Problem Running Chessbase7 in WindowsXP

Old August 1st 03, 07:55 AM
Miroslav Rakovic

Default Problem Running Chessbase7 in WindowsXP

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:21:00 GMT, "Danny Hardesty"
wrote:

I have installed Chessbase7 on my laptop computer which uses Windows XP
operating system. I have downloaded all the recent updates/patches from both
the Windows and Chessbase websites. However, when I go to run the Chessbase
program, an error message comes on that says a problem has been encountered
and the program must shut down. I fiddled with all the compatibility options
and nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions?

I have installed Chess Base 8 on my computer which usesWindowsXP,
recently. I had problems, also. So, I disabled system restore and CB 8
& Shredder 7 works fine, now. If you wish to use sistem restore, you
should install CB8 on separate partition and disable sistem restore on
that partition.

Best regards,
Miroslav Rakovic
Old August 1st 03, 01:35 PM
Danny Hardesty

wrote:

[...]

I disabled the system restore feature but that did not work. However, I got
up on the net and did a google search, went to the Microsoft site
recommended by Chessbase, and created a new user account on my laptop, then
right clicked chessbase, chose run, open with different account, and it
worked! So, I can now use Chessbase without getting the annoying screen
which popped up saying Chessbase must close....

Danny Hardesty

Old August 1st 03, 03:23 PM
CeeBee

Miroslav Rakovic wrote

I have installed Chess Base 8 on my computer which usesWindowsXP,
recently. I had problems, also. So, I disabled system restore and CB 8
& Shredder 7 works fine, now. If you wish to use sistem restore, you
should install CB8 on separate partition and disable sistem restore on
that partition.

I think you bump into another problem with that, namely that CB needs a
reference to the C-partition, which you obviously won't exclude from system
restore.

But according to ChessBase this issue should be solved with the latetst
upgrade:

April 4, 2003
- Opening Books (.ctg) files exempted from Windows XP system recovery
(problem with slow program exit because XP system recovery backs up the
book.

Did you update CB8 recently?

Good luck.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 1st 03, 07:12 PM
Miroslav Rakovic

On 1 Aug 2003 13:23:08 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

Miroslav Rakovic wrote

I have installed Chess Base 8 on my computer which usesWindowsXP,
recently. I had problems, also. So, I disabled system restore and CB 8
& Shredder 7 works fine, now. If you wish to use sistem restore, you
should install CB8 on separate partition and disable sistem restore on
that partition.

I think you bump into another problem with that, namely that CB needs a
reference to the C-partition, which you obviously won't exclude from system
restore.

Yes, I got another problem.
Now I can't use Games to Book option. When I try that I get message
Book Disk Error.

But according to ChessBase this issue should be solved with the latetst
upgrade:

April 4, 2003
- Opening Books (.ctg) files exempted from Windows XP system recovery
(problem with slow program exit because XP system recovery backs up the
book.

Did you update CB8 recently?

No, I didn't. I have very bad connection, and usually after some time
update just stop.
Is it possible to dowload update from some other site?
How large is update?
Is it posible to send me update to ?
If you decide to send me update, please zip it, to lower size of the
file.

Thank you.
Miroslav

Best regards,
Miroslav Rakovic
Old August 2nd 03, 12:08 AM
CeeBee

Miroslav Rakovic wrote

No, I didn't. I have very bad connection, and usually after some time
update just stop.
Is it possible to dowload update from some other site?
How large is update?
Is it posible to send me update to xxxxxxxxxxxx ?
If you decide to send me update, please zip it, to lower size of the
file.

IIRC the last update took some 3 Mb and probably already compressed, so it
won't lower the format. However contrary to the Fritz GUI upgrades I don't
know what the upgrade file is - if there are more, say if it is the
executable or a library file coming with the download.
I can't find a specific upgrade file. It seems at this moment I can't be of
much help in this regard.

Old August 2nd 03, 01:21 AM
Miroslav Rakovic

On 1 Aug 2003 22:08:08 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

Miroslav Rakovic wrote

No, I didn't. I have very bad connection, and usually after some time
update just stop.
Is it possible to dowload update from some other site?
How large is update?
Is it posible to send me update to xxxxxxxxxxxx ?
If you decide to send me update, please zip it, to lower size of the
file.

IIRC the last update took some 3 Mb and probably already compressed, so it
won't lower the format.

If I remember corectly, I think that zip will decrease the file to 1.6
MB. A few months ago I received file from somebody from Chessville
forum (unfortunately I lost the file). After I zipped it, zip size was
50% smaller.

However contrary to the Fritz GUI upgrades I don't
know what the upgrade file is - if there are more, say if it is the
executable or a library file coming with the download.
I can't find a specific upgrade file. It seems at this moment I can't be of
much help in this regard.

Today, I plated game on FICS and tried to update CB 8, but after few
second I got message that my version no need upgrade, but that's not
true.
Look at your ChessBase 8 folder. Look for c8.iup file. If you find
him, please send it to (zip it, ofcorse)

Thanks in advance
Miroslav

Best regards,
Miroslav Rakovic