Nalimov TBS stange beahviour

Old August 11th 03, 01:46 PM
JMR

Default Nalimov TBS stange beahviour

This is a study of Kling 1867
8/KP1n4/2k5/8/5N2/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

White have King, Knight and Pawn
Black have King and Knight

I have downloaded the following TBS :
KQN-KN
KRN-KN
KBN-KN
KNN-KN
KNP-KN
This makes 10 files.

Fritz or chessbase uses these TBS as it always annouce 0.00 or mate in XX
moves without thinking.
But what is said is totally erratic.
For example it annouces mate in 24 but after this move it annouces 0.00 !!!

Maybe I have to reload the TBS but if somebody have these TBS I would be
pleased to know the behaviour of the position before doing it

Thanks

JMR

Old August 11th 03, 02:49 PM
CeeBee

"JMR" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

This is a study of Kling 1867
8/KP1n4/2k5/8/5N2/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

White have King, Knight and Pawn
Black have King and Knight

I have downloaded the following TBS :
KQN-KN
KRN-KN
KBN-KN
KNN-KN
KNP-KN
This makes 10 files.

Fritz or chessbase uses these TBS as it always annouce 0.00 or mate in
XX moves without thinking.
But what is said is totally erratic.
For example it annouces mate in 24 but after this move it annouces
0.00 !!!

Maybe I have to reload the TBS but if somebody have these TBS I would
be pleased to know the behaviour of the position before doing it

Just a thought:

Are these the only tablebase files that you downloaded? If so, you
should also download the resulting four and three men TB's like KQ-KN or
KN-KN and KQ-K to get some proper results.

In fact, if you use five men tablebases, be sure to have all 3 and 4
men, a mere 30Mb of space.

A TB solution:

1.Nh5 Kc5 2.Ka8 Nb6+ 3.Kb8 Nd5 4.Kc8 Ne7+ 5.Kc7 Nc6 6.Nf4 Nb4 7.Nd3+
Nxd3 8.b8Q Kc4 9.Qd8 Nb4 10.Kd6 Kd4 11.Qb6+ Kc4 12.Qc5+ Kb3 13.Qd4 Nc2
14.Qd3+ Kb2 15.Ke5 Ne1 16.Qd4+ Kc1 17.Ke4 Nc2 18.Qf2 Kd1 19.Kd3 Nb4+
20.Kc4 Na2 21.Qxa2 Ke1 22.Qg2 Kd1 23.Kd3 Kc1 24.Qc2#

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 11th 03, 04:23 PM
Robert Hyatt

JMR wrote:
This is a study of Kling 1867
8/KP1n4/2k5/8/5N2/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

White have King, Knight and Pawn
Black have King and Knight

I have downloaded the following TBS :
KQN-KN
KRN-KN
KBN-KN
KNN-KN
KNP-KN
This makes 10 files.

Fritz or chessbase uses these TBS as it always annouce 0.00 or mate in XX
moves without thinking.
But what is said is totally erratic.
For example it annouces mate in 24 but after this move it annouces 0.00 !!!

I am not sure what you mean. If by "this move" you mean the move
actually played in the game, then the 0.00 means that move was a
mistake. If you mean by "this move" you played the move expected by
the table, then there is some sort of bug. If you can supply the position
and "the move" I can certainly check the tables before and after to see
what is going on.

Maybe I have to reload the TBS but if somebody have these TBS I would be
pleased to know the behaviour of the position before doing it

Thanks

JMR

--
Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Old August 11th 03, 07:05 PM
JMR

I have reloaded all the 4 pieces tables and the 10 files 5-pieces concerned.
And now all works fine o)

What surprised me is the erratic behaviour if one table is missing. I would
have think Fritz would think by himself then.

Thanks

(The behaviour was announcing mate in 24, and when I press the spacebar to
play this move the computer announce 0.00 and so on in an erratic way)

"Robert Hyatt" a écrit dans le message de
JMR wrote:
This is a study of Kling 1867
8/KP1n4/2k5/8/5N2/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

White have King, Knight and Pawn
Black have King and Knight

I have downloaded the following TBS :
KQN-KN
KRN-KN
KBN-KN
KNN-KN
KNP-KN
This makes 10 files.

Fritz or chessbase uses these TBS as it always annouce 0.00 or mate in

XX
moves without thinking.
But what is said is totally erratic.
For example it annouces mate in 24 but after this move it annouces 0.00

!!!

Old August 11th 03, 09:21 PM
Liam Too

CeeBee wrote in message .6.67...

In fact, if you use five men tablebases, be sure to have all 3 and 4

men, a mere 30Mb of space. --CeeBee

After a month or so, not everyday though, I was able to download the 3, 4,
and 5-man Nalinov. I remember you saying the following:

"Add something like this manually with a text editor:

[Tablebase]
Path=X:\Tbs
CacheSizeKB=16384"

Will this still true since the 5-man alone is 7.03 GB?

Thanks, Lance
Old August 11th 03, 11:04 PM
CeeBee

"JMR" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

I have reloaded all the 4 pieces tables and the 10 files 5-pieces
concerned. And now all works fine o)

What surprised me is the erratic behaviour if one table is missing. I
would have think Fritz would think by himself then.

Wilhelm:

http://www.geocities.com/rba_schach2000/

has an integrity checker and also shows you installed TB's.

And you can play chess against it too

Old August 12th 03, 12:47 AM
JMR

Thanks for your answer.
With your program I have checked the integrity of all my TBS ans found
(KPP-KP) one "defective" (KPP-KP-black). I reloaded it and then all are ok..
It's a useful tool

. 84...

Old August 12th 03, 01:23 AM
CeeBee

"JMR" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Thanks for your answer.
With your program

Just for the record, before this goes into Usenet history, the program is
written by Rafael Andrist

.I have checked the integrity of all my TBS ans found
(KPP-KP) one "defective" (KPP-KP-black). I reloaded it and then all
are ok.. It's a useful tool

Sometimes I'm a useful fool.

Old August 12th 03, 02:19 PM
Liam Too

CeeBee wrote in message .6.84...

I think 16Mb for caching during a search is enough. It doesn't load the
complete database file, just caches the search probes/results to avoid
unnecessary disk swapping.

If you want to do a database analysis you could set the cache size as big
as you're able to. The program Wilhelm by Rafael Andrist is a nice utility
for tablebase use as well: from probing to very valuable and simple
integrity checking without command prompt checksum hassle. Here you can set
a separate cache for searching and for database analysis.

http://www.geocities.com/rba_schach2000/

Thanks Ceebee, I really appreciate it very much.

Lance