run the gauntlet

Old September 15th 03, 03:21 PM
Leonardo Ljubicic

Default run the gauntlet

I have a problem (help file is not specific enough, or am I missing
something) with "run the gauntlet" feature. If I understand correctly, after
you have finished an engine tourney, you can open that tourney, invite
another engine, click "run the gauntlet", and it should continue the tourney
playing only additional matches with newly invited engine against all other
already in the tourney table? But this doesn't work!! What is it that I am
doing wrong?

Leonardo

Old September 16th 03, 02:00 AM
Permanent_Brain

"Leonardo Ljubicic" schrieb:

I have a problem (help file is not specific enough, or am I missing
something) with "run the gauntlet" feature. If I understand correctly,

after
you have finished an engine tourney, you can open that tourney, invite
another engine, click "run the gauntlet", and it should continue the

tourney
playing only additional matches with newly invited engine against all

other
already in the tourney table? But this doesn't work!! What is it that I

am
doing wrong?

No, it's a complete tournament variant of it's own, for a new tournament
(not connected to another existing old tournament). IOW, it's simple, much
as you describe it: The *first* engine you "invite", will play against all
other engines which participate, but these won't play against themselves.
A quick way to get a first impression of a new engine, playing against a
variety of opponents.

I think it could be used to add an additional opponent to an existing
round robin tournament, but in that case, I'd run the 2nd tournament as a
"gauntlet", then copy the games to the database of the other tournament
and see that the tourney name is identical. May need load/edit/replace of
games, if you don't have ChessBase (which has a tournament key function).
By that, you should be able achieve a complete clean tournament table
after the additional engine's games.

I don't know if it is possible to easier continue a finished tournament
just by adding another engine in the dialogue an click continue... I can't
check it now because I don't keep the TRN files, but the F1 help says, it
will continue (only) when the setup hasn't been changed (?). It's worth a
try if desired. I'm afraid it would start the complete tournament all over
though.

Regards,
M.Scheidl