tablebases

Old August 19th 03, 06:24 PM
Leonardo Ljubicic

Default tablebases

Hi,

I'm using Schredder7 and am wondering how to activate the tablebases that
came on the CD with the program? Probably there's a some kind of setup, then
you have to tell the program where they are?! Anyone have a couple of
minutes to explain? Thanks.

Leonardo

Old August 19th 03, 07:09 PM
CeeBee

"Leonardo Ljubicic" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Hi,

I'm using Schredder7 and am wondering how to activate the tablebases
that came on the CD with the program? Probably there's a some kind of
setup, then you have to tell the program where they are?! Anyone have
a couple of minutes to explain? Thanks.

If there is a setup file, and you have the basic knowledge of PC's and
software no doubt you will find it. Maybe even instelling the program
there's an option to install them using "custom" setup.

If not, and there are just a lot of tablebase files in a tablebase
directory on the Shredder CD, it's easy to use them.

Just create a directory on your hard disk wherever you want it; copy the
files into that directory from the CD.

Now browse to your c:\windows directory and find the file
"Chssbase.ini".

Open it by doubleclikcing on it (or open it with a text editor) and add
a section with the lines:

[Tablebase]
Path=X:\Directory
CacheSizeKB=16384

and save it. The cachesize might vary, I think 16Mb is a nice value, but
4Mb will work also.

Now start Shredder, and click on the engine name box in the main engine
window. See if the option "use tablebases" is checked and if so, setup a
four piece ending, say king and rook versus king and pawn. The engine
should immediately give you a number of answers and the result.

I guess the CD only contains three- and four-men endgames, but correct
me if I'm wrong.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 20th 03, 11:34 AM
Leonardo Ljubicic

Thanks! Actually on the CD there are a lot of files like "kqkpnbw.emd" and a
tbgen.exe. I copied all the files on the hard disk, and started the tbgen,
only to find (it seems) I don't have enough disk place?! It seems that only
a couple of endgames take the whole of some 10 Gbs I have free?? Anyway,
Schredder recognized set up position and moved immediately.

Another question: when set to think infinitely, pressing "+" in the analysis
window gives also the main line of the move No. 2 by the strength, another
"+" gives the third and so on. My question is: does this also increases the
time to come to the certain point? Or, does pressing the "+" sign actally
slows down the engine in reaching the best result?

Thanks again!

Leonardo

. 6.67...

Old August 20th 03, 02:36 PM
CeeBee

"Leonardo Ljubicic" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Thanks! Actually on the CD there are a lot of files like "kqkpnbw.emd"
and a tbgen.exe. I copied all the files on the hard disk, and started
the tbgen, only to find (it seems) I don't have enough disk place?! It
seems that only a couple of endgames take the whole of some 10 Gbs I
have free?? Anyway, Schredder recognized set up position and moved
immediately.

the *.emd-files are the actual tablebases. The file tbgen.exe is a
tablenbase generator if you want to generate tablebases that are not
present on the CD due to a lack of space.

All 3-4-5 men tablebases are 290 files and make up a little above 7 Gb
of disk space. Generally that 7Gb is not the problem. What _is_ the
problem is the time involved to generate them (with enough available
memory), as it takes a lot of time.

If you have broadband availbale and want to get the remaining
tablebases, you can also download them, e.g. at
ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/
There's also a fast Dutch mirror, but I lost the URL.

Another question: when set to think infinitely, pressing "+" in the
analysis window gives also the main line of the move No. 2 by the
strength, another "+" gives the third and so on. My question is: does
this also increases the time to come to the certain point? Or, does
pressing the "+" sign actally slows down the engine in reaching the
best result?

It's only showing more candidate moves it already calculates, it doesn't
slow down the engine.

Old August 20th 03, 03:06 PM
Countrywide Computers

In article , CeeBee
writes
"Leonardo Ljubicic" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

[...]

I'm not sure if that's right, though CeeBee usually and helpfully is.

When you ask it to produce only the top move (as in an actual game,
looking just for the best move), it will be evaluated as precisely as
possible using search extensions etc. whereas the others can be
discarded as soon as they prove not to be as strong as the number 1.
Extensions would only be run fully on the later moves if they appear to
be genuine candidates for the top place!
But if you ask for 'top 2' then both the 1st and 2nd will be
checked with full extensions, which will take a little extra time. Also
there is more chance of moves lower down the list becoming candidates
as, now, whilst they might not be a candidate for top spot, they could
be for 2nd.
If you press '+' again and ask for top 3, it will slow down a
little more.

If you check this with Fritz, Junior, Shredder etc. I think it is found
that the more candidate moves you ask for, the slower they get through
the plies, though of course you sometimes get some useful extra
information!

Cheers... Eric
--
Eric Hallsworth for Countrywide Computers Ltd
Victoria House, 1 High Street, Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RB, U.K.
Old August 20th 03, 03:42 PM
CeeBee

Countrywide Computers wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

If you check this with Fritz, Junior, Shredder etc. I think it is found
that the more candidate moves you ask for, the slower they get through
the plies, though of course you sometimes get some useful extra
information!

I stand corrected, you are right. I assumed it just dumped extra info from
its calculation process, or from the hash tables. But the node count
indeed drops.

Old August 21st 03, 07:52 AM
Leonardo Ljubicic

If you check this with Fritz, Junior, Shredder etc. I think it is found
that the more candidate moves you ask for, the slower they get through
the plies, though of course you sometimes get some useful extra
information!

I stand corrected, you are right. I assumed it just dumped extra info from
its calculation process, or from the hash tables. But the node count
indeed drops.

--

Thanks to all of you, I think I have all the answers (for now :-))!

Leonardo

Old August 21st 03, 01:29 PM
Aaron

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
:

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
If you have broadband availbale and want to get the remaining
tablebases, you can also download them, e.g. at
ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/
There's also a fast Dutch mirror, but I lost the URL.

I was there a few weeks ago and they had been removed. However, there
is a link to them on Robert's website.

The one you are talking about is
s.tudelft.nl/Crafty/TB/ ? That one is still alive, or ??
Others

http://crafty.dsi.internet2.edu/
http://www.uib.no/people/pfvaf/chesslib/Nalimov.htm

Tom Veldhouse

Aaron
--
Want to learn how to use Winboard and the 150+ free Winboard
Chess engines?Visit http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/
Old August 23rd 03, 09:43 AM
Match (schaakcommissie) account

How can you forget a fast mirror? Well, OK I set up this mirror...

ftp://darkside.its-s.tudelft.nl/

The PGN-archive is still steadily growing, but some help won't be
rejected!
Other requests are more than welcome as well!

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

. 6.84...

Old August 23rd 03, 09:48 AM
Match (schaakcommissie) account

The one you are talking about is
s.tudelft.nl/Crafty/TB/ ? That one is still alive, or ??

Aaron
--
Want to learn how to use Winboard and the 150+ free Winboard
Chess engines?Visit
http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/

And it WILL stay alive! I heared that another 200 GB will become
available, so my ftp-site will grow with that amount of data as well! This
site will not go down for at least a year, and probably for at least 5
years to come! Maybe even longer...

Renze