FICS Registration not working

Old August 22nd 03, 08:10 AM
Anders Carlsson

Default FICS Registration not working

"David R. Heffelfinger" writes:

Every time I click on the link to get the registration form, I get an
error message.

It seems their MySQL server is not running, or at least not running
in the way their web page expects it to. Unless the webmaster already
found this, you could send an email.

I believe you can still log in unregistered (as an guest), although
there does not seem to be any server internal registration mechanism.
If the web page remains broken for long time, you might contact a FICS
admin?

--
Anders Carlsson

"Please not to close to the hair, finger, clothes to run about the
inside's vehicle, in order to prevent quilt involvement." -- Bit Racer
Old August 22nd 03, 10:06 AM
June

What is the error message you saw?

Alternatively, you can login as a guest in FICS and tell an admin
about the problem. Use "showadmin" command to show available admins
on-line.
Use "tell Admin'sName bla bla bla bla" to talk to an admin.

Regards,

lethalgambit
---

"David R. Heffelfinger" wrote in message . com...
Hello,

I've been playing on Yahoo Chess for a while. I recently got SCID and I
would like to get my games on PGN so that I can analyze them with it,
since Yahoo Chess does not email games in PGN I decided to register with
FICs, only to find out I am unable to for the time being.

Every time I click on the link to get the registration form, I get an
error message.

Are there any alternative ways of registering? Any idea when the
registration form will be back up? Are there any alternative free ICS
servers?

Thanks for any help,
David

Old August 22nd 03, 10:07 AM
JVarsoke

"David R. Heffelfinger" wrote in message . com...

Are there any alternative ways of registering? Any idea when the
registration form will be back up? Are there any alternative free ICS
servers?

Sure, just telnet to freechess.org port 5000, sign in as a guest and
ask an admin to help you register.

You could look elsewhere for free online chess, but you will not find
anything better than FICS.
Old August 22nd 03, 01:21 PM
Mhoulsby

"Please not to close to the hair, finger, clothes to run about the
inside's vehicle, in order to prevent quilt involvement." -- Bit Racer

:-))))))))))
Old August 24th 03, 11:23 AM
floris

you can also copy and paste the yahoo games in chessbase light and save them
in pgn: works for me!

"David R. Heffelfinger" schreef in bericht
news

Old August 25th 03, 10:45 PM
David R. Heffelfinger

"floris" wrote in message ...
you can also copy and paste the yahoo games in chessbase light and save them
in pgn: works for me!

The problem is, I run Linux on my home PC, AFAIK, ChessBase does not
run under Linux. I read on the newsgroups about a utility to convert
Yahoo games to PGN
called hooScore, again, a Windows application.

I decided to register on FICS and get my games on PGN directly, but
AFAIK their database is still down. In any case, if there are any
other Yahoo Linux chess players around, I have been successfully
running hooScore under WINE (Windows Emulator), using it to convert
the games to PGN and load them into SCID.

David