Deep Sjeng Opteron Performance Result

Old August 6th 03, 11:43 PM
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Default Deep Sjeng Opteron Performance Result

I had the opportunity to run some tests on an AMD Opteron machine,
and benchmarked Deep Sjeng on it, compared to the AMD Athlon XP,
and compared to the Intel Pentium 4.

The Opteron is 205% faster than the Intel P4, clock for clock.
The Opteron is 70% faster than the Athlon XP, clock for clock.

It runs Deep Sjeng faster than a (nonexisting) 3.3Ghz
Pentium 4 would.
An 1.6Ghz Opteron runs Deep Sjeng faster than a (nonexisting) 2.7Ghz
Athlon XP would.

Operating system was Linux 2.4.19, SuSE 8.0 Opteron version.
I compiled with GCC 3.2.2, pure (portable) C source.

The reference was a MSVC6 SP5 with Processor Pack compile, with
optimized parameters, and with optimized assembly language for
most move generators and some other functions. (The fastest IA32
binary I have), running on an Athlon XP of the same clockspeed.

--
GCP

Old August 7th 03, 04:37 AM
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

The Opteron is 205% faster than the Intel P4, clock for clock.

That's 105%, not 205%, sorry. It's twice as fast, not thrice as fast

--
GCP

Old August 8th 03, 06:54 AM
Russell Reagan

"Andrew Kaniak" wrote

Is there a chance to run test for let's say Deep Fritz 7 or Shredder 8 ???

That would require a re-compile, and I'm pretty sure that GCP doesn't have
the source code to either of these.