Recommended chess clients for beginners

Old July 29th 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Warren Post

Default Recommended chess clients for beginners

The public library I administer wants to promote chess to our target
audience, youths 12-25 years old with no previous exposure to the game.
I have no budget to buy chess sets or instruction books, but I do have
at my disposal our four public use computers and one iPad.

A quick web search turned up more possibilities than I could possibly
evaluate. Nor have I any experience with teaching chess, so I'm not the
ideal person to be doing the evaluation in any case.

So I am seeking recommendations for appropriate chess clients to
install. The criteria a

* Must run on one of Windows 8 in desktop mode, Ubuntu Linux 12.10, or
iOS 6.
* Must be available at no cost and have a license permitting public
library use. An open source license is preferred but not required.
* Preferably would have beginner-friendly features such as hints, a
visual indication of valid moves, integrated tutorials, etc. I'll
naturally help our visitors as possible, but (1) my time is limited, and
(2) I have more enthusiasm than skill. Our visitors would be best served
by software that enables beginners to start themselves when I am
unavailable, and can coach them beyond my meager level.
* Preferably would be visually attractive, something our target audience
expects in their games.

Suggestions?

--
Warren Post
http://my.opera.com/accomayagua/
Old July 29th 13, 08:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Martin Brown

On 29/07/2013 05:21, Warren Post wrote:
[...]

TASC is a bit long in the tooth but still hard to beat for school level
chess starting from beginners upto club standard. It will run on WinXP,
Vista and Win7 so probably is OK under Win8 but you might have to tweak
its environment settings a bit. It expects a very basic environment.

Not sure what its license terms are but you can still buy it today:

http://www.chesshouse.com/TASC_Chess...ess_p/a216.htm

May not be the cheapest. I got my copy for 5 ages ago.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 1st 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Monday, July 29, 2013 2:21:56 PM UTC+10, Warren Post wrote:
[...]

I would also recommend Chess Master, the AI with that is more about playing style, rather than winning a game, you can configure it to play along almost any style of game, and even after a full day of searching (provided you have a fairly full board) it likely won't be past about 16-24 ply deep, you can also configure opponents anywhere between the still formidable chess master to one which plays completely at random, i.e. just picking a valid move without any other calculation except a random number generator...
I learnt a lot about chess from it, play styles, such as blocking strategies, which restrict your opponents mobility, may sometimes be stronger than an all out attack, provided you have a long term goal, definitely worth taking a peek...
Old June 1st 14, 03:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Monday, June 2, 2014 12:15:33 AM UTC+10, wrote:
[...]

I also took the time to upload 4 screen shots to give some idea of what I mean...
http://imgur.com/QpGznOb
Besides being ascetically pleasing, the Grand-master edition (the one depicted) has some nice generalized chess tutorials.
Old December 17th 15, 12:46 PM
ade ade is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Post View Post

You can go through the catalog of Chess applications at chessfiles.com -
http://www.chessfiles.com/chess-applications.html