Fritz 14 is ****

Old November 24th 15, 08:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Martin Brown

Default Fritz 14 is ****

On 23/11/2015 22:37, Seymore4Head wrote:

Since Fritz causes my I7 to overheat, I installed it to an XP machine
to try the 32 bit version. I set up a board to practice checkmate
with a king and two bishops against the king.

Without the having the endgame tablebases installed you may be
disappointed at how chess poorly engines perform at endgames.

Shredder excels at this sort of thing using bitbases.

Before you blame Fritz for it change to one of the other weaker engines
provided free with the install. Comet or Crafty for instance. If your PC
still overheats or crashes then it is the PC at fault.

It crashed after one turn.

That seems highly unlikely unless there is something wrong with your
machine. Chess programs hammer memory and CPU hard so if there is any
intrinsic weakness at all in the hardware then they will find it.

Whilst Fritz isn't my favourite engine by any means there is nothing
wrong with it at all. You should register and download any updates in
case there is a fix. I have had Deep Fritz 14 x64 crash once or twice
but generally in fantasy puzzle problems with lots of queens.

I can't comment on the stability or otherwise of the 3D display as I
always play against it in classic diagram mode.

I prefer Shredder 10 for sparring against since its play is more nearly
natural and because it has compact tablebases for endgames.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown