Excalibur chess computer

Old August 21st 03, 05:47 AM
Tiger88

Default Excalibur chess computer

I've been looking at the ads for the new Excalibur chess computer with
the robotic arm. Has anyone tried it yet? Does it really work?

http://electronicchess.com/catalog/p...boticchess.htm
Old August 21st 03, 02:37 PM
c4b4e4

"Tiger88" wrote in message
I've been looking at the ads for the new Excalibur chess computer

with
the robotic arm. Has anyone tried it yet? Does it really work?

http://electronicchess.com/catalog/p...boticchess.htm

There was something similar to this many years ago-- I believe it was called
Savant-- that looked wicked, but you have to consider what TRUE playing
strength it is!

You could buy all the ChessBase playing programs (the 5 main ones) for much
less and have far stronger opponents!

Plus, what do you do if the Excalibur machine breaks?

Old August 21st 03, 02:46 PM
Thomas Muething

Tiger88 wrote:

I've been looking at the ads for the new Excalibur chess computer with
the robotic arm. Has anyone tried it yet? Does it really work?

http://electronicchess.com/catalog/p...boticchess.htm

This computer will probably never see the light of day (did you ask
whther they have it in stock?). It was first announced for a year ago,
then delayed, now it has disappeared from the company website. From what
I heard, it's now officially withdrawn.

Thomas

--
"There's just two things in this world that I can't stand. It's people
who are intolerant of other people's culture ... and the Dutch!"

Old August 21st 03, 02:58 PM
Tiger88

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:37:15 -0400, c4b4e4 wrote:

There was something similar to this many years ago-- I believe it was called
Savant-- that looked wicked, but you have to consider what TRUE playing
strength it is!

You could buy all the ChessBase playing programs (the 5 main ones) for much
less and have far stronger opponents!

Plus, what do you do if the Excalibur machine breaks?

I'm not too worried about the playing strength. I'm a 1500 player, so most
computers can beat me anyway. It's more a question of how smoothly it
functions, how durable is it, does it set up the pieces between games,
etc.?
Old August 29th 03, 08:23 PM
Thomas Muething

Chris Kantack wrote:

Correct. A team in China (Hong Kong) was responsible for getting the
robotic arm to work. They never succeeded. The project was scrapped
several months ago.

A pity though. Now, the Novag Robot (not counting the ultra-rare Boris
Handroid) remains to be the sole specimen chess computer with a robotic arm.

Thomas

Old August 30th 03, 06:35 AM
Chris Kantack

In article , [email protected]
online.de says...
Chris Kantack wrote:

Correct. A team in China (Hong Kong) was responsible for getting the
robotic arm to work. They never succeeded. The project was scrapped
several months ago.

A pity though. Now, the Novag Robot (not counting the ultra-rare Boris
Handroid) remains to be the sole specimen chess computer with a robotic arm.

Thomas

I know how you feel. It would have been great to see Excalibur's Robotic
Arm set come to fruition. I too was bummed to see the project get canned.
(But I was not totally surprised either...robotic arm units still very tough
to do.)

Chris
http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/lcdchess/home.htm