Fritz 7

Old August 27th 03, 06:53 PM
Photon

Default Fritz 7

Hello all...

I recently aquired CheesBase's Fritz7 CD from a deceased relative. I
am not that great at chess, but find the program pretty cool. I dont
have any documentation, so i have a couple questions here...

1. It seems buggy. Program has crashed a few times, and also doesnt
save my board settings about 25% of the time. Is there any patches or
upgrades i can install?

2. Is there anyway to run it without having the CD in? I know this is
a copywrite security feature, but man is it a pain to do it every
time.

3.It also installed with no opening books or databases...where can I
get these files, and how do i install them?

4. And last, is there anyway to make it play itself? I enjoy setting
up games, and watching them played...it sure is a pain to have to hit
the spacebar every time.

Thanks much!!

-Photon

It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/
Old August 27th 03, 08:27 PM
Damir Ulovec

"Photon" wrote in message
1. It seems buggy. Program has crashed a few times, and also doesnt
save my board settings about 25% of the time. Is there any patches or
upgrades i can install?

Yes, there is an upgrade (if you didn't upgrade it yet), bu t if I may say,
after upgrade he still can crash (this is his "feature").

2. Is there anyway to run it without having the CD in? I know this is
a copywrite security feature, but man is it a pain to do it every
time.

I running it without CD, he asks for it only for the first time, and after that
I play without CD.

3.It also installed with no opening books or databases...where can I
get these files, and how do i install them?

Fritz's database you can find in it's CD in folder "Database", and opening book
in root folder (Fritz7.ctb, Fritz7.ctg and Fritz7.cto). If is not installed in
hard disc already (My Documents/ChessBase/CompBase/ and My
Documents/ChessBase/Books/) it's the best to copy files from CD (and make sure
to uncheck ReadOnly attribute from book files).

4. And last, is there anyway to make it play itself? I enjoy setting
up games, and watching them played...it sure is a pain to have to hit
the spacebar every time.

Yes, there is an option for that.
If you want Fritz 7 (or other engine defined in engine pane) to play against
himself use Tools-Analysis-Shootout...
If you want Fritz 7 to play against other engines (you can't setup position
here) use File-New-Engine Match...

Old August 27th 03, 09:31 PM
CeeBee

Photon wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Hello all...

I recently aquired CheesBase's Fritz7 CD from a deceased relative. I
am not that great at chess, but find the program pretty cool. I dont
have any documentation, so i have a couple questions here...

1. It seems buggy. Program has crashed a few times, and also doesnt
save my board settings about 25% of the time. Is there any patches or
upgrades i can install?

2. Is there anyway to run it without having the CD in? I know this is
a copywrite security feature, but man is it a pain to do it every
time.

3.It also installed with no opening books or databases...where can I
get these files, and how do i install them?

4. And last, is there anyway to make it play itself? I enjoy setting
up games, and watching them played...it sure is a pain to have to hit
the spacebar every time.

There's a service pack at
http://www.chessbase.com/support/support.asp?pid=192
(scroll down to the bottom of the page)

There's an extensive help file for Fritz, simply hit F1 and browse the
help file. The most important features are spelled out there.

Fritz asks once for the CD and then keeps quiet. If it persists in
asking for the CD you could try the following:
save your layout if you want to.
Reset to factory defaults (tools factory settings)
Close Fritz
Restart it, and let it ask for the CD. Now do a proper CD check.
Reload your layout if you had one specified.
Most probably it won't ask for a CDR anymore.
(http://www.chessbase.com/support/support.asp?pid=134)

If you want to see it play itself, you can use the option "shootout".
Look it up in the help file for instructions.
(tools analysis shootout)

If you simply want engine vs. engine games, you can download a few free
engines at the chessbase site and do a tournament or an engine-engine
match:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/index.asp?cat=Engines
(instructions how to "install" on the page)

Good luck/

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 27th 03, 09:50 PM
Joerg Moormann

If you want Fritz 7 to play against other engines (you can't setup position
here)...

....but you can create an opening book with one line. So its possible
to come to your position.

Greetings
Joerg