Excalibur Grandmaster Model # 747K

Old October 1st 03, 11:34 AM
Thomas Müthing

Default Excalibur Grandmaster Model # 747K

Leonardo Ljubicic schrieb:

I had Chess Challenger Sensory Voice too, only mine spoke on German :-)
(..."laufer zug").

I've got both varieties. In fondly recall the comment "Onad" for
"Rochade" (= castling). :-)

Later came Saitek Simultano, Kasparov Turboking, Milano, Saitek RISC 2500,
Milano Pro, Montreaux ... . I think the best machine was Saitek RISC 2500,
great display, and killer playing style. Those were the times ... .

The Montreux and the RISC 2500 had the same program, a chess board
version of "The King" by Johan de Koning. It rates 2191 on the SSDF
computer chess chart. One of the strongest boards avaiable (THE
strongest, according to the SSCF, is the Tasc R40 Version 2.5, at 2,400
Elo).

Thomas

Old October 1st 03, 12:19 PM
Leonardo Ljubicic

"Thomas Müthing" wrote in message
Leonardo Ljubicic schrieb:

I had Chess Challenger Sensory Voice too, only mine spoke on German :-)
(..."laufer zug").

I've got both varieties. In fondly recall the comment "Onad" for
"Rochade" (= castling). :-)

Later came Saitek Simultano, Kasparov Turboking, Milano, Saitek RISC

2500,
Milano Pro, Montreaux ... . I think the best machine was Saitek RISC

2500,
great display, and killer playing style. Those were the times ... .

The Montreux and the RISC 2500 had the same program, a chess board
version of "The King" by Johan de Koning. It rates 2191 on the SSDF
computer chess chart. One of the strongest boards avaiable (THE
strongest, according to the SSCF, is the Tasc R40 Version 2.5, at 2,400
Elo).

Thomas

I recall Tasc R30 only, a far dream for mortals like me. What was in R40
version? Newer King software? Faster CPU?

Leonardo

Old October 1st 03, 03:21 PM
Chuck in Minot

I am so glad I still have my Fidelity 2100, original box, manual, and sales
receipt, and proud of myself that I have declined all offers to buy it. It
is perhaps at the moment one of the few and last of its kind, and cannot be
replaced, and in my eyes a worthy collectors item in my opinion. I could
not imagine throwing away a chess computer, but I have to admit that I will
be donating my hand held Excalibur model 375-1 to the local elementary
school chess club. Tournament strength, HAH!! When my 7-year old daughter
asks "Why did it attack the pawn with the queen when another pawn is
guarding that pawn??? Isn't that a bad move daddy???" How can I possibly
improve on her flawless analysis.

Yes I am so very much enjoying all this talk as well...

"Thomas Müthing" wrote in message
Martin Wilber schrieb:

All this talk about Fidelity Chess Challenger brings back memories of
mine which I had back in the late 70s. I didn't have anyone decent to
play against so it was my main opponent. I was able to give it odds on
it's lowest levels. I think the best odds I could give it were rook
odds and still win when playing the lowest levels.

I played a Chess Challenger Sensory Voice (playing strength roughly the
same as the CC7/Voice) yesterday evening, and I checkmated it at
tournament level while watching a movie in Mandarin Chinese with English
subs. :-)

Still, these old machines have an aura that just isn't there any more.
The heavy construction, the wooden boards/pieces, (in the case of the
SCC) the lovely computer-generated voice ("I Lose"), the elementary
opening books. What's the use of playing Fritz on a PIV and you know
from the start that you can't beat it (in tournament chess), no matter
how hard you try.

It must be resting in a landfill somewhere now.

And a damn shame it is. ;-)

I've been collecting old chess computers now for a couple of years, but
the really rare pieces (like the Fidelity Mach III, or the Phantom) are
hard to come by and are usually pretty expensive.

Thomas