Shredder 7 and Hyperthreading on P4

Old August 19th 03, 09:41 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default Shredder 7 and Hyperthreading on P4

Will Shredder 7 take advantage of hyperthreading on enabled Pentium 4
systems? How about the tripple brain function, will it use hyperthreading?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Veldhouse

Old August 19th 03, 09:59 PM
CeeBee

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Will Shredder 7 take advantage of hyperthreading on enabled Pentium 4
systems? How about the tripple brain function, will it use
hyperthreading?

Thanks in advance,

I have been told even Windows own notepad takes advantage from
hyperthreading, and Shredder will do that also.

AFAIK the "endgame oracle" is just a database search function, and not
strictly an engine function, so if you're referring to multiprocessor
capability of the engine on a P4 hyperthreading I don't think it will gain
much advantage. A fast HD or a fast HD controller will be more important I
guess.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 19th 03, 10:09 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
I have been told even Windows own notepad takes advantage from
hyperthreading, and Shredder will do that also.

AFAIK the "endgame oracle" is just a database search function, and not
strictly an engine function, so if you're referring to multiprocessor
capability of the engine on a P4 hyperthreading I don't think it will gain
much advantage. A fast HD or a fast HD controller will be more important I
guess.

Actually, I was referring to tripple brain. The ability of Shredder to use
different engines and compare the results during analysis (or play?).
Thanks though, you answered my question about Shredder and HT.

Tom Veldhouse

Old August 19th 03, 10:30 PM
CeeBee

CeeBee wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

I have been told even Windows own notepad takes advantage from
hyperthreading, and Shredder will do that also.

AFAIK the "endgame oracle" is just a database search function, and not
strictly an engine function, so if you're referring to multiprocessor
capability of the engine on a P4 hyperthreading I don't think it will
gain much advantage. A fast HD or a fast HD controller will be more
important I guess.

Oops - I'm sorry - I mixed it up with "endgame oracle" .... duh....

If every engine of the triple brain has multiprocessor capability, all will
use it, as will they use hyperthreading.

Old August 20th 03, 03:09 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.67...

Oops - I'm sorry - I mixed it up with "endgame oracle" .... duh....

If every engine of the triple brain has multiprocessor capability, all

will
use it, as will they use hyperthreading.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

I did some experimenting last night and did some engine matches using Fritz
8 and its GUI. The UI was not able to recoginize my dual CPU (logical via
hyperthreading). So, now I am little hesistant to believe that Shredder
will. I have not yet tried my Shredder 6 Classic UI to see what it knows.

Tom Veldhouse

Old August 20th 03, 05:18 PM
CeeBee

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

I did some experimenting last night and did some engine matches using
Fritz 8 and its GUI. The UI was not able to recoginize my dual CPU
(logical via hyperthreading). So, now I am little hesistant to
believe that Shredder will. I have not yet tried my Shredder 6
Classic UI to see what it knows.

Have you specified Shredder how many threads it should use? You have to
specify under engine options in the engine window how many threads it
should use. This goes the same for the classical GUI. If you let the value
to be 1, of course Shredder will use only one thread.

Old August 20th 03, 05:22 PM
CeeBee

CeeBee wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Have you specified Shredder how many threads it should use? You have
to specify under engine options in the engine window how many threads
it should use. This goes the same for the classical GUI. If you let
the value to be 1, of course Shredder will use only one thread.

More precisely: under ChessBase GUI you should set it under "engine
parameters" if you click on the engine box in the main engine window,
under the classical Shredder GUI you should right click somewhere in the
main engine window to enter "engine options".

Old August 20th 03, 05:39 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Have you specified Shredder how many threads it should use? You have to
specify under engine options in the engine window how many threads it
should use. This goes the same for the classical GUI. If you let the value
to be 1, of course Shredder will use only one thread.

Threads? That would all be on one CPU. The number of CPUs option was set
and fixed to one. The UI detected incorrectly.

Tom Veldhouse

Old August 20th 03, 05:40 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.67...
CeeBee wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

More precisely: under ChessBase GUI you should set it under "engine
parameters" if you click on the engine box in the main engine window,
under the classical Shredder GUI you should right click somewhere in the
main engine window to enter "engine options".

Yes, I knew to what you were referring. No, the software believes that I
have one CPU (which I do, but it is two logical CPUs due to hyperthreading).

Tom Veldhouse

Old August 20th 03, 08:02 PM
CeeBee

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Threads? That would all be on one CPU. The number of CPUs option was
set and fixed to one. The UI detected incorrectly.

As the engine Deep Sjeng supports HT, I assumed every engine can use it.
But it seems it needs some additional code to use HT.

I found this:

http://web.quick.cz/EVCOMP/evcpu.htm#HT

Bummer.