had never been rated
over 2000. However, the last rating I recall for me was 2084 and I
signed up anyhow while making that very clear to them. I didn't really
expect to be allowed to play, but my friends at Belzberg here in
Chicago (my firm is a client) managed to arrange it so I could, noting
the Sid Belzberg is rated about 2050 and was playing. After a while it
was time for us players to make there way thru the crowded large room
and register. I stated that I couldn't sign the affidavit since I was
rated over 2000 and the Belzberg staff said, "no problem, Mr Kazaross,
we have your rating written down by your name" (which I noted on the
list of players) I was handed a big sheet of paper with my name
clearly written on it and asked to pick a seat which I choose next to
another backgammon expert who's recently retired from trading. Each
player and many guests were given copies of Kasparov's book concerning
his online game vs the world. (This book is really good and very
entertaining !) Anyhow, the games soon began and Garry greated the
players and choose e4 as his first move on most of the boards,
including mine.

As I had studied I played d5 playing into my recent pet known the
Scandanavian Defence. Off course after making the rounds captured with
exd5 and looked slightly surprised when I played Nf6 rather than
recapturing with the Queen like most beginners do. He then played Nf3
and I captured Nxd5 and he followed up with d4 and then had a slightly
concerned expression on his face when I played g6 to fianchetto and
basically end up in the main line after he follwed with c4 and I
retreated Nb6. Next from Garry came 6 Nc3 and I played Bg7 (not
wanting to play a line with an early Bg4. 7 h3 prevented any bishop
development at g4 but uses a tempo and simply went into another line I
was confortable with and I castled O-O. 8 Be3 was followed by Nc6 and
9 Qd2 was followed by my counterattack of e5. He then played d5 and
when he returned as I was reaching for my knight to play the messy
complicated Na5 line he rather nervously asked me if I had a rating. I
[...]
under 2000 play. (Also I didn't want to give up a nice complicated and
seemingly balanced double-edge position !)

As I stepped away Kasparov's aid, a very nice gentleman approached me
along with Alicia Belzberg and we discussed what had happened and I
said that I take no offence and they appologized for their errors in
not disclosing my rating to Kasparov. I requested that I get to spend
some time talking about chess with Kasparov after the event and they
agreed.

By about 2 hours later Kasparov had finished off everyone else
including the 1950 player who replaced me and sat down to dinner. His
aid came to get me and seated me next to him, bypassing a long line of
players wanting autographs. I asked for some chess advice and we
discussed our final position a little bit and I was photographed with
him and shaking hands a couple of times. Garry realized that it was
not my intention to "smurf" him and that it was all a missunderstading
caused by inexperienced staff. (Anyhow..how can I smurf a player over
2800 even if he is playing 23 other people ?!?)

The autograph in my book reads...To Neil Kazaross..never be shy of
your chess strength. See you next time. G Kasparov (and dated) Chicago
07/17/03

I arose and quickly went to the bar for my 5th drink with an ear to
ear smile. Earlier I had met Sidney Belzberg who dropped a couple
pawns and resigned in the middle game as he had no real play, and GM
Dmitry Gurevich, who has lived in Chicago for quite a while. We were
looking at an advance copy of Kasparov's new book about his
predecessors who were world champions and it, indeed, is superbly
written and analysed along with much new analysis.

So..I certainly had one of the most interesting evenings of my life
and things were just as good this morning at work !

....to be continued....neilkaz

Please note that Gary didn't make a fuss. I understand his viewpoint
in that he wanted to finish the games off in 3 hours or less. If the
playing crowd would have had a lot of experts and masters, the games
would have been more complex and taken more time to finish. The vast
majority of the seventy or so people there were not tournament chess
players. They were stock people and their ilk. My take on the event
was that this was not a major chess event rather a business PR
activity where Gary and Chess were highlighted.

The original poster, "Scott" is acting the troll in that he
selectively quoted the player and author to make the situation look
bad.

Ron Suarez
Old July 31st 03, 10:57 PM
Ron Suarez

wrote:

Me don't get it! Mr. Whiner is actually preferring to play a theorical
sound opening against under 2000 players but not against a 2084 player?
Isn't the whole idea of studying opening so that you don't have to think
too much OTB?
"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I attended the event as a spectator. The above quote is taken out of
context. Please note the following, complete quote of the player's
posting:

[...]

The vast majority of people at the event were not chess tournament
players. They were stock trading people and their ilk. It was
obvious to me that Gary quickly handled the higher rated players over
the board. I could tell that he "designed" the simul to last no more
than 3 hours. Of the 24 boards in the simul there appeared to be no
more than 9 or 10 that had tournament players at them. This was not a
major chess event. Instead, it was a business PR event highlighting
Gary and Chess. It worked.

Please note that the original poster, "Scott" is acting the troll in
his titling of his post as well as his selectivity in quoting the
player's statement.

Ron Suarez