Fritz8 crashes WindowsXP. Help wanted please.

Old August 13th 03, 03:09 AM
Denis Kholodar

Default Fritz8 crashes WindowsXP. Help wanted please.

Hello,

I bought Fritz8 and ChessBase. I only installed the Fritz8 copy and
decided to play a few blitz games. My new laptop, which otherwise
works fine turned itself off every time I tried (about 7 times during
a few days). I did search this news group, but I didn't find any tips
on what I can try. If you encountered a similar problem and/or know
how to solve it, please share your knowledge with me.

Thank you very much.
Denis
Old August 15th 03, 03:27 PM
Olafur

On 14 Aug 2003 07:45:46 -0700, (Denis Kholodar) wrote:

Are you using windows XP?

I do not belive this has anything to do with WIN XP. I suspect you
have a bad memory chip. Fritz and a lot of other chess programs uses
memory more than most other programs. Try to set hash memory very low
and F8 may work better..

I am as the subject line says.

I am not sue if Fritz 8 is compatible with
older versions of Windows. Make sure that you are not trying to go play
online if you are not connected.

I am not trying to play on line when this happenes.

Try turning off any resident programs that you have running in the

I don't run any other programs (except for those that the Windows
intself runs) when this happenes.

background. Make sure that you don't have the new virus that turns
computers off (if its only Fritz, it's probbly not the case). Connect to
the Chessbase site with Fritz (assuming you can connect to the internet)
and click on the update in the menu.

I looked at that - it (chessbase site when connected thru fritz8) told
me that my program is up to date.

If all else fails, send an email to chessbase and ask for assistance.

No reply so far from them.

I have more details though. When I monitor the CPU usage when playing
those blitz games, I noticed that before crushing on my computer,
Fritz8 uses 100% of the CPU for a while (say for a few moves some 5-15
sec on a move). So I brought the program to work and installed it on
another WindowsXP machine. There for the first time I was able to
finish a game, which went on to about 35 moves, while on my personal
laptop it would crush around moves 15-20. Moreover the CPU usage on
the machine at work was oscillating during the whole game and never
stayed steady at 100% for too long as it does on my personal laptop.
So does it sound like maybe I can adjust something on my laptop?
Anybody knows what?

Thank you.
Denis

Old August 16th 03, 09:29 AM
Denis Kholodar

Olafur wrote in message memory more than most other programs. Try to set hash memory very low
and F8 may work better..

Olafur,

I found the link about hash memory, so please disregard my request in
the previous post.
Thank you very much.
I'll give it a try tomorrow!
Denis
Old August 18th 03, 06:54 AM
Denis Kholodar

I read the info about the hash table - for a blitz game it should be
way lower than the setting was, so I calculated what it should be a
did a few tries with lower values (around 32MB). It didn't help - same
story: 100 CPU % usage around move 15, sound of a fan working and a
crash.

Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Denis

Old August 24th 03, 05:34 PM
Betsy Schwartz

Poke around on the 'net and find a program to exercise all the memory
in your computer. One that I haven't tested is he
http://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/

If you have a bad memory chip, working around it isn't the right
answer, fixing the computer is. There's pretty much no way to
guarantee that your memory won't get used by *something*.

Old August 25th 03, 05:00 AM
GreyHipster

I have seen quite a few PC games, (not chess), where it states on the
CD-ROM case: "not recommended for laptops," or "may not run on
laptops," etc. I don't know why....warm regards, grey_hipster

Old August 25th 03, 08:29 PM
Kerry Liles

More than likely Fritz is running the CPU at max and causing overheating
problems... look into alternative cooling solutions for laptops (especially
for whatever model you own)... Check your laptop bios settings to make sure
it is running at correct speed etc (not overclocked etc).

hth

"Fn39k" wrote in message
it looks like the best you can do is return the laptop wherever you

brought it
and keep the Fritz 8 software.

*genius can sometime be a x-factor !?