Generating tablebases, is it worth the trouble?

Old August 22nd 03, 08:53 PM
Marcel Alsemgeest

Default Generating tablebases, is it worth the trouble?

I'm thinking of generating 5-piece tablebases, but that will take quite some
time even on my fairly powerfull machine. So i wonder if it is really worth
the trouble. My main reason would be to let my pc play more effective
against other pc's, but will that indeed be the case when I use tablebases,
or isn't there much difference noticable?

Marcel

Old August 23rd 03, 07:50 AM
Sir Spock

Well...generating will mose certainly be slower than downloading...

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I know that link, but 7 GB is a little too much to download with my 256
kbit/sec ADSL-connection... (7 GB to download with +/- 26 Kbytes/sec will
take around 75 hours, and apart from that my 1,5 GB free download limit

will
be crossed by a very large margin, so it will cost quite a lot money).
Generating will be faster I think/hope and certainly cheaper. But the
question is really: is it worth the time to generate these files?

"Ѥ " schreef in bericht
. ca...

Old August 23rd 03, 11:31 AM

Shaw supposedly has a 5 gig download limit per month as well, but I
regularily download between 15 - 30 gigs a month and they haven't bothered
me yet, nor have I paid any surcharges.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:33 AM

I was thinking about buying a 120 Gig external hdd for my notebook computer.
I was wondering how long it would take to generate a complete 6 piece set on
a 2 GHz machine with 512 MB ddr ram?

Old August 23rd 03, 12:05 PM
Match (schaakcommissie) account

TOO long!

If it wasn't, they would already be available on my site!

Cheers!

"Sir Spock" wrote in message
Well...generating will mose certainly be slower than downloading...

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I know that link, but 7 GB is a little too much to download with my 2=

56
kbit/sec ADSL-connection... (7 GB to download with +/- 26 Kbytes/sec

will
take around 75 hours, and apart from that my 1,5 GB free download lim=

it
will
be crossed by a very large margin, so it will cost quite a lot money)=

=2E
Generating will be faster I think/hope and certainly cheaper. But the
question is really: is it worth the time to generate these files?

"=FF=EB=D1=A4 =B2=B0=B0=B3" =

a schreef in
bericht
. ca...

Old August 23rd 03, 12:49 PM
Marcel Alsemgeest

Apart from that, I think 512 MB RAM is not enough to make the complete set
in the first place. With 512 MB you can't even make the complete 5 piece set
(at least I can't). A complete 6 piece set with enough memory available will
take at least several years of around-the-clock processortime to generate
(as I guess from my beginning experience with the 5 piece set: some files
will take more than 8 hours to generate... (on my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with
1GB DDR RAM), given the rather enourmous amount of different files to be
generated for a 6 piece set, plus the fact that generating those will take
probably even days per file...).

"Match (schaakcommissie) account" schreef in
bericht ...

Old August 23rd 03, 01:33 PM

The thing is...I have a second computer, so I could leave one of them
working on the tablebases for as long as it takes....if we're talking a
couple of weeks straight, no problem....if its a year...we might have a
problem.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
Match (schaakcommissie) account

Dude! I have 10 spare computers here, and that's only at home I am talking
about, at work there are many more, that isn't the biggest problem! Main
memory is the biggest problem, storage!

"Sir Spock" wrote in message
Well...generating will mose certainly be slower than downloading...

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I know that link, but 7 GB is a little too much to download with my

256
kbit/sec ADSL-connection... (7 GB to download with +/- 26 Kbytes/se=

will
take around 75 hours, and apart from that my 1,5 GB free download

limit
will
be crossed by a very large margin, so it will cost quite a lot mone=

y).
Generating will be faster I think/hope and certainly cheaper. But t=

he
question is really: is it worth the time to generate these files?

"=FF=EB=D1=A4 =B2=B0=B0=B3" [email protected]=

=2Eca schreef in
bericht
. ca...

Old August 23rd 03, 10:16 PM
Renze Steenhuisen

CeeBee wrote:
"Ѥ " wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

I was thinking about buying a 120 Gig external hdd for my notebook
computer. I was wondering how long it would take to generate a
complete 6 piece set on a 2 GHz machine with 512 MB ddr ram?

120Gb isn't enough by far. The until now generated are already about
115Gb. Wasn't it estimated that a full 6 men set is about 1 Tb?
And especially with a 512 machine the larger ones still to come couldn't
be generated anyhow.

Be amazed! The up-untill-now publicly available EGTBs add up to some
230GB, have a look at my ftp-site if you don't believe it. Or if you
want to have the exact numbers!

--
/**
* J.R.Steenhuisen