International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died

Old April 13th 16, 02:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died

I was working registration at The World Chess Festival in 1988. A young chess master on the way in to the opening ceremonies approached me with an embarrassed look. "Can you tie this for me?" he said and held out an ugly, argyle necktie. I hauled him in a corner behind a potted tree, faced the wall, and discretely tied it around my neck. I slipped it off, slipped it on his, tucked it in and tightened it, and said, "Don't untie it, ever."

Jay and I were the same age.