Chess software - why can't I download? This is 2003!

Old August 11th 03, 06:33 AM
Anthony PDC

Default Chess software - why can't I download? This is 2003!

Hallo,

I have tried many sites with my credit card in hand to download
programs like Fritz and Shredder, only to discover that they are not
downloadable. This SUCKS! No way do I feel like waiting till the
bloody CDs arrive, AND with shipping costs and all! What's the PROBLEM
here?

The purveyors of these programs are losing business big time - and
encouraging piracy.

Frustrated.

Anthony
Anthony

Win XP Pro/Asus P4S533
Old August 11th 03, 09:23 AM
Jim Roe

Two good reasons:

The programs are huge, far to large to download, and
ever hear of software protection? Periodically you are required
to insert your CD to prove that you have a valid copy.

In chess, as in life, you must learn patience.

Old August 11th 03, 02:23 PM
Countrywide Computers

In article , Anthony PDC
[email protected]?.? writes
Hallo,

I have tried many sites with my credit card in hand to download
programs like Fritz and Shredder, only to discover that they are not
downloadable. This SUCKS! No way do I feel like waiting till the
bloody CDs arrive, AND with shipping costs and all! What's the PROBLEM
here?

The purveyors of these programs are losing business big time - and
encouraging piracy.

Frustrated.

Anthony
Anthony

Win XP Pro/Asus P4S533

As an example the Fritz8 CD contains 496MB - most people would rather
wait for the CD to arrive!
--
Eric Hallsworth for Countrywide Computers Ltd
Victoria House, 1 High Street, Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RB, U.K.
Old August 11th 03, 03:51 PM
CeeBee

Anthony PDC antdeclan_at_hotmail_dot_com wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

The purveyors of these programs are losing business big time - and
encouraging piracy.

And having their programs available for download would prevent that?

Remember you're just _frustrated_, not simpleminded.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 11th 03, 08:38 PM
Mario

I agree with you, Anthony.

Large size?
The download size is no excuse, especially when you only want a new chess
engine (less than 1 MB).
Even if it was necessary to download 2 full uncompressed Cds, its *our*
choice. Besides, that amount of data is about 2-3 hours downloading on my
connection. Not anybody still stuck with 56Kbps crap!

Copyright protection?
Jesus... stone age protection... they dont know Astalavista, or are kidding
with us?
Inserting the CD periodically? No one else uses that! The CD is required
always or never. Someone had that idea when drunk at late hours at
chessbase.

Piracy?
Go for it... they are calling it. Go to Kazaa and search for "Fritz 7".
There is a zip about 35 MBs, easy to download. Then search for engines
packs. You will find it all, Fritz 8, Shredder, Nimzo, etc.. These engines
will work on Fritz 7 interface. A no Cd crack is included. If you dont have
openings book and database, its there too.

Everyone is selling software subscriptions for download; Macromedia,
Microsoft MSDN, etc, etc.. Why chessbase thinks it's so special?
If we say we want to download and they refuse its their problem... we get
the program the same... easy.

Regards,
Mario

Old August 12th 03, 04:10 AM
Anthony PDC

On 12 Aug 2003 00:37:47 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

"Mario" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Everyone is selling software subscriptions for download; Macromedia,
Microsoft MSDN, etc, etc.. Why chessbase thinks it's so special?
If we say we want to download and they refuse its their problem... we
get the program the same... easy.

So if you can't buy it the way you want it, it's okay to steal it.
Ah , so _that's_ the meaning of "this is 2003".

Nope, Ceebee - unless everyone has lost their marketing/business
marbles (if they ever possessed said skills) or have been hiding in a
box for the past ten years. Consumers *should* be given the choice of
"buying it the way they want it" - blimey!

And it's a Company's commercial duty to meet demand from consumers
(unless they want to continue coasting along in total ignorance or
prejudice about all things "online" - or go bankrupt soon). I just
don't know where some people have been in all this time that they have
failed to adjust to the idea of online shopping - to grasp its
potential.

My post certainly wasn't a troll. But in the gentlest, most respectful
way possible, my advice for all the Luddites or ostriches out there is
to recruit the services of someone who knows something about online
business. And hopefully, the (no doubt considerable) increase in
revenue generated by making such software downloadable will benefit
everyone.

As for security, I would point you all, again gently, to the practices
- adopted years ago - of any software vendor worth that name.

Regards,

Anthony

PS I want to pay for and download Shredder and Fritz 8 and lots of
other stuff currently denied me before the Sun is up. And I find I
can't. My motives aren't the issue here - I am a customer with a
credit card

Anthony

Win XP Pro/Asus P4S533
Old August 12th 03, 04:25 AM
Anthony PDC

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:23:59 -0400, "Jim Roe"
wrote:

Two good reasons:

The programs are huge, far to large to download, and
ever hear of software protection? Periodically you are required
to insert your CD to prove that you have a valid copy.

In chess, as in life, you must learn patience

And you, my (possibly) smug friend, must learn:

a) about broadband

b) about software protection options - currently adopted by any
self-respecting vendor

c) how to run a business

With the greatest respect, I'd suggest you get up-to-date before
posting - it merely betrays ignorance, not sagacity.

Regards,

Anthony

Win XP Pro/Asus P4S533
Old August 12th 03, 05:06 AM
CeeBee

Anthony PDC antdeclan_at_hotmail_dot_com wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

On 12 Aug 2003 00:37:47 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

"Mario" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Everyone is selling software subscriptions for download; Macromedia,
Microsoft MSDN, etc, etc.. Why chessbase thinks it's so special?
If we say we want to download and they refuse its their problem... we
get the program the same... easy.

So if you can't buy it the way you want it, it's okay to steal it.
Ah , so _that's_ the meaning of "this is 2003".

snip

PS I want to pay for and download Shredder and Fritz 8 and lots of
other stuff currently denied me before the Sun is up. And I find I
can't. My motives aren't the issue here - I am a customer with a
credit card

Just to let you that I didn't react on _your_ statement, but on Mario's
statement. I told him that not having it the way one wants it is no excuse
for criminal behaviour.

You only stated that selling with online downloads prevented piracy, which
I ..... duh..... doubted But your complaint was the only decent
reaction: if I can't have it the way I want to have it, they can _keep_ it.

Old August 12th 03, 05:14 AM
CeeBee

Anthony PDC antdeclan_at_hotmail_dot_com wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Really? And upon what evidence did you base that presumption?

Like many people in the year 2003, I have broadband and can get 500Mb
of data before I get to the end of dinner.
Anthony

If we restrict it to the US: In the US 1/3rd of all Internet users had
access to broadband in 2002. Roughly half of them have broadband available
at home, the rest only at work. So it's about say 15-18% of all US internet
users who can download high speed from home. And depending how the boss
likes it, the rest can do it in their boss's time.