In search of sense

Old August 25th 03, 06:09 PM
CeeBee

Default In search of sense

"Solomon Nuffert" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Folks!
I try to find the reason, on which I should buy the new chess
program.
I have the old chess program Rebel Decade - free-of-charge version
Rebel 10, which on my computer declares power of 2450 ELO - and I
can not beat her.
At the same time I know many people, which, by not beat Chessmaster
7K get the programs Chessmaster 8K, Chessmaster 8K and so on.
Probably, I am circumscribed in thinking and I do not understand own
benefit?
Then with gratitude I shall take part kind advice, indicating
necessity of such purchase - and at the same time, may be, changes
of the old computer on new one, too.

A current chess program has far more value than playing against the
engine only. It can range from training facilities, database usability,
better analysis features, not in the least because of stronger engines,
personality editors to tune the engine to cater your whims, GUI ability
to play online....
The time that most average chess players were able to beat a chess
program is long ago already. The time that a program gives me an
automated and detailed analysis that in some aspects could rival IM or
GM level is certainly not passed by.

No one however is going to tell _you_ to buy a new chess program because
your one is obsolete.

And there's an alternative: freeware. Not only is there a newer and more
versatile version of Rebel Decade (Rebel 12 at
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm - not for XP), there's also
the wealth of free engines running in very user friendly free GUI's like
Arena at http://www.playwitharena.com

Get your free engines by the dozens, running from Elo 1500 to Elo 2500
and get some variation if you're up to it.

Good luck.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 26th 03, 07:25 PM
Solomon Nuffert

Hi, CeeBee!

CeeBee записано в статью

A current chess program has far more value than playing against

the
engine only. It can range from training facilities, database

usability,
better analysis features, not in the least because of stronger

engines,
personality editors to tune the engine to cater your whims, GUI

ability
to play online....

Training facilities? Yes, it seems to be a good reason for me. Thank
you.
I'm old dog, but...

SoloMoon