skinny on Mephisto chess

Old August 28th 03, 03:24 PM
Fn39k

Default skinny on Mephisto chess

Someone from ICD Your Move told me that Mephisto company had gone out of
business. Now delicated handheld and tabletops are being offered for sale under
the Mephisto name by US Chess and ICD. What's going on ?! The Mephisto
Master looks like the Milano Pro that was sold some years ago in the late
'90's.
I am confused about the other computers that are being sold too. When you pay
your $225 - $300 are you paying for a new computer or an used-reconditioned
computer packaged like it's new. I have been scamed once or twice more than
enough to caution all that don't believe the hype.

*p.s - "If I ever lose my faith in you" "There be nothing left for me to do"
Sting

Old August 28th 03, 08:05 PM
Michael Byrne

(Fn39k) wrote in message ...
Someone from ICD Your Move told me that Mephisto company had gone out of
business. Now delicated handheld and tabletops are being offered for sale under
the Mephisto name by US Chess and ICD. What's going on ?! The Mephisto
Master looks like the Milano Pro that was sold some years ago in the late
'90's.
I am confused about the other computers that are being sold too. When you pay
your $225 - $300 are you paying for a new computer or an used-reconditioned
computer packaged like it's new. I have been scamed once or twice more than
enough to caution all that don't believe the hype.

*p.s - "If I ever lose my faith in you" "There be nothing left for me to do"
Sting

The 'original" Mephisto company that bought you the state of the art
computer chess games in the early 90's no longer exists. The name
(and perhaps even the company) was eventually acquired by Saitek. For
years, Saitek only offered "Saitek" brand items in the US, reserving
the the "Mephisto" brand for Europe.

They have changed that recently and are now offering "Mephisto" brand
units in the US. I would not be surpised if the "Mephisto Master" is
the "Milano Pro" in disguise - since there has been no real
improvements in these machines - there is not a lot of information
available as to the program and hardware being used. I do not know if
that's intentional, or just a realization that R&D for these units
have basically stopped and they are just the same units packages with
new skins.

But you would think they would be able to offer units at least with
hash tables and LEDs on very square.

For the money, you don't seem to get alot with the Mephisto Master.
If is the Milaon Pro - that is basically a $125 machine in Europe -
before the Euro took off.
Old August 29th 03, 07:39 PM
Thomas Muething

Michael Byrne wrote:

I would not be surpised if the "Mephisto Master" is
the "Milano Pro" in disguise -

It is.

Thomas

--
"There's just two things in this world that I can't stand. It's people
who are intolerant of other people's culture ... and the Dutch!"

Old August 30th 03, 10:24 PM
Anthony Schleizer

Thomas Muething wrote:
Michael Byrne wrote:

I would not be surpised if the "Mephisto Master" is
the "Milano Pro" in disguise -

It is.

Thomas

I bought a Mephisto Master Chess computer about a month ago and have
been very happy with it. I played a 6 game g/30 match between it and a
Novag Sapphire II and it won 5-1 (5 wins, 1 loss). It scored 63/100 on
Larry Kaufman's CCR 1hr test. Using Kaufman's rating scale, that's 2320
ELO. Probably a bit high, but I would guess that it's defintely strong
master strength. I guess if you don't mind it being a renamed Milano
Pro, then it's OK, since it's probably the strongest dedicated unit
under $300.

Tony

Old September 4th 03, 03:12 AM
Michael Byrne

Anthony Schleizer wrote in message . ..
Thomas Muething wrote:
Michael Byrne wrote:

I would not be surpised if the "Mephisto Master" is
the "Milano Pro" in disguise -

It is.

Thomas

I bought a Mephisto Master Chess computer about a month ago and have
been very happy with it. I played a 6 game g/30 match between it and a
Novag Sapphire II and it won 5-1 (5 wins, 1 loss). It scored 63/100 on
Larry Kaufman's CCR 1hr test. Using Kaufman's rating scale, that's 2320
ELO. Probably a bit high, but I would guess that it's defintely strong
master strength. I guess if you don't mind it being a renamed Milano
Pro, then it's OK, since it's probably the strongest dedicated unit
under $300.

Tony

Tony,

here's a test for your Mephisto Master Chess computer

8/k7/3p4/p2P1p2/P2P1P2/8/8/K7 w - - 0 1
wKa1,Pa4,d4,d5,f4/bKa7,Pa5,d6,f5

it's Fine endgame problem number 70. Tabletops, unless they had hash
tables take along time to see the best and winning move Kb1. Kb2 only
only draws. Programs today find this move instantly. Please post
your result - if anybody has Milano Pro and/or Mephisto Atlanta please
post your result(s). The Atlanta , due to has tables was much faster
than the Milano Pro. The Milano Pro and Atlanta share the same
program and processor - the only difference is the hash table.

Best,

Michael
Old September 4th 03, 04:31 PM
NetSock

here's a test for your Mephisto Master Chess computer

8/k7/3p4/p2P1p2/P2P1P2/8/8/K7 w - - 0 1
wKa1,Pa4,d4,d5,f4/bKa7,Pa5,d6,f5

Sorry to be such a doof, but how do I read the above to set up?

Old September 5th 03, 12:38 AM
Michael Byrne

"NetSock" wrote in message ...
here's a test for your Mephisto Master Chess computer

8/k7/3p4/p2P1p2/P2P1P2/8/8/K7 w - - 0 1
wKa1,Pa4,d4,d5,f4/bKa7,Pa5,d6,f5

Sorry to be such a doof, but how do I read the above to set up?

you're not the doof, the doof is the one who does not ask

the first is FEN (Forsyth-Edwards Notation)

8/k7/3p4/p2P1p2/P2P1P2/8/8/K7 w - - 0 1

Read it from "8th" rank to "1st" rank, going from the "a" file to "h"
file, white pieces are upper case, black is lower case. Each rank is
seperated by a "/". The "w' gives the side to move. There are also
pointers for ep and castling rights. The better programs today let you
pastes FEN notation in to the program.

8/ 8th rank has no pieces
k7/ black K on a7 , no other pieces on 7th rank
3p4/ black p on d6 , , no other pieces on 6th rank
p2P1p2/ black p on a5,f5, white p on d5 , no other pieces on 5th rank
etc.

the second line is the same position, just posted a different way

w Ka1,Pa4,d4,d5,f4 = white K on a1, p's on a4,d4,d5 and f4
b Ka7,Pa5,d6,f5 = black K on a7, p's on a5,d6 and f5

"8/k7/3p4/p2P1p2/P2P1P2/8/8/K7" equals
"wKa1,Pa4,d4,d5,f4/bKa7,Pa5,d6,f5"
Old September 7th 03, 07:38 PM
Kennet Eriksson

here's a test for your Mephisto Master Chess computer

8/k7/3p4/p2P1p2/P2P1P2/8/8/K7 w - - 0 1
wKa1,Pa4,d4,d5,f4/bKa7,Pa5,d6,f5

it's Fine endgame problem number 70. Tabletops, unless they had hash
tables take along time to see the best and winning move Kb1. Kb2 only
only draws. Programs today find this move instantly. Please post
your result - if anybody has Milano Pro and/or Mephisto Atlanta please
post your result(s). The Atlanta , due to has tables was much faster
than the Milano Pro. The Milano Pro and Atlanta share the same
program and processor - the only difference is the hash table.

Best,

Michael

Hi, my Mephisto Atlanta in "classic mode", 40 moves in 2 hours, played
Kb1 after 4 seconds. I don't know after how long it considered Kb1 the
best move. I tried on different settings, on 1 and 2 seconds a move it
played Kb2, on 3 and longer thinking times it plays Kb1.

Regards.

Do not try to answer via the above email. All messages are blocked.
Give your email here if you want an email conversation.