Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess CD

Old August 17th 03, 07:42 AM
Art Lane

Default Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess CD

I came across this game at a local used computer dealer. It is dated 1994,
and comes on CD. The back of the package mentions BOOKUP.

Anyone still have this laying around? Any opinions on it? I did not purchase
it (yet). I've got Fritz 8 and CM7000/5500, as well as a bunch of freeware
engines, so I suspect a nearly 10-year old chess engine won't compare
favourably, but was wondering if anyone could recommend other features of
the CD making it a worthwhile purchase.

Thanks!

Old August 17th 03, 10:38 AM
Gunny Bunny

It is DOS, but I liked it. I think it uses the Dragon engine.

BF did not endorse the product and received no money for it. He requested
publicly that no one buy it.

I had already purchased it. I gave it to the library many years ago, when
it was replaced by higher quality games like Chessbase and ChessMaster. Buy
these programs instead.

Old August 17th 03, 12:09 PM
Mike Leahy

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
It is DOS, but I liked it. I think it uses the Dragon engine.

Chess Genius, actually.

BF did not endorse the product and received no money for it. He requested
publicly that no one buy it.

His checks were cut and cashed. He definitely had differences with
the folks who had licensed his material and he took it out on us (Bookup)
and others more than once.

He wasn't cheap either. That's why it stayed a DOS product after many
successful Christmas seasons even after Window 95 came out.

"Art Lane" wrote in message
I came across this game at a local used computer dealer. It is dated

1994,
and comes on CD. The back of the package mentions BOOKUP.

Anyone still have this laying around? Any opinions on it? I did not

purchase
it (yet). I've got Fritz 8 and CM7000/5500, as well as a bunch of

freeware
engines, so I suspect a nearly 10-year old chess engine won't compare
favourably, but was wondering if anyone could recommend other features

of
the CD making it a worthwhile purchase.

Thanks!

It won't run well with modern versions of Windows. Unless you have
a machine running an older version of DOS I'd recommend something
else.

I loved making that product though!

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old August 17th 03, 10:03 PM
[email protected]

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 01:42:41 -0400, "Art Lane"
wrote:

Anyone still have this laying around? Any opinions on it? I did not purchase
it (yet). I've got Fritz 8 and CM7000/5500, as well as a bunch of freeware

It is geared towards beginners. The photos are worth the price
alone.

engines, so I suspect a nearly 10-year old chess engine won't compare
favourably, but was wondering if anyone could recommend other features of
the CD making it a worthwhile purchase.

It is weaker version of Chess Genius, and it can play exactly
like a beginner. It will be up a rook and then forget its queen and
lose the game. I have never seen any other program that makes
beginners' mistake on the opening and lose. I would highly recommend
it.

The program is not as strong as today's ChessBase programs or
Rebel.
Old August 19th 03, 01:46 AM
Mike Leahy

wrote in message

It is weaker version of Chess Genius, and it can play exactly
like a beginner. It will be up a rook and then forget its queen and
lose the game. I have never seen any other program that makes
beginners' mistake on the opening and lose. I would highly recommend
it.

We worked very hard to find a way to make the engine play a truly
weak but believable game for beginners. Thanks.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old August 19th 03, 03:08 AM
Nonyz

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message news:dY50b.235600
I can tell you for sure BF stated in his infamous radio interviews that he
did not give permission for BF teaches chess to use his name and he claims
he was never paid for the usage of his names.

It's not the first time a celebrity was exploited by a bunch of slimy
scamsters... poor Bobby, seems like he didn't stand a chance against
these greaseballs.

Did you know... Mike Leahy of Bookup (one of the parties on the other
side of this scandal) keeps mailing you unwanted information about his
products even after you unsubscribe from his mailing list. Someone
else pointed this out on this newsgroup a few days back. Why do that
Mike? Is it not clear to you that people who unsubscribe from your
mailing list are not interested in hearing from you again?
Old August 19th 03, 06:55 PM
Mike Leahy

"Nonyz" wrote in message
om...

Did you know... Mike Leahy of Bookup (one of the parties on the other
side of this scandal) keeps mailing you unwanted information about his
products even after you unsubscribe from his mailing list.

Folks who unsubscribe from my mailing list definitely do not
receive further emails from me, and they still get to keep the
software at no charge.

I appreciate your continuing to anonymously accuse me of such
things though. Registrations go up slightly each time you do, and
they mention you as the referrer. You'll only keep doing it if
you have an audience, and my system confirms that you do.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old August 19th 03, 11:09 PM
Nonyz

"Mike Leahy" wrote in message
Folks who unsubscribe from my mailing list definitely do not
receive further emails from me,

There's nothing definite about this - as I said, somebody other than
myself has attested that you are capable of this. I didn't really
expect you to answer that in a responsible way, just to deny
everything anyone says... well done!

and they still get to keep the software at no charge.

Well that's not saying much coz your software isn't worth much anyway
- there are superior (free) alternatives available for anyone who
bothers to look beyond your sales talk.

I appreciate your continuing to anonymously accuse me of such
things though. Registrations go up slightly each time you do, and
they mention you as the referrer. You'll only keep doing it if
you have an audience, and my system confirms that you do.

This is an old card that you've tried to play before, it didn't work
then and it's not working now. The fact that you're saying this again
only proves your thickheadedness. If you were a smart man you wouldn't
have to resort to exploiting celebrities, blatantly pimping your
software on newsgroups and selling your customers' email addresses in
order to make a living.

I hape a copy of Bookup Light BTW, I fire it up everytime I need a
good laugh!