New guy w/ one Q on Computer Chess/thx...

Old February 16th 15, 08:05 PM
Regular Joe Regular Joe is offline
Junior Member

Question New guy w/ one Q on Computer Chess/thx...

Hoping for your guidance ..... I have one question.
Does anyone know of a Computer Chess game 'out there' functional on Windows 8 that will estimate/approximate & track my ELO within the confines of the game (and here is where I really need your help) AND that will let me stop in the middle of the game, save the game, return to the game over and over until the game is completed ????? Perhaps there are many that will permit this; however, I have been completely unable to find any except ChessRally 2.6 Gold Edition that I have used for years - my problem is that it stops at Windows 7.
I DO fully understand why Chess Game software is GENERALLY designed to NOT permit the player to stop & save & restart a game prior to completion.
Many thanks to all who have taken their time to read this post, and additionally to any of you who take time to reply to player in desperate need.
Old February 17th 15, 08:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Martin Brown

Default New guy w/ one Q on Computer Chess/thx...

On 16/02/2015 20:05, Regular Joe wrote:
Hoping for your guidance ..... I have one question.
Does anyone know of a Computer Chess game 'out there' functional on
Windows 8 that will estimate/approximate & track my ELO within the
confines of the game (and here is where I really need your help) AND
that will let me stop in the middle of the game, save the game, return
to the game over and over until the game is completed ????? Perhaps

Not sure that there will be any that allow you to do this in a timed
rated game since you could be going away and taking advice or running
another engine to choose your move(s).

there are many that will permit this; however, I have been completely
unable to find any except ChessRally 2.6 Gold Edition that I have used
for years - my problem is that it stops at Windows 7.
I DO fully understand why Chess Game software is GENERALLY designed to
NOT permit the player to stop & save & restart a game prior to
completion.
Many thanks to all who have taken their time to read this post, and
additionally to any of you who take time to reply to player in desperate
need.

If you want to improve your chess and have only limited time to study
then you could do a lot worse than try CT-Art 5 (I have v3) which is a
long series of chess puzzles which does show an ongoing rating and can
be interrupted at any time.

http://shop.chess.co.uk/CT-ART-5-0-C...-p/cb05010.htm

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 17th 15, 10:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Rainer

On 16/02/2015 21:05, Regular Joe wrote:
[...]

I guess you are looking for a chess server to play other people, and not
for a computer opponent to play against.

It seems to me that you are looking for a correspondence chess server.
Correspondence chess is timed, but the allowed time for your moves
measures in days.

Chess.com may fit your needs. It is browser-based and they have apps for
mobile devices. They offer fully functional free membership and various
paid plans. They call correspondence chess 'online chess' and
'turn-based chess'.

HTH,
Rainer
Old February 17th 15, 08:29 PM
Regular Joe Regular Joe is offline
Junior Member

Thank you very much Martin and Rainer. For clarity, I am adding that I am in search of a computer (PC) based game/opponent.
Old March 12th 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Op dinsdag 17 februari 2015 02:19:03 UTC+1 schreef Regular Joe:
Hoping for your guidance ..... I have one question.
Does anyone know of a Computer Chess game 'out there' functional on
Windows 8 that will estimate/approximate & track my ELO within the
confines of the game (and here is where I really need your help) AND
that will let me stop in the middle of the game, save the game, return
to the game over and over until the game is completed ?????

maybe-probably Shredder Classic, when playing against the engine whereby it is adapting its strength against your Elo, you can´t take back moves,
but you can save the game, and then exit the program (alt F4).
If you then startup the program again, it loads where you took off,
including time settings, and if its the engine´s move, only thing
you need to do is ´start calculation´ again, cntrl C.
So this should solve your problem,

good luck
jef
(not affiliated with shredderchess.com
but knowing its a good program from experience and reviews

PS now also in paperback format;

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Chess-O...dp/1326180770/

and reduced price on Amazon !

NB the Kindle version got five stars±
http://www.amazon.com/review/R96K1FZF39WOM/

Old May 19th 15, 05:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

correcting my earlier post, the kindle book had five stars,
but there now is a new edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Chess.../dp/B00WKE1HJC

Reviewxs welcome provided you look to the whole book
(and not only the preview); improvement suggestions
wrt layout and chess moves always welcome by mail,
then i can improve the kindle edition(s) if necessary
jef