New to CA Light

Old August 7th 03, 05:52 PM
Muggs

Default New to CA Light

Hello All,

I just downloaded Chess Assistant Light, and I can do a full game analysis
on my games with that, and I seem to like it better than CB light. NO flames
please as I
don't know that much about chess analysis software. I'm a woodpusher 1st
class (1100?) and I thought that I would start to record all my games and
I'm finding out loads that I didn't know.

When I analyze my games in CA light, it gives me an absolute number, and I'm
assuming from what I've read that a + score is good for White and a - score
is good for Black.
That's all very enlightening, but is there a way to get some sort of graph
showing the roller coaster ride that I call a chess game?

TIA,
Muggs

Old August 7th 03, 09:10 PM
Robert Pawlak

That's all very enlightening, but is there a way to get some sort of graph
showing the roller coaster ride that I call a chess game?

Yes there is a way, at least with CA 7, but it only works with certain analysis
modes. However, this particular feature is on the list of things to be
implemented at a future point (whether it will come in a future build of CA
7.1, or CA 8, I do not know).

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old August 8th 03, 12:31 AM
Jim Roe

While I am a great fan of CA7.1 Fritz 8 does a better job in
analyzing your games. By better I mean in its presentation
of the analysis.
Analysis, including English comments, references to relevant games
in its database, and graphing the move-by-move evaluation.
See ChesBase Cafe 7/16/2003, Mig Greengard's article
"The Fritz Fairy analyzes and annotates while you sleep.

Jim

Old August 8th 03, 12:57 AM
Greg Teets

Can you get English Comments in CA 6.1 Light?

Thanks.

Old August 8th 03, 09:51 AM
Odd Gunnar Malin

"Jim Roe" skrev i melding
.. .
While I am a great fan of CA7.1 Fritz 8 does a better job in
analyzing your games. By better I mean in its presentation
of the analysis.
Analysis, including English comments, references to relevant games
in its database, and graphing the move-by-move evaluation.
See ChesBase Cafe 7/16/2003, Mig Greengard's article
"The Fritz Fairy analyzes and annotates while you sleep.

Jim

There isn't any English commentaty in CA but references to game exist plus
that it would add real GM evaluation to the opening stage.

But all this is fine, but have you asked what your needs are first?
I don't think it is a good idea to start analysing your own game with these
automatic things, these games should be analysed with your carbon computer.

I can only think of a few places where you need this:
1. Going throug a tournament for adding diagrams before you put the game in
a buletin (timepresure, it should be out before the players leave).
2. You find in your game that you where 'out of book' and collect some games
with the move of your opponent. A fast blundercheck of these games to make
the collection smaller and more credible could be done.
3. You prepare a surprice, novelity, in the opening and check if you miss
something.

A simple 'blundecheck' could do the two first points. The third need manual
analyses with a digital watcher. Here I see that both CA and Fritz have come
up with an analyse helper to get some more ideas on a position.

I have a fourth need that is somewhat special.
4. Blundercheck games which includes variation for only one side at a time.

This latest is only possible (with easy) in Fritz.

Odd Gunnar

Old August 9th 03, 02:51 AM
Robert Pawlak

analyzing your games. By better I mean in its presentation
of the analysis.
Analysis, including English comments, references to relevant games
in its database, and graphing the move-by-move evaluation.

I agree that the presentation of the material is slightly better. But, I think
that you need to look at CA's interactive analysis, which provides something
that is very similar to the way Fritz presents its analysis.

I agree that there is no "English" commentary. While this is a nice "Gee wiz"
feature, it is not useful for many players. The comments tend to be quite
obvious (even more so in Chessmaster). But I will allow for the fact that some
people like this feature.

There isn't any English commentaty in CA but references to game exist plus
that it would add real GM evaluation to the opening stage.

But all this is fine, but have you asked what your needs are first?
I don't think it is a good idea to start analysing your own game with these
automatic things, these games should be analysed with your carbon computer.

I agree with Gunnar on this. It is too easy to let the machine do one's
thinking. There are analysis modes within CA that encourage the user to think
for him/herself, and have the computer check his/her results.

Incidentally, there is an article on www.chessassistance.com concerning the use
of CA for game analysis.