150 Attack

Old August 6th 03, 02:36 AM
Jim Roe

Default 150 Attack

What are the first few moves of this
opening? ECO number?
Books? Your opinion on the opening?

thanks

Jim

Old August 6th 03, 03:40 AM
Simon Waters

Old August 7th 03, 10:05 PM
Mike Ogush

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 03:40:38 +0100, Simon Waters
wrote:

Jim Roe wrote:
What are the first few moves of this
opening? ECO number?
Books? Your opinion on the opening?

It's a Pirc line B07, with this little bit of info and Google you'll
find plenty.

It is more "system" than "move order".

The system involves White putting a bishop at e3, king's knight at f3,
queen at d2, castling queenside, and using the h-pawn (and possibly
the g-pawn as well) to pry open Black's king-side. Usual moves:
1.e4 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Be3 followed almost always by 5.Qd2

My opinion:

White can getting a crushing attack if Black plays "standard" Pirc
moves: 4...Bg7, 5...O-O. As far as I know, the Bbest way to combat it
from the Black side is to counter attack in the queenside immediately
, e.g., put pawns on c6 and b5 or pawns on a6 and b5 with Bb7 and in
either case continue developing: Nbd7, Qc7 or Qa5, possibly e5 at a
suitable moment. [Rule of thumb for Black: "don't castle until White
has castled king-side.] Black tries to force White to make two
commitments: 1) castling king-side when it will be safe for Black do
so also, and 2) either defend the e-pawn awkwardly (Bd3 or f3 or both)
or advance it so White becomes overextended.

In certain respects the variation has some similarity with the
Sicilian dragon in that White is amost always conducting a king-side
attack and Black is counterattacking on the queen-side.

For a discussion of particular move orders see either Nunn's latest
book "The Ultimate Pirc" or the Chernin/Alburt book "Pirc Alert".
Nunn is more thorough in the variations, Cenernin/Alburt give a better
explanation of the ideas & plans for Balck and White.

I have only played the PIrc from either side a few times. However,
Randy Bauer a frequent contributor to rec.games.chess.analysis has
played the Pirc as Black for years so he could offer better ways to
play the variation as black.

Mike Ogush

My opinions, well I started playing it, by analogy with the Yugoslav
attack in the sicilian dragon, well before my grade got to 150 so I
suppose it is "overrated" ;-)

Alas my grade never got to much more than 150, so any other opinions
probably aren't worth much.

Old August 9th 03, 04:33 AM
Angelo DePalma

Mike: Nice analysis. Your Q-side nightmare scenario actually happened to me
2 weeks ago at our club. I played Be3 to defend e4 after he played ...c6 and
....b5. I didn't know what hit me. By move 25 I was crushed but my opponent
blundered in time trouble and handed me the full point. Between Alburt's and
Nunn's book the Pirc, which in my youth I always thought of as a garbage
opening (that tells you how much I know/knew about openings!), is now a
bookup favorite.

My suggestion against Pirc players is to open 1. b3. That'll teach 'em.

Angelo DePalma