Commodore 64

Old August 27th 03, 03:40 PM
Anders Carlsson

Default Commodore 64

(Steven Dowd) writes:

Some years back there was a really good chess program for the 64 that
could also solve helpmates, selfmates, etc. Does anyone remember the
name? I have done an on-line search, but can't find it....

You might ask in Commodore communities (i.e. comp.emulators.cbm,
comp.sys.cbm,
www.lemon64.com forum etc) as well. The latter site
lists ten chess games, although I'm sure there were more titles.
There once was a cartridge called "The Final Chess Cartridge" but
I believe it was quite poor compared to some of the other chess
software.

--
Anders Carlsson

"Please not to close to the hair, finger, clothes to run about the
inside's vehicle, in order to prevent quilt involvement." -- Bit Racer
Old August 27th 03, 05:37 PM
Euc1id

I have the answer somewhere but would have to dig through boxes of old
papers and disks to find it. Let me suggest that the fastest way to find out
would be to ask David L. Brown, a problemist who writes a column for Chess
Life (USA). His email address follows, which I've "spoofed" to prevent the
spambots from harvesting it from here automatically. Please remove the
underline symbol "_", the "x", and the "z".

--
Euc1id

Old August 27th 03, 06:34 PM
Muggs

Ahhh, The commador 64.

I had a program called "Sargon 7" or something like that. I could never beat
it.

Muggs

om...

Old August 27th 03, 10:14 PM
Joost de Heer

In article , Steven Dowd wrote:
Some years back there was a really good chess program for the 64 that
could also solve helpmates, selfmates, etc. Does anyone remember the
name? I have done an on-line search, but can't find it....

Colossus chess perhaps?

Joost
--
Du hast mein Herz zerrissen, meine Seele geraubt
Das es so enden würde hätt` ich nie geglaubt [Aus der Ruinen -]
Old August 28th 03, 12:56 AM
rikkie

As I recall there two very good chess-programs for the C64 :
Sargon and Collosus Cess . I remember there was a competition going on
in some german computer-magazine at the time between all kinds of
computer-chess programs and Collosus Chess won this "tournament "
Must have been the strongest piece of software at the time Wonder
if it would hold its own against some engines of today , though ...

Op Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:14:52 +0000 (UTC) schreef Joost de Heer
:

Old August 28th 03, 08:21 AM
Anders Carlsson

rikkie writes:

As I recall there two very good chess-programs for the C64 :
Sargon and Collosus Cess .

Sargon is known to have existed in versions II (1982) and III (1988).
I believe more recent Sargons have been seen on Amigas and later PCs
as well?

Colussus Chess was available in versions 2.0 and 4.0, of which the
latter according to C64 chess players was the strongest chess engine
despite it was released already in 1985. I'm not aware if these
programs had anything resembling an opening book or if everything
was based on algorithms.

Old August 28th 03, 09:06 PM
Steven Dowd

Yes thanks all it was Colossus chess.
Old August 28th 03, 11:23 PM
rikkie

I believe it was colossus chess 4 which won the computer-chess
tournament I was talking about . Sargon was pretty good as well I
remember. Sure would like to see these games back in a new version
....fat chance though
I remeber being blown away at the time on my C64 by the level of
detail in Collosus chess 4 ...wasn't there a chess-tutorial in that
one as well ?? Don't remember...

Op 28 Aug 2003 08:21:00 +0200 schreef Anders Carlsson
:

Old August 29th 03, 01:34 AM
NoKetch

I believe it was colossus chess 4 which won the computer-chess
tournament I was talking about . Sargon was pretty good as well I
remember. Sure would like to see these games back in a new version
...fat chance though
I remeber being blown away at the time on my C64 by the level of
detail in Collosus chess 4 ...wasn't there a chess-tutorial in that
one as well ?? Don't remember...

I was blown away by Colossus Chess also. One thing i especially liked was the
ability to make moves with the cursor keys, whereas in Sargon, the moves had to
be typed in.

Dave

Old August 29th 03, 08:43 AM
Anders Carlsson

rikkie writes:

Sure would like to see these games back in a new version

Or maybe the Fritz, ChessMaster and other development teams trying
to cut and squeeze as much as possible of their current releases
back into a C64 release. I'm not sure about C++, but there are
decent C compilers for 6502 computers and after some profiling the
most important parts could be hand written in assembly language.

If 64 kB and 8-bits is too restricting, there always is the 16-bit
65816 based computers and expansion cards...