Fritz, engine off by default

Old February 18th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
Paul Stivers[_2_]

Default Fritz, engine off by default

I use Fritz 9, 80% of the time as a manual analysis board. For this
purpose I switch the engine off (Engine, Switch off engine), but every
time I load a new position, and sometimes I think if I edit the PGN in
certain ways, the engine starts up again. Very annoying.

Even if I go to Engines, Engine Management, and make all the engines
inactive, the 5.32 engine still starts up!

Is there any way to set the engine so that it does not start up unless
I explicitly switch it on?

Paul
Old February 19th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
David Richerby

Paul Stivers wrote:
I use Fritz 9, 80% of the time as a manual analysis board. For this
purpose I switch the engine off (Engine, Switch off engine), but
every time I load a new position, and sometimes I think if I edit
the PGN in certain ways, the engine starts up again.

Oh. I see they didn't fix that bug/misfeature from Fritz 8. *sigh*.

Very annoying.

Yes. :-(

Dave.

--
David Richerby Sumerian Chicken (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ farm animal that's really old!
Old February 19th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
help bot

On Feb 18, 5:20 pm, Paul Stivers
wrote:

I use Fritz 9, 80% of the time as a manual analysis board. For this
purpose I switch the engine off (Engine, Switch off engine), but every
time I load a new position, and sometimes I think if I edit the PGN in
certain ways, the engine starts up again. Very annoying.

Even if I go to Engines, Engine Management, and make all the engines
inactive, the 5.32 engine still starts up!

Is there any way to set the engine so that it does not start up unless
I explicitly switch it on?

There is one way: find the analysis engines
directory and delete the d*mned things! Just
"terminate" them, baby. No problemo.

-- Ahnold bot
Old February 19th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Paul Stivers[_2_]

Ok, this is weird. I created a subdirectory, "Hide Engines," not
under the Program Files\Chessbase directory, and moved the engines to
the Hide Engines directory. Fritz somehow manages to still run the
5.32 engine.

Tomorrow I'll delete the engines and see what happens, after I make a
backup copy. However, I'll want some reasonably easy way to turn
them back on when I do what them. At present though, I'm turning
them off about 20 times for every time I would turn them on if the
default were reversed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

Old February 19th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Paul Stivers[_2_]

help bot wrote:

OK, if I delete the engines, that works. The engines won't run if
they're not there . If I move them or even rename them, the engine
still runs. If I rename them, I get an "engine unknown error" on
starting Fritz, but the engine still runs! Persistant buggers!

Old February 19th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Paul Stivers[_2_]

Correction, if I rename the engines, they don't run. On starting a
new game though, fritz will make moves. I think Fritz must be using
an opening book in this case. The book does disable if I click
Engine, Switch off engines. I was mistaking the opening book for the
engine, though I should have known the engine wasn't running since
there were no calculations showing in the main engine pane. From a
new game position though, I still have the same practical problem. I
have to click Engine, Switch of engine, every time.

If I start from a saved position other than new game position,
renaming the engines works, as I think fritz won't go into opening
book. Then when I want the engines, I can restore the original
names.

And, sorry, I got the quote attribute wrong in my last followup. I
wrote the below, of course, not helpbot. Rusty on usenet news.

Paul

Old February 19th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Paul Stivers[_2_]

Ok, I found F4, uncheck opening book. But that appears to turn back on
too, every time I restart fritz or load a new game. Gosh fritz is
stubborn!

Old February 19th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
David Richerby

Paul Stivers wrote:
Correction, if I rename the engines, they don't run. On starting a
new game though, fritz will make moves. I think Fritz must be using
an opening book in this case.

This is what you'd expect. Chessbase engines use the UCI protocol
and, under that protocol, handling the opening book is the respon-
sibility of the interface, not the engine itself. So, while the
position is `in book', the interface is making the moves and doesn't
even know that there won't be an engine there when it needs it.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Generic Composer (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ pupil of Beethoven but it's just like