How to save a game in pgn under Chessbase 8 ?

Old August 22nd 03, 08:01 AM
John

Default How to save a game in pgn under Chessbase 8 ?

It is clear that you don't understand what was asked, and neither what
is possible with chessbase.

1) Exporting to PGN, RTF, HTML as all done from the Create Text file
command. No renaming or "converting" needs to be done at all. The
method is limited though, since you cannot append to pgn files.
(This is all from the Game Window)

2) Creating a pgn database was not the point; if that would have been
the method, you should also explain that the List Windows should be
used to copy the game to the pgn file by dragging the game. It is not
possible from the game window.

3) If you were careful enough you would see that File | Save As in the
Game window DOES NOT allow saving into PGN files. A simple little
check by you would have revealed this. Your advice on this point
is just completely wrong.

J.

On 22 Aug 2003 02:09:07 GMT, -remove- (Mhoulsby)

From:
(John)
Date: 20/08/03 20:37 GMT Daylight Time
I can't see why that's better:

Did I suggest that it was? It's an *alternative* method.

if I want to export a game into a PGN file from the *Game Window*, the
way i described is the only way I think.

Clearly that's wrong, since my alternative method works, too.

dunno what it is you are trying to solve; you are answering the
question "how to create a new PGN database?" which was not the
question as I read it.

True. My method works for creating a PGN database. If one wishes to save from
the board window to an *existing* PGN database, then one should use "Save As"
in the File menu in the board window, then select the existing PGN database by
navigating the new dialog window.

J.

On 20 Aug 2003 10:28:42 GMT,
-remove- (Mhoulsby)

From:
(John)
Date: 20/08/03 09:57 GMT Daylight Time
Just go to the "natural" File-New-Create TextFile in there it will
be possible to save a game in PGN format.

This *creates* a *textfile* which then must be *converted* to PGN by *renaming*
it.

How is that simpler than simply *creating* a PGN database using the method I
described?

snip

Mark

Old August 22nd 03, 03:58 PM
John

Hey SUCKER

Save As from the Board Window DOES NOT HAVE THE POSSIBILTY TO SAVE
INTO A PGN FILE YOU DUMB ASS!

Do you even HAVE Chessbase 8.0 ????

On 22 Aug 2003 11:10:16 GMT, -remove- (Mhoulsby)

From:
(John)
Date: 22/08/03 08:01 GMT Daylight Time
It is clear that you don't understand what was asked, and neither what
is possible with chessbase.

On the contrary, it's clear that *you* understand neither what was asked, nor
my answer.

1) Exporting to PGN, RTF, HTML as all done from the Create Text file
command. No renaming or "converting" needs to be done at all. The
method is limited though, since you cannot append to pgn files.

EXACT LY!!!!!! MY METHOD WORKS FOR BOTH!!!!!!

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This is all from the Game Window)

2) Creating a pgn database was not the point; if that would have been
the method, you should also explain that the List Windows should be
used to copy the game to the pgn file by dragging the game.

Why on earth should I do that? That certainly was NOT what was asked....

It is not
possible from the game window.

No. My method (Save As: then choosing an *existing* PGN file) *does* work *from
the board window*

DUH!!!!!!!!!!
!
3) If you were careful enough you would see that File | Save As in the
Game window DOES NOT allow saving into PGN files.

Yes it does. Click the little down arrow button in the "Save as type" dialog,
just as my method describes.

You're really not very smart, are you?

A simple little
check by you would have revealed this. Your advice on this point
is just completely wrong.

J.

Nope. Yours is. A simple little check by YOU would have revealed this. Moron.

Have a nice day now!

M.

On 22 Aug 2003 02:09:07 GMT,
-remove- (Mhoulsby)

From:
(John)

Date: 20/08/03 09:57 GMT Daylight Time
Just go to the "natural" File-New-Create TextFile in there it will
be possible to save a game in PGN format.

This *creates* a *textfile* which then must be *converted* to PGN by *renaming*
it.

How is that simpler than simply *creating* a PGN database using the method I
described?

snip

Mark

John,

I like your method. It works well. To append games in PGN format
from the game window - I do EDITCOPYCOPY GAME (or Control -C) ,
switch to Fritz 8, then FILESAVE AS , select PGN format and the PGN
file you wish to append to.

Mike
Old August 23rd 03, 02:24 AM
Mhoulsby

From: (John)
Date: 22/08/03 15:58 GMT Daylight Time
Hey SUCKER

Save As from the Board Window DOES NOT HAVE THE POSSIBILTY TO SAVE
INTO A PGN FILE YOU DUMB ASS!

Ok you moron, listen up: this is clear to everyone *except you*. Your method
works. So does mine. What you say above is true *only* for board windows which
have been opened, cold, from the databases window.

Nowhere in my description of this alternative approach do I even *suggest*
opening a board window *from the database window*. The fact that PGN is not an
option from that circumstance (a fact of which I was well aware) is:

a) an indication that Mr. ChessBase would like us all to use *only* ChessBase
format databases, not PGN, nor EPD nor anything else.

b) a really stupid design flaw.

Note, however, that if one either *creates* a *new* PGN database, using the
method I described, or *opens* an *existing* database from the databases
window, *then* clicks on the new board icon in the game list, SAVING TO PGN IS
THE MAIN OPTION IN THE FILE MENU LIST.

Now, here's the difference between us: you seem to assume that the method which
you have described is the *only* method which works. It isn't. My method is a
viable *option* for those who prefer it.

Your method works. So does mine. Learn to live with it. Learn to read. Go see a
movie. Get laid. Get a life.

Do you even HAVE Chessbase 8.0 ????

Stop these ignorant, stupid, insulting assumptions. The only person who looks
bad as a result is YOU.

Old August 23rd 03, 02:29 AM
Mhoulsby

From: test
Date: 22/08/03 18:15 GMT Daylight Time

snip
Yes it does. Click the little down arrow button in the "Save as type"

dialog,
just as my method describes.

Mark,

When I'm in the game window, and click save as - no option allows me to
select an exisiting pgn or to save as a pgn file. Perhaps there are
different versions of CB8 available?

Mike

Ok, Mike. My description, evidently, was unclear to you. It appears that you
have been clicking the new board icon in the database window. Never do this.
Always either create the database in which you which to save, or click on the
icon associated with an existing database. Only then should you click the new
board icon in the game list window (I do this so automatically that it didn't
occur to me to point it out).

Having opened a board window *within a database* saving to that database is the
main "Save" option in the file menu in the board window.

Hope this works.

Please post if not.

Best
Mark
Old August 23rd 03, 09:47 AM
John

Save As from the Board Window DOES NOT HAVE THE POSSIBILTY TO SAVE
INTO A PGN FILE YOU DUMB ASS!

Ok you moron, listen up: this is clear to everyone *except you*. Your method
works. So does mine. What you say above is true *only* for board windows which
have been opened, cold, from the databases window.

No, it is ALWAYS true. Just try it. I did. Open a game from CBH or
PGN. "Save as" only allows save into CBH.

Note, however, that if one either *creates* a *new* PGN database, using the
method I described, or *opens* an *existing* database from the databases
window, *then* clicks on the new board icon in the game list, SAVING TO PGN IS
THE MAIN OPTION IN THE FILE MENU LIST.

Yes, Save will put it in the game's database, so if that is PGN it
will put it in the PGN. But "Save As" will not allow PGN.

Well aware? You said :

"If one wishes to save from the board window to an *existing* PGN database, then one should use
"Save As" in the File menu in the board window, then
select the existing PGN database by navigating the new dialog window."

Not much awareness here...

John

Old August 24th 03, 02:08 PM
Mark Houlsby

Well aware? You said :

"If one wishes to save from the board window to an *existing* PGN database, then one should use
"Save As" in the File menu in the board window, then
select the existing PGN database by navigating the new dialog window."

Not much awareness here...

There is a big difference between being unaware and misremembering the
items in a menu. Your having charged me with a) not owning ChessBase
and b) lack of awareness and c) lack of intelligence once again serves
only to make you look like an idiot.

D'you wanna try again?
John