pocket fritz 2.0

Old August 8th 03, 10:47 PM
Iain Gourlay

Default pocket fritz 2.0

Hi,

Does anyone have a reasonable estimate of the playing strength of this
thing? I've surfed the web and can only find an unsubstantiated quote
estimating its blitz rating at 2450, which is not very revealing! I'm
interested in whether I will find it useful as an analysis tool when i cant
be bothered to switch on ;-) or dont have access to my pc or laptop. I am a
2300 player (2326 national, 2284 fide) and would be really happy if it is
much stronger than me but not too keen on buying if it isn't!

Thanks in advance
Iain
P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed already, I don't usually follow this
newsgroup.

Old August 8th 03, 11:51 PM
Sam Stark

My previous post from Jan2003.

Note I stand by the estimate of 2200-2300 below. I have not nor do I know
of any tournament matches to rate it.

If anyone is interested I thought I would share my experience with portable
computer chess. Forgive the rambling but here is a stream of consciousness.
I've played computer chess sporadically over the years. It's more
convenient and I have more free time away from a desktop. I've never found
a laptop really effective and since I rarely travel I never bothered with
one. I used to use a Saitek Cavalier since 1989. It still works which is
surprising but it plays poorly- I'd say 1500 to 1600 at 40 moves /80
minutes. I splurged after doing some research and went for a PDA which is
really devoted to nothing but chess. I've found that pen and paper and cell
phone really takes care of all the PDA PIM functions. I tried an HP LX100
a dozen years ago as a PIM and gave up on PDA's then. For chess I decided
on a PocketPC instead of a Palm. The hardware is more capable, cheaper and
the Chess software more varied. I bought an HP Ipaq 1910 at Office Depot
for $250 with coupon. It's a stripped down Ipaq, no wifi. Display is
great, absolutely gorgeous, smaller than a pack of cigarettes ( half the
size), connection to PC is very easy and all games played on the PocketPC
can be downloaded to desktop. The software is surprisingly diverse. Pocket
Fritz2 is really slick and plays well-$50. Pocket Grandmaster 2, $20, is
truly excellent. The interface is as slick as Fritz but you can use
alternative engines 3 in all, Gromit, Ruffian and SOS. They are remarkably
different. Pocket Crafty, free, is equally strong but the user interface
poor. I can play chess using any of the 3. I also bought an 128 meg SD
card, $30 with coupon at Costco, and downloaded enormous game databases.
The Pocket Grandmaster2 database interface is clearly better than Fritz. As
to playing strength, I play only at 40/80, I would almost equally match the
Gromit engine with Fritz (really Shredder I believe) but all of them are
surprisingly strong. Next in strength Crafty then Ruffian and then SOS;
these ratings are anecdotal. If I had to buy only one Chess program it
would be Pocket Grandmaster2-note its bought on-line via download. None in
strength match a desktop. If I had to rate them like SSDF, again
anecdotally, on a relative basis compared to games I've played 40/80 on the
desktop using Crafty, CM etc I'd say 200-300 points lower so say 2200-2300.
I'd be curious to hear from anyone on their perceived or scientific ratings
of these pocket chess programs. Overall delighted with the PocketPC
approach to chess. Only drawback is the battery lasts about 5 hours and
that's with not toning down the chess program at all, e.g. pondering on.
Note that model 1910 has replaceable batteries. Again, I have no financial
or other interest in any of the above vendors, I just wanted to share with
other members of the newsgroup my experience to assist them in evaluating
any future purchase.

"Iain Gourlay" wrote in message
I should mention the processor speed is 300MHz and 64MB memory if that
helps?!

Old August 9th 03, 03:56 AM
Robert Pawlak

There is a review of Pocket Fritz 2.0 on www.chessreviews.com.

I don't think there is a stronger engine available at this point in time, but I
don't think that you will find it to be a super challenging opponent.

My advice to you is to get CEBoard, which is a good program for annotating
one's games (however, it has no chess engine). Then consider getting PF 2.0,
simply because it is the strongest program available at the moment. At the very
least, it will provide you with some ideas when you get stuck in your analysis.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old August 9th 03, 05:33 PM
Sam Stark

The review, although informative, is old from Jan'2003 and doesn't attempt
to assess its playing strength. I would be interested in someone running
tournaments of pocket PC and Palm engines vs. PC engines to come up with
ratings.

Old August 10th 03, 01:39 AM
Iain Gourlay

"Iain Gourlay" wrote in message
Thanks for the responses :-) I had a look at the website, its got some

good
reviews, cheers
Iain

I found this link by doing a google search:

perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/peter/pocketfritz.htm

I think its referring to the first version. Its in German (which I don't
understand) but google does an adequate translation. Anyway, the program
seemed to perform quite well e.g. in rapidplay against a 2390 FM.
I decided to buy it anyway cos i think it will be fun to play with :-)

Old August 10th 03, 01:44 AM
Robert Pawlak

The review, although informative, is old from Jan'2003 and doesn't attempt

While there are a few new engines available since that time, none can compete,
at least in terms of playing strength, with PF 2.0.

Old August 10th 03, 05:26 AM
mondo

Iain Gourlay wrote:
"Iain Gourlay" wrote in message

Thanks for the responses :-) I had a look at the website, its got some

good

reviews, cheers
Iain

I found this link by doing a google search:

perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/peter/pocketfritz.htm

I think its referring to the first version. Its in German (which I don't
understand) but google does an adequate translation. Anyway, the program
seemed to perform quite well e.g. in rapidplay against a 2390 FM.
I decided to buy it anyway cos i think it will be fun to play with :-)

Heh, that is French not German. The .fr refers to France.

Old August 10th 03, 01:36 PM
Patrick

mondo wrote in news:eXiZa.687415$ro6.14239956
@news2.calgary.shaw.ca:

perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/peter/pocketfritz.htm

Hi,

Your right is a translation. I have permission by Peter Schreiner to
translate in French.

Original in German:
http://www.schachvereine.de/scleinze...z_pocket.shtml

but look also here

http://www.schachvereine.de/scleinze..._pocket2.shtml

--
Patrick

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/
Old August 12th 03, 11:56 PM
Robert Pawlak

If pocket crafty were stable, it would not be as strong as PF 2.0.