Any programs analyze play, see weaknesses and bring up appropriate lessons?

Old August 21st 03, 12:25 AM
Richard Hutnik

Default Any programs analyze play, see weaknesses and bring up appropriate lessons?

I am looking for a chess program that would monitor how you play, see
you keep repeatedly making certain mistakes, and then bring up an
appropriate lesson to address this.

Any program out there does this?
- Richard
Old August 24th 03, 05:30 PM
Betsy Schwartz

There are three things you could do:

a) Chess Mentor does tutorials and keeps track of which ones you may need
more work with. But it does tutorials, not games.

b) when you play, save your games in pgn mode and feed them through
Chessmaster or some other program that does analysis. I find that the
numerical valuation of the position doesn't tell me much, but when the
program says something about how I just made a huge blunder, I usually can
learn something.

c) Chessmaster has a "blunder alert" feature. However, I found it's advice
to be of varying usefulness. Sometimes I could see what it means and
sometimes it seems to be nitpicking. I think the big problem is that it does
the analysis at some kind of master level, and as a beginner I just can't
always follow what it is talking about - but usually neither can my
opponent....

Old August 25th 03, 05:41 AM
Richard Hutnik

"Betsy Schwartz" wrote in message ...
[...]

How about it looks at a series of games, and then uses an expert
system to deduce which aspects of the gameplay are week. At this
point, it would make suggestions on loading up tutorial X, Y or Z,
depending on what is weak.

If the person botches openings, then load up a tutorial on certain
openings, theories, etc...

- Richard Hutnik
Old September 4th 03, 02:02 AM
Greg Teets

If the person botches openings, then load up a tutorial on certain
openings, theories, etc...

- Richard Hutnik

It would seem like the person could figure that out without a computer
program.

Old September 8th 03, 03:26 PM
Richard Hutnik

Greg Teets wrote in message . ..
If the person botches openings, then load up a tutorial on certain
openings, theories, etc...

- Richard Hutnik

It would seem like the person could figure that out without a computer
program.

A person who is new to the game, or not familar with a certain area
may not pick this up.

- Richard Hutnik
Old September 16th 03, 10:26 PM
henri Arsenault

Just go over your games with Fritz in "infinite analysis" mode. Fritz
will pick up most of your mistakes in an instant, and you can see not
only where your weaknesses are, but what you should have played. If it
is nt clear why, just follow the moves suggested by Fritz and you will
see.

Henri
Old September 17th 03, 03:30 PM
Richard Hutnik

henri Arsenault wrote in message ...
Just go over your games with Fritz in "infinite analysis" mode. Fritz
will pick up most of your mistakes in an instant, and you can see not
only where your weaknesses are, but what you should have played. If it
is nt clear why, just follow the moves suggested by Fritz and you will
see.

Henri

It would be good to have it linked to a bunch of tutorials though.
Perhaps I ask too much, or that maybe chess programs now are so
thorough, there really isn't much left for them.

Henri, by the way, what brings you over to chess? I thought you were
a "new wargame a week" type person, not a chess player. I am curious,
have you taken a look at Zillions?

- Richard Hutnik