Rebel3 and Windows 10

Old August 25th 15, 06:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
[email protected]

Default Rebel3 and Windows 10

Hi,

Does anyone know how to run Rebel 3 (Decade 10) on Windows 10?

I've tried DOSbox but it doesn't work with Rebel.
Tried the Compatability thing in W10 but no.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur
Old August 25th 15, 07:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
David Eather

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:59:53 +1000,
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to run Rebel 3 (Decade 10) on Windows 10?

I've tried DOSbox but it doesn't work with Rebel.
Tried the Compatability thing in W10 but no.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur

if you have a 64-bit machine then the answer is it won't run. 16-bit
functionality has been deleted, but it may work if you have a 32-bit system
Old August 26th 15, 01:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
[email protected]

Hi David,

Thanks for the bad news, it will keep me from wasting anymore time on
this subject.

I think I will use my very old WinXP machine as a dedicated chess
machine because I can't see abandoning Rebel.

Regards,

Arthur Smith
Old August 26th 15, 07:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Martin Brown

On 26/08/2015 01:32, wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the bad news, it will keep me from wasting anymore time on
this subject.

I think I will use my very old WinXP machine as a dedicated chess
machine because I can't see abandoning Rebel.

You should be able to install an old copy of XP setup inside a virtual
machine running on the new OS. Then you have the new faster CPU and the
old OS that supports the old 16bit components presumably in Rebel.

Chances are you have mislaid such prehistoric license keys but several
tools will recover them with ease.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 28th 15, 05:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
[email protected]

You should be able to install an old copy of XP setup inside a virtual
machine running on the new OS. Then you have the new faster CPU and the
old OS that supports the old 16bit components presumably in Rebel.

Chances are you have mislaid such prehistoric license keys but several
tools will recover them with ease.

Martin,

Thank you for your comments.

As you say I have mislaid my old Win Xp disk. What tools can be used
to recover them? I never thought to do that.

Regards,

Arthur Smith
Old August 28th 15, 12:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Martin Brown

On 28/08/2015 05:13, wrote:

You should be able to install an old copy of XP setup inside a virtual
machine running on the new OS. Then you have the new faster CPU and the
old OS that supports the old 16bit components presumably in Rebel.

Chances are you have mislaid such prehistoric license keys but several
tools will recover them with ease.

Martin,

Thank you for your comments.

As you say I have mislaid my old Win Xp disk. What tools can be used
to recover them? I never thought to do that.

NIRsoft (sp?) and Recover Keys will do it. The free version will only do
OS's. I had mislaid a genuine Office disk cover & key for Office XP.

Failing hard disk required a reinstall but without the key it was
impossible and MickeySoft just wanted me to buy new Office 2007.

https://recover-keys.com/

Is the one that has worked for me in the past.
I can't recall if it will find keys for chess programmes or not.

Seems unreasonable that they demand product registration but won't let
you know your magic codes again if you mislay the original packaging.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown